Digsy's 58g re-scape (56K) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
Digsy's 58g re-scape (56K)

I don't know how much of a journal I'm going to have since this tank has been setup for years but I just did my first complete rescape. I had a huge BBA outbreak about two weeks ago and that was motivation for me to start over with my scape. All plants were from my existing scape but I may switch some of them out as this fills in. As always, any suggestions are welcome!

The specs:

Tank: 58 gallon Oceanic, oak stand
Lighting: Tek 36" 4x39w, 2 6700K Giesseman bulbs, 2 10000K Giesseman bulbs (soon to be switched out with all daylight bulbs)
Filtration: Marineland C-360
Water movement: Hydor Koralia 1
CO2: Aquariumplants.com regulator, Fabco NV-55 needle valve, diffused through Hagen Elite mini-filter
Substrate: Eco-complete

Fish:
  • 1 dozen rummynose tetras
  • 6 black neon tetras
  • 4 zebra loaches
  • 6 kuhli loaches
  • 6 otocinclus

Plants:
  • Glosso
  • Blyxa japonica
  • Lobelia cardinalis small form
  • Needle-leaf java fern
  • Polygonum sp. 'Kawagoeanum'
  • Polygonum sp. 'Sao Paulo'
  • Limnophila sp. 'mini'
  • Ludwigia glandulosa
  • Alternanthera reineckii 'rosaefolia'
  • Nymphaea micrantha
  • Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'
  • Lamiaceae sp.
  • Flame moss
  • Anubias nana
  • Hygrophila 'angustifolia'
  • Hygrophila sp. 'bihar'
  • Echinodorus 'vesuvius'
  • Various crypts

Here's a picture of the tank from several weeks ago. It had filled in considerably since then but had a lot of BBA and it was never really a planned scape, I just kept stuffing every plant I bought wherever it would fit.

Here's how it looks after 4 hours of work (these pictures make it obvious that I need to scrape more algae!) There are several longer stems in the back but they aren't standing up quite yet. I think once they perk up, that will look better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Digsy; 08-11-2009 at 04:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

One thing I'm wondering is if I should do a low growing grassy plant throughout the rest of the tank. I think that might look a little better but at the same time, I like the simplicity of what I have going now.

Also, I plan on adding some plants to the right of the driftwood but I'm not sure what might look good there...The Polygonums are really short stems but they would be behind whatever I put there so, with that in mind, any suggestions for a plant that would add to the right side?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I like it. Makes it look bigger. So much so I was thinking you should get more fish so your have bigger groups of each kind.
But once it grows in it should fill up some of the space.
Its a toss up on the ground cover. Me I don't care to have mow the lawn in my fish tanks. lol

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Kolkri! In fact, I had been thinking of adding more fish but can't make up my mind on what I want. I was initially going to try for discus but decided that I like my relatively high light setup so, I'm exploring other options. Adding more of the schooling fish might be the way to go.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
I like the rescape so far! A full carpet of Glosso would make this look very nice IMO.

I think if you just increase the number of the two schooling fish you have here now, it'd look pretty good.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Instead of discus how about a couple angels. Very nice fish.

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:51 AM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Some dwarf pikes would be neat. I've always thought a densely planted tank with a few C. notophthalmus would be great.

Your tetras might get eaten though.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 05:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Hey I like the new scape. It will look great when it fills in.

You might still have quite a bit of negative space up in both top corners. One thing that I have recently been noticing about plantings with open space is that they make a nice environment for showcasing larger, showy fish. jaidexl has a 65 with an open area in the upper right and an angel that occupies it very well. Here's a tank over on APC with very nice use of a shoal of congo tetras:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...tml#post486163
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolkri View Post
Instead of discus how about a couple angels. Very nice fish.
I'm actually not a fan of angels and would never even consider them but they probably would fill out the tank nicely, if I liked them. I really wanted to try my hand at Discus but I just don't think they'd be happy in my tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
Some dwarf pikes would be neat. I've always thought a densely planted tank with a few C. notophthalmus would be great.

Your tetras might get eaten though.
Yeah, I definitely want to keep my tetras, especially my rummynose as they are probably my favorite fish in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
Hey I like the new scape. It will look great when it fills in.

You might still have quite a bit of negative space up in both top corners. One thing that I have recently been noticing about plantings with open space is that they make a nice environment for showcasing larger, showy fish. jaidexl has a 65 with an open area in the upper right and an angel that occupies it very well. Here's a tank over on APC with very nice use of a shoal of congo tetras:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...tml#post486163
Thanks for the link Hydrophyte, I'll check that out! I'm going to look into the congos as they have piqued my interest.

I'd love more fish ideas as well if anyone thinks of anything that might do well with most of the fish I have now. Thanks again for the comments everyone!

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Heck, I thought the 'before' pic looked great! (But I like v2.0, too!)

Click here to see my dragons ->
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomaniac89 View Post
I like the rescape so far! A full carpet of Glosso would make this look very nice IMO.

I think if you just increase the number of the two schooling fish you have here now, it'd look pretty good.
Thanks Lego, I am hoping my glosso will take off but so far, it's only managed to grow vertically so, I don't know that I have much hope of making it spread throughout the tank.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
Heck, I thought the 'before' pic looked great! (But I like v2.0, too!)
Well, thanks for the compliments Strick. I have always wanted to do a clean, simple design in a tank so, that drove me to finally do it here. I have the tendency to overstuff plants in a tank and it's just too much maintenance sometimes.

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

At hydrophyte's suggestion, I've decided to add a school of congo tetras. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how many I should purchase? I know a decent number is required for a happy school but I've always been an understocker and it's hard for me to know what kind of bio-load my tank can bear, although I suspect with weekly water changes, it's higher than I think. Does a school of 8 sound doable? Can anyone see any potential problems with any of my current occupants? I was all set to buy some Congo males yesterday as my LFS had a tank full of them but then I saw one too many fish with fungus on their mouths and decided to pass.

I've also purchased a red plant package from gmmcreedy so, hopefully that will make my scape stand out a little more. Everything is a little too green for my taste right now.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here's an update for this week which includes all of the amazing red plants I received from gmmcreedy. I'm much happier now that I've got this filled in a little bit more. I'm awaiting a package containing a Nymphaea micrantha that I'm dying to get in this tank. On a not completely unrelated note, I went to an LFS that was having a big anniversary sale, fully intending to walk away empty handed but instead purchased a 105 gallon Oceanic. It was a BIG mistake going to the sale but, I've always wanted something bigger so, look for the upgrade in the not so distant future!

I still haven't tackled the tacky algae. Someday.

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2009, 07:04 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Oh wow, what an upgrade you have in your future! I have always wanted a 100 gallon+ tank. You better not let me down
That blyxa is going to look beast when it grows out. You've got a lot of open swimming space in this tank

-Chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode