Low tech, low light 10 and 20 gallon tanks. Dailup beware!(updated 09/19/09) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cool Low tech, low light 10 and 20 gallon tanks. Dailup beware!(updated 09/19/09)

This is the 10 gallon set up on July 27th.

15 watt daylight.
filter that come with tank.
100 watt heater to keep it at about 78 degrees.

Excel 1m daily and trace when I remember.

Substrate is eco complete

Mostly crypts, water lettuce and Anubias.

4 white cloud mountian minnows and two dwarf platies. Snails that come in on some plants and one apple snail.

Day after set up.

Couple day ago.

Now The Peaks. (20 gallon)

Same plants and substrate.
Two 15 watt daylight bulbs.
This tank has been set up a while.

1 angelfish, 1 dwarf Gourami, 3 glass fish, 3 white cloud mountain minnows, 1 female betta

After redoing the plants to look nicer(and a nice trim the moss was taking over) and adding some rocks my husband was so proud of when he brought them to me.

Remember these are low tech tanks so don't be to hard on me. They also need some time to grow in some. And with luck Ill have some WCMM babies so I can add them to the 20 gallon.

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.

Last edited by Kolkri; 09-19-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:18 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Both look great. Loads of people are low teching on here
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yep I have been doing a lot of reading the last three years on here. Seen some very nice tanks. Mine sort of fall short compared to a lot of them here.
But don't stop me from trying. And most of my friends are impressed. But none of them have tanks at all and I even had a couple ask if my goldfish tank was salt water. So not sure they count.

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolkri View Post
Yep I have been doing a lot of reading the last three years on here. Seen some very nice tanks. Mine sort of fall short compared to a lot of them here. But don't stop me from trying.
I often feel the same, but at the end of the day, a lot of the really impressive tanks are pumped full of CO2, take a lot of hard work to look after etc. I like the fact that mine require minimal maintenance, and still look good in my eyes.

Quote:
And most of my friends are impressed. But none of them have tanks at all and I even had a couple ask if my goldfish tank was salt water. So not sure they count.
Lol, Saltwater Goldfish. That's a new one to me.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 05:44 PM

PTrader: (4/100%)
I like your tanks! The vals are awesome looking... I've always wanted a wall of them.
Your Angel is beautiful. I use to have one that had the same color and markings! But mine was not nearly as tall as yours is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinz180189 View Post
I like the fact that mine require minimal maintenance, and still look good in my eyes.
Thats exactly right! That is how I feel when it comes to tanks... Or anything for that matter. Sure there are the shiny smooth Mercedes out there, but I like my filthy off-roadin' ford explorer. It wont cost me thousands to repair like that Mercedes would. This is just on a smaller scale.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyRiver View Post
Thats exactly right! That is how I feel when it comes to tanks... Or anything for that matter. Sure there are the shiny smooth Mercedes out there, but I like my filthy off-roadin' ford explorer. It wont cost me thousands to repair like that Mercedes would. This is just on a smaller scale.
You got that right. I'll take my old beat up van over any of the newer vans with all the extra. To much to break on them. And I love my by hand roll down windows.

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Tanks look lush and healthy but could use some pruning

In you 20g, the 2 vertical rocks look too well placed and artificial. You might want to cover the bases with some substrate/plants and try out some spacing/orientation schemes to see what looks more natural.

Patience is the name of the game.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Prune? are you kidding I am trying to get more stuff to grow in.

I can't get any of the low growing plants to grow so gave up on them long ago.

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Algae Grower

hey Nice tanks Kolkri,

Was wondering for your 20 gallon, what hood do you use? I have a standard penn-plax type hood but I only have 1 light inside. Did you do a DIY? Im going low tech too.

Thanks
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No I didn't do it myself. I bought a dual strip light and it goes on my glass lid. It is nothing special no reflector or anything.
It's this one here.
However that tank is in front a window and gets very indirect light.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:12 AM
Algae Grower

Thank you Kolkri,

Is this something like your glass lid?

J

Quote:
No I didn't do it myself. I bought a dual strip light and it goes on my glass lid. It is nothing special no reflector or anything.
It's this one here.
However that tank is in front a window and gets very indirect light.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yep that's it. At some time I want to get one for my 10 gallon. Looks so much nicer. IMO

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Algae Grower

Also, from what Ive heard is that tanks are easier to maintain with a simple glass top

Quote:
Yep that's it. At some time I want to get one for my 10 gallon. Looks so much nicer. IMO
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:25 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Nice tanks.

I agree about the placement of "The Peaks"- I'd move them off to one side a bit so that the focal point is approx 1/3 of the way from one or the other side of the tank, instead of having them centered. I do really like those rocks, though, tell your hubby he done good!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would like to replace my Anubias assortment with something else. Any suggestions. I have always hated them but felt stuck with them cause they are not cheep. But they have got to go.

Tags
low light, low tech, no co2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode