Finally getting it going! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
Finally getting it going!

I finally have the time and energy to start a planted tank. This is my first attempt at writing a journal and my first planted tank. Nothing major really, just an ADA 60p and the usual stuff to go with it. The d.i.y stand can be found here.

I have a 10lb CO2 tank that I purchased here, a Rex regulator with an Ideal needle valve I've order about two years ago but never got around to using because of renovations, sale and purchase of a home and not to mention the move and more renovations.

So finally, I'm able to relax and start my planted aquarium.

I'll begin with the pipe I used to hang the Tek lights from:

This little guy was great at getting the shavings nice and smooth:

When I was done with that I put the cable through the pipe after bending it of course Oh, I also used some old hole covers (spares that were laying around) for the end of the pipe from my leather office chair.

When both sides were done, I screwed the brackets on the back of the stand for the poles and this is the end result:

Here is a closer look at the leveler:

This is what it looks like from the side. I decided to go with the One Point Adjustable Cable Hanging Kit. The cable is so long that you can see the extra in the tank:

This is what the setup looks like:

Here's another shot:

I'll be experimenting with CO2. I got my hands on a Cal Aqua Labs CO2 diffuser at about the same time I bought the regulator. I got it shipped to me from Asia somewhere, I think it was Singapore although I'm not sure. Its been so long since I purchased it (I bought it directly from the manufacturer).

A friend of mine found out I was finally going to get my aquarium up and running and offered me a (never used) Eheim Compact+ Marine 1103. He been into saltwater aquariums for over 25 years. He had it sitting in his closet collecting dust and thought I would get a kick out of using it.

I originally wanted to have two aquariums up at the same time but for right now I'll just start with this one. I would like to thank both Coltonorr and Torpedobarb for the mineralized soil that they sent me. Too bad I'll have to put some aside because of the one tank getting setup.

One more thing, my wife actually got me so many things for the aquarium that I couldn't possibly use it all. She surprised me with the Tek Lights, Eheim 2217 canister filter and so many other things. I was just thinking about, "maybe", "perhaps" getting some of the things I had on my list but leave it to my wife to thank me for the new place that she actually bought some of the stuff on the list. I didn't have the heart to disappoint her because I have no intentions on using some of it.

Anyway more pics to follow.

Last edited by dantra; 08-06-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
looking good. i like how you hang your light fixture up like that . i been thinking hanging up my 72" coralife PC fixture too and go with top off go i can have more light in the tank .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

VICTOR PIMP #45: HPT270B-250
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Nice start. It is always good to hear such great stories about wives surprising husbands with aquarium stuff! Maybe mine will hop on that ship one of these days. What sort of end product are you looking for in this setup?

Can't wait to see more!

Charlie

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
sweet!

post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks chonhzilla. zillaKali you should really give it a shot. It was very simple. I’ve actually been to Home Depot so many times that the manager knows me. I used/purchased ス” conduit pipe for the lights and a ス” wide pipe bender. After I used the pipe bender I went to Home Depot for some usual household items and told the manager that I had purchased a pipe bender, used it once and didn’t need it anymore. Surprisingly the manager told me to bring it back for a refund if I wanted to. Wow, talk about service!

I took it back and got a refund. It kind of reminded me of Tom Barr suggesting to use the pipe bender then returning it for a refund. That manager is awesome.

Thanks CAM, my wife is so supportive it’s almost embarrassing. This is what she purchased for me without my consent… imagine that. Now that I think about it, she was sort of asking me a lot of questions about the tank months ago. I rambled on about some thing I thought I may want to try but they were just thoughts. I guess she took them seriously. This is what she got me "WITHOUT" my knowledge:

She also got me this:

Unfortunately she also purchased this for me:

Bless her heart, she was so excited when she unpacked it all.

Last edited by dantra; 08-05-2009 at 02:54 AM.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cam, I知 looking for some HC or dwarf hairgrass for the foreground and some stems for the background. I have about 80lbs of Seiryu Stone so I値l just use that as a springboard.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Wow this is awesome. Hey if you don't mind I you hit you up with a pm once I get started on the stand, to ask about consturction tips on how you made your light hang and the stand. Also I am excited to see what kind of scape you will make with your seiryu stone.

The Pimp-em Club
Straight pimpin' since 2009
- ADA Mini-M Pimp #7 -

post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks thief, It will be my pleasure to help you out anyway I can. Just shoot me a pm when you are ready.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

And it continues...

Hope you guys and gals aren't tired of the pictures yet because I have a few more.

This was from a group order I placed a while ago with A. Hill. I guess I won't be needing this considering I'll be using mineralized soil.

I got the Potassium Permanganate to wash the crap off of the plants when I actually get them in. The Alum was given to me by a biology major.

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is my CO2-10lb tank with the regulator attached I got from Rex Grigg . If you are wondering why the dual Ideal Needle Valves, It痴 because I was originally planning on going with two aquariums. Be that as it may, it really is a simple fix. I can either disconnect the manifold and attach the Ideal Needle Valve directly to the regulator or just leave it as is.

These are the check valves and the CO2 tubing I got from Rex.

post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Now comes the two methods of CO2 injection I知 contemplating using. The first method is the Cal Aqua inline diffuser.

And of course, the second method which is the Eheim Compact+ Marine 1103 pump usually used for skimmers.

I知 not sure which method I値l go with but truth be told, I知 leaning toward the pump. I need to get a reducer that goes from 1 to ス in order to use it.
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 11:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
I would try the diffuser first. I have an Iwaki md-10 on my rena xp1. The co2 is injected before the pump and the pump is before the filter. It works well but, im sure it uses allot more electricity and is noisier then the inline diffuser.

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The pump will feed independently from the filter except from the return. I'll just make a loop off the Eheim's return.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
You are going to try to feed the filter and pump from the same intake?

post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually I'll be experimenting with the idea of two intake one return, although I'm not sure yet. With the intake for the pump, I'll probably just put a small non-restrictive sponge on the end to stop most of the crap if not all of it from going to the pump.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode