Another 20 long tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Another 20 long tank

I had a 20 tall set up for about 3 years. It had its ups and downs from one time it looked like a jungle to when my timer stopped working while I was on vacation and the tank was empty when I came back. But after those 3 years, my stand decided that it was time to be retired.

Long story short, I decided to take advantage of petcos $1 a gallon sale and bought a 20 long, a nice new stand to go with it, and a new light.

I'm currently using an aqua clear hob filter, but my uncle has a fluval 205 I believe that I can have and all it needs is a new O ring.

As for my light, I decided to upgrade to a planted+ 24/7 and all I have used is 24/7 mode. I am in love with this light.
I am also using diy c02, dosing excel daily, and 2 ml of flourish on Mondays and thursdays.

I know everybody is ready for a picture, so here it is.

Right now the tank is currently housing 2 Amano shrimp and 2 nerite snails.

As for plants, it currently has:
Pitiful looking java moss
Dwarf sag
Crypt wendtii (not entirely sure, I just know they'really both crypts)
Ludwigia repent (I believe, I don't remember)

The ludwigia is just clippings from another tank so it's looking kind of thin.

I am going today to look for a new hardscape. I feel as if the tank is kind of bare. The right side looks great to me, but the left is boring. Any feedback and comments are much appreciated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I finally rescaped the tank.

Plants are red tiger lotus, cyperus helferi, crypt wendtii, and a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

As for fish, I only have an too and 2 cory cats. I plan to get more of each but that's all the store had.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
When mature a Crypt Wendtii will/can get 7-8" tall and 6-7" around.
When it matures the one on the left will somewhat hide the equipment behind it.
The one on the left actually looks like a Wendtii Bronze, but that one on the right sort of
looks like a genuine Crytocoryne Petco...LOL...
If you've noticed, Petco labels most of their plants "Assorted". When a plant breeder gets established they mainly just reproduce from what they have. After a few years of
inbreeding plants become adapted to where they are being grown. Ergo a distinct line
not completely like whatever it originally came from. I noticed that Petco's Crypts often look that way. Had one and it didn't completely resemble any other crypts.
Actually the one on the right also looks like a Crypt Petchii. If it is that will be full grown.
It's a nice start and likely to grow in well. Your choice of course, but you may let it do that for a couple of months before adding more to see how what you have works out.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was also thinking the crypt on the left was a wendtii bronze. I have had it for about 3 years when it was only 2 leaves. It melted away a few times over the years and now it is really starting to grow. I absolutely love it. It's sprouting a new leaf every other day or so. As for the other crypt, I have no clue what it is. I did buy one of those assorted crypts from petco about 3 years ago and that one plant has completely taken over a 55 gallon tank and I pulled a baby out and this is what it has grown into.

Overall, I am really enjoying this tank and I am just waiting for it to grow in.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This is currently how the tank looks. I kinda just planted all of my extra plants in it. This tank will be coming down shortly because I am buying my first house and I upgraded to a 60 gallon when it was on sale during black friday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160121_001313.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	578673  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode