Gabriel's 10g Self-Sustaining Planted Tank! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/100%)
Gabriel's 10g Self-Sustaining Planted Tank!

Hello, my name is Gabriel. I've been in the aquarium hobby for several years, dropped out early last year and then started back up at the beginning of July. This tank was a free of design style tank. I didn't have any real plans, I just wanted to make a planted tank and let life throw at me what to use.
I found a tank on craigslist that had a dual incandescent hood, and bought it for dirt cheap so I could have the hood and sell the rest for more then what I bought it for.
I bought two 15 Watt CFL's from walmart for six bucks and made them fit (rather tight in there). Ordered plants from a very great seller Digsy, and they have since grown greatly and they were pearling for two weeks straight almost. No co2 injection or ferts. Tap water with conditioner, and an aquaclear 50 filter with just a sponge in it.
This tank to my surprise has been self sustaining and I've not done a water change since the arrival of fish.
The fish contain:
3- Spotted Cories
3- Otos
3- male Guppies (by accident)
1- ultra pregnant female Guppy.

Enough talking, onto the pics!!!

First day of plants:

Current picture (as of 7/30/09):

The adult Golden Delta Guppy and Preggers female:

You can view my Picasa profile with all my pics here.

Thanks for reading, and happy fishes!
~Gabriel

Last edited by MistyRiver; 07-31-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

Pictures do not seem to be working... Will try again tomorrow to correct it. For now, you can use the link.
Thank you!
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 06:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How long have the fish been in? And what are the nitrate levels?

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
are you using the right tag for your image links? if you hit the little yellow icon above the message edit box you you will get a small pop-up that will put your image link in between "[img]" and "[/img]". it is not the standard html "img src" tag in case that is what you tried.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 12:15 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Here it is:

Very pretty.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Well, the floating water lettuce (I think that's what it is...) should suck up most of the nitrates...

But still, a water change every now and then shouldn't hurt

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I love that water lettuce. Now I need some for my tanks. lol
I love the "natural" un planed look.

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the replies!
I got the fish on July 17. I almost think I did do a water change about two days after that, but I'm not sure... Its been a busy month.
Regarding the water parameters, I have no idea! I don't have a test kit, and its not in the budget. On top of that, I'm pretty sure the people at petsmart (where I got my fish) pretty much hate me... So I don't think they'll be too happy about me going in there and asking for them to test it. Though, I don't think its too bad as the Otos seem really happy. I'm pretty sure they are sensitive, but correct me if I'm wrong.
I did notice however, that inside the filter there is stringy green/brown algae attached to the sponge and the outflow. Which, if I remember correctly is actually bacteria that feeds off cold water, nitrite, and photosynthesis. Though I might be mixing that up with something else, its been almost a year since I've studied biology.

I was using the boards image code as suggested, but it did not work... Maybe a mod could fix it?
I know how to work both HTML and the board language, but I've never had this happen. The code is correct, but I think maybe its the servers fault?

I want to sell some of the water lettuce (yes that is what I was told it is), I'll send you a PM.

~Gabe

Last edited by MistyRiver; 07-31-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Image Problem
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 07:49 PM

Gosh that's a lot of surface cover. Has it started blocking light to the other plants yet?
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinz180189 View Post
Gosh that's a lot of surface cover. Has it started blocking light to the other plants yet?
Yes it is, and yes it has! Hahaha.
Its both a good and bad thing... The fish Love it (especially the Cory's), one of the plants have since grown extremely fast (not sure what its called), but it slows down the Ludwigia repens.
Overall though, its great...
The only problem is that its reproducing so fast that I can't feed my fish easily. Its takes a bit of work to get them to separate just an inch for anything longer then a second! I've got it down now to the point where I can just push them aside with a finger or something, and then feed them well I'm holding it place.

Thank you sewingalot for the picture, by the way! I appreciate it!
~Gabe
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 08:13 PM

Lol sounds pretty mad! I'd just grab a big handful and rip it out every so often if it was me.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinz180189 View Post
Lol sounds pretty mad! I'd just grab a big handful and rip it out every so often if it was me.
Haha, yeah. I'm probably giving a hand full to Kolkri.
The stuff grows so rapidly that I think it will become an often RAOK'ed plant from me. Or even sell them local to a club here in my area.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 10:50 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
I put the pictures up for you. That was a tough one to figure out. Here was the workaround: right click on the picture you want and choose properties. Select and copy the location of the image. Copy this in between https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...hoto-album/...

Hope that helps. Very nice tank. I like the water lettuce a whole lot.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 05:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
I put the pictures up for you. That was a tough one to figure out. Here was the workaround: right click on the picture you want and choose properties. Select and copy the location of the image. Copy this in between https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...hoto-album/...

Hope that helps. Very nice tank. I like the water lettuce a whole lot.
Thats great! Thanks a lot! I'll remember that for future reference.

Thanks for the compliments.
I like the water lettuce also. It seems to be a pretty big hit...
~Gabe
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 05:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
See, the water lettuce is actually a curse! I laughed when I saw how much it had multiplied from the time you put it in. I'm glad to see everything is doing so well! I'm looking forward to your updates!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode