Dextermoped's Shipwreck in the Sand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dextermoped's Shipwreck in the Sand

Well I moved my tank across town to my new place and it has allowed me to re-aquascape my tank. A rare feat for me. I usually just let my tank just do its own thing.

My tank's specs:
50g reef ready glass cage 36 x 18 x 18
2 96W PC 1-6700K 1- 50/50
Pressurized CO2 Injection
Eheim Canister filter
Aquaclear 50
2 Maxi Jet 1200 (I love current, die hard reefer its hard to give up)
Dose a capful of Flourish every water change
feed 4-5x a day for NO3 & PO4

Nitrates ~ 5ppm
CO2 ~ 18 PPM

I have to have my CO2 cranked really high with all the water movement going on. Pic of my Discus and Apisto hanging out by the powerhead.

My stocking list is kind of a mess
2 pigeon blood "Apricot Sunshine" Discus
28+ Cardinal tetras, I think, I might have more
16 Rummynose tetras
2 Striata Botia
1 Siamese Flying Fox
1 otocinclus
1 Apisto Cautiodes Double Orange
A ton of ghost and cherry shrimp dont ask me how they survive they just do.

I used to have more fish and in school groupings but my tanks are a little thick so its easy to lose fish and not notice it. Im really looking for more discus and Apistos but good ones are hard to come by.

Plant List:
Italian Val
Corkscrew Val
Japonica Blyxa
Micro Swords
Cryptocorne Spiralis

I was really trying to focus on a theme for this tank. I liked my old style but it was a little scatter brained I thought.

My theme was " A Shipwreck in the Sand", I wanted everything to flow and break on the sand banks I setup in the corner. I also wanted to setup a bunch of wood arches for the fish to swim through. Well here are the pics, thanks for all the suggestions.

And to all those that say Discus and Apistos wont get along

They are always together, I have a feeling when I increase their school levels that'll stop but I dont see any animosity between these two species.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 05:13 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Beautiful discus! Amazing color on those guys. I love the jungle look to the tank as well

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
gorgeous discus

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wow your discus have wonderful color. The tank seems to suit them.

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Algae Grower

Love the tank and your discus. Those fish you mentioned that aren't 'supposed' to get along with your discus, are those kind of like GBR??? Because they look like some type of dwarf cichild. I'm just wondering because I have a pair of GBR with 1 wild type Discus in my 37 Gallon, and they are getting along great.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah, apistogramma and GBR are closely related, dwarf cichlids. Everyone told me they wont get along since discus are related to cichlids, too. Ive moved the tank 3 times now and they still go back to being buddy buddy. Its fun, like the odd couple.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:06 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
discus are cichlids
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 01:07 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
I've never heard of Apricot Sunshine discus before. They are absolutely beautiful! If you're not seeing much aggression between them, you may have a sexed pair on your hands.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

actually I was just making fun of all the crazy names out there. These two came to me free courtesy of Petco, as pigeon blood's. They had a lot of yellow color in them so they didn't quite fit that. I was browsing a discus site and saw their coloring being called "apricot sunshine" or something. I used to call them "whammin' superman volcano" discus, but then I remembered this was FW and that adding crazy names doesnt get you a premium.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
I can't believe you got those fish at Petco. Are you pulling our legs? I thought I would open this thread and see a tank with one of those plastic resin sunken ships. This display is really nice and effective and simple.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 03:57 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Quote:
I thought I would open this thread and see a tank with one of those plastic resin sunken ships.
LOL that's exactly what i was thinking. Thank god i don't see any plastic pirate ships, or those "No fishing" signs.

Nice tank, love the discus! Are you sure you got them at a petco? O_o

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode