The Planted Tank Forum banner

Planning a 130 Gallon Planted Tank

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  gdcox76 
#1 ·
I'm planning out a 130 Gallon tank the outside dimensions of the tank are 72x18x24. I got the tank used but it is in great shape. It came with the glass top and a Rena XP4 canister. I'm piecing this together as money permits so this is just planning. I hope I can get it setup by October but we will see. I thought I would post this now as feedback is welcome and I can still make changes!

So far I have the lights purchased from Catalina 4 x 80 Watt T5HO. They are 60" bulbs so there is somewhat less light on the tank ends.
(I have been advised that this might be excessive light but this way I have some play room)

I will be using pressurized CO2 and I think I have decided on using Rex's regulator and reactor setup found here http://www.bestaquariumregulator.com/CO2.html plus a Milwaukee PH controller. I'm still thinking about the controller I'm not sure if it is a necessary expense.

The substrate I am going to give the Mineralized option a try. I'll have to use pool filter sand instead of the colorquartz as I have tried without success to find anyone locally that can supply it. And I'm really not prepared to pay the price of Florite or others from the LFS for this big a tank.

I'll need a heater my question with this is that will I need more than one with the added heat from the lights would one be sufficient?

I have a plant list started it is probably much too long and I don't know whether I will be able to get everything on it. I have looked at many of the LFS at plants and there selection is a bit lacking/and pricey for what is offered. I'm willing to order online but I'm in Canada and I'm aware of problems getting plants across the border. I know I'm going to need quite a few plants to get this started right off the bat. So I'm looking for options here but plenty of time.

This is the list like I said not sure I need this many but these are the ones I have decided I want to try.

Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia
Anubia barteri nana
Bacopa caroliniana
Cardamine Lyrata
Ceratophyllum demersum
Echinodorus tenellus
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Limnophila sessiliflora
Lobelia cardinalis
Ludwigia inclinata 'Cuba'
Lysimachia nummularia 'Aurea'
Myriophyllum mattogrossense
Nymphaea zenkeri
Prosperpinaca palustris
Vallisneria (type to be determined)
I have no swords my experience has been that they have all out grown the tank any suggestions are welcome my tank height is 24"

Any comments about whether the XP4 filter will be sufficient or if I need something else would be appreciated as well.

I'm sure I have forgotten stuff but this is what I have so far!

See less See more
#5 ·
Raise the lights 6 inches or so above the tank, they should work fine. 6 inches at the ends of the tank won't be a big deal.

A 250W heater should be adequate, or you could use two smaller ones.

The XP4 is fine, a powerhead or two would help add circulation though. Hydor Koralias are relatively cheap and efficient (~$50 for the 1200GPH model). The flow with all the media in the canister will be pretty pathetic when you compare it to the size of the tank, but it holds plenty of media.

I'm planning out a 130 Gallon tank the outside dimensions of the tank are 72x18x24.

tank hieght is 18"
LxWxH or LxHxW? The tank is 18" tall, 24" wide?

#6 ·
I do not have a hanging kit as yet but that was the plan. It was supposed to be sent with the light and it didn't get included in my order, I'm going to try and figure out whether the Hanging mechanism for the TEK lights will work as I can get that locally and it looks very sleek as well.

The tank is 24" in height and 18" front to back. Sorry that was a mistype I'll fix it!

Ideally I would have liked a 72 x 24 x 24 but the price was right on this tank/filter that someone was selling on our Local forum so I jumped on it. I have been wanting to move up to a bigger tank and go with a pressurized system for about 15 years. Time and the expense have always kept me from committing. I finally decided to stop looking at it as a project that I needed a huge chunk of change for and I'm piecing it together slowly the end result will be that I actually do it instead of just thinking about it.

So let me see if I understand the powerhead issue the XP4 will pump enough gallons/hour but will have wimpy flow coming back into the tank so I need the powerheads to move the water around, do I have the jist of what your saying?

#7 ·
Ok so based on comments thus far I have done some more reading and of course I have MORE questions....LOL. I'm hoping that eventually I'm going to have more answers than questions but whatever it's keeping me busy.

The first is the Powerhead if I use the Hydor Koralias which size would I need for this size of tank?

The next questions are about a diffuser/reactor first what is the differance, is one "better" than the other and could people possibly make recommendations because I think this may be an area where "experience" is key.

#8 ·
I would go with a k3 or maybe a k4 IMO. I had a k1 and k2 on my 55 gallon tank, but I didn't have any stems, only short stubby plants. If you want to keep stems, go with a k3. I personally like diffusers better. My reactor didn't seem to make the plants pearl (not sure if it really matters if they pearl or not) a reactor will also slow down you xp4s flow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.