90g-Spring Flood *Updated 12/14/09* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
90g-Spring Flood *Updated 12/14/09*

Well I filled my 90 Gallon tank Tuesday night and so far so good!

This process has been on going since early May and I have learned a lot – with much more to go!. I would absolutely not have been able to do this with out the generous people in the planted tank – on line communities. I had ambitious plans and was able to find great information so that I wouldn’t have to re-invent the wheel at each step. There are two threads that provided a lot of information/ inspiration for me. These were written by very creative people and I took full advantage of the ideas they shared to help with my tank.

Steve Colley (scolley) from the PlantedTank.net
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-journals-photo-album/47667-son-kahuna-56k.html

Steve created a highly automated closed-loop system for his 180g planted Discus tank. I wanted to minimize the equipment contained in the tank and have a level of automation that would help keep the tank running during my too frequent business trips. This was Steve’s goal too.

Next is Devin Biggs (hydrophyte) from PlantedTank.net and Aquatic plant Central.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/85748-aquarium-stand-raw-industrial-style.html

Devin showcased this stand design in the link above and has also developed many “Riparium” style tanks show casing both submerged and emergent plants from various ecosystems. I really liked the clean lines of this stand – and the fact that I could get all the parts from Home Depot cut to size fit my wood working skills perfectly! I used Redwood and have been very pleased. The stand is rock solid and as the tank is in my garage (where my office is) the open look isn’t a problem. In fact I really like the way the industrial look of the stand and plumbing sets of the tank and it’s natural look. ( sorry I got carried away for a moment there, sounded like an art critic)

So, I am going to be going back to May in the subsequent posts to go over my adventure a bit, and hopefully give others a chance to see that this approach, while not for everyone, can be managed by non-techies with a bit of motivation. The real hard part starts now, I am hoping to keep the tank free from becoming an algae filled mess before it has a chance to grow out and reach it’s potential!

Here are a few things to come:

The planning stage – plumbing, lights, filters, substrate, controllers, CO2 (Mazzei injectors?)
Building the stand
Drilling the bottom of my Craigslist tank
Building and testing the plumbing
Dry (emergent) start method
The Apex controller

This will take awhile – my schedule is unpredictable, please forgive the inevitable posting delays - but I hope it will be helpful and entertaining. I do not pretend to have made all of the best choices and will share my mistakes along with my insights. So please comment/question/suggest/criticize as you see fit!

Last edited by billb; 12-14-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:04 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Excellent work! Looks like hydrophyte's stand design is catching on!
I love the look of the tank!

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
Excellent work! Looks like hydrophyte's stand design is catching on!
I love the look of the tank!
Thanks! I can't say enough about the stand. Hydrophyte has a winner here. Thinking about making a patio set and a work bench based on this!

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
this might be the coolest garage tanks yet. nice work!

What would Honey Badger do?

Last edited by oldpunk78; 07-31-2009 at 10:14 PM.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:49 PM
Aquascaper = Artist

PTrader: (104/100%)
looks good! what type of wood is that? it doesn't look like driftwood or manzanita. it isn't wood collected from your yard is it? you don't want to cause any problems.

the stand looks amazing, I especially like the brackets with the old style steel look.

Ken

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedobarb View Post
looks good! what type of wood is that? it doesn't look like driftwood or manzanita. it isn't wood collected from your yard is it? you don't want to cause any problems.

the stand looks amazing, I especially like the brackets with the old style steel look.

Ken
Well....I said I may not have made all the right choices! This was an educated guess and a risk I was willing to take - no fish yet but the snails are healthy ( yes pond snails survived my 3 week dry start)... The wood is Indian hawthorne, Rhaphiolepsis indica. It is a slow growing hardwood used for landscaping here in the dry south west. The plant has edible berries (for wildlife) and is a member of the Rosaceae family. It did come from my yard! I had pulled up another bush two years ago and this still graces my brush pile in back. Pretty rot resistant. I soaked this piece in the aquarium for weeks and had little but cloudy water come from it. That said, it is a risk and I will stock the tank slowly to ensure the wildlife doesn't succumb. Stay tuned!
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Hey, that is pretty cool layout. When I first saw your picture, I was like "hmm..this looks like hydrophyte's stand" and checked back the id

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Very cool. I love the concept of having an open tank. By that I mean that you can view it from all sides. That is something that I have been thinking about doing one day when I buy a house. I'm subscribed to this thread now. I can't wait to see your process of drilling the bottom and creating your plumbing scheme. Thanks for the awesome, albeit brand new, thread!!

Regards,

Charlie

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.

-
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good looking island display tank!
Filter system looks clean and well built
MD
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 04:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
hey that's really nice. that well lined with stones reminds me of talontsiawd's 29-gallon (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...-update-7.html). and i also like the exposed everything underneath. this will be cool to see more specs and details.

what is the tall grassy stuff? is that giant hairgrass (Eleocharis montevidensis)? it goes nicely with the wood that you selected. it will be intersting to see how that stuff grows in there.
post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
this looks awesome! great job dude! can you give us more specs as far as the plumbing goes?

oh and yes. scolley is also one of my personal heroes!

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
That looks great. The build is excellent.

Where did you get your fittings? I'll be building out a 120 in the next few months and I'm looking for the cheapest place to get a lot of PVC ball valves and true unions.

__
__
post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Malaybiswas - Thanks, Hydrophytes stand design was just what I needed - and easy to build!

MountainDew - The filter system is working well - and the blue print largely came from scolley.

Hydrophyte - Thanks for putting the stand design out there! I really like the way it looks - and I like the open view of the plumbing. The system was easy to build too. A winner.

That is E. montevidensis. I wanted a tall plant that wouldn't block the branches. A good hieght for a 2 ft tank too.

monkeyruler90 - spec's on the way!

jmhart - That did take awhile. Searching through the reef forum's I ran across this recommend:
http://flexpvc.com/

big selection - good prices. I will say that I found the local Ace Hardware had I better price on 3/4 inch threaded Ball Valves though - random.
post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had not had a tank in about ten years when a friend of mine started to build a pond in his back yard. In the process of looking up information about pond fish and plants, I stumbled onto PlantedTank.net. The hook was baited… My last tank was a planted 40g long. This died out while I was on a business trip (long story) and I decided I couldn’t put the time and effort required to have the tank I wanted. Well after reading scolley’s thread mentioned above, I realized that I could potentially introduce a level of automation that would take care of basic tank needs. The hook was set!

So after reading up as much as I could here is the tank I planned:

Closed loop system – mostly – Intakes and outlets would be through the tank bottom. I have split the tank intakes to include an over the top edge return too. This was done to maximize flow and CO2 distribution through out the tank. Filters, heater, UV, CO2 Mazzei Injector, dosing pumps, Temp and pH probes and finally the electrical grounding probe are all plumbed in-line.

90 Gallon Lee Marr Tank - 48 inches long by 18 inches deep by 24 inches tall. This was a Craigs List find. The tank was unused. The former owner had planned to use it as a sump for a 300+ gallon saltwater tank but then decided to go back to school instead. A call to LeeMarr determined that the tank did not have a tempered glass bottom – they cannot be drilled safely – and I made the purchase.

Metal Halide lighting - This is a 24 inch tall tank and I wanted an HC carpet which based on my reading, needs strong light. I debated on a T5HO fixture. I liked that I could get multiple bulbs with individual switches. The concept of having a burst of mid day light and the possibility to have the lights on for a longer period was attractive. In the end, I rationalized that the MH system would provide more light at the substrate and I liked the look better. A more recent finding: I really like the pool bottom type shimmer in the tank. Very cool. The two fixtures are 150 watt Fish Need It with 8k bulbs. I added two 3 by 12 inch strips of polished aluminum reflector to each side of the lights to block light spray into the surrounding room. My desk is right infront of the tank and I would have had to wear sunglasses with out this modification. I also figured the light should be going into the tank not the garage. Currently on from 8am to 4 pm

Heater – This is a Hydor Theo 400 watt unit contained in a Pentair/LifeGard single stage in-line heater module. The Hydor unit is shorter than other system rated at this power level and it fits into the module with out blocking the flow. Keep in mind that it is longer than the manufacturer recommends however – so this is not a suggestion that you do the same!. I will say that I am not a fan of LifeGard aquatics. I have had multiple QC problems ( a defective O-ring and a failed glue joint on a UV system) and the manufacturer has not been supportive. Next time I will build my own heater module.

UV - As mentioned above, I originally had a Pentair/LifeGard UV Aqua Step and ended up replacing it when a seam burst on testing. I decided to switch to the Aqua Ultraviolet Classic 25 watt system with ¾ inch fittings. Much more durable construction. UV is a "nice to have" but not a necessity according to the pundits. I am running it 24/7 at the moment and will cut this back as the tank stabilizes.

Filtration and Pumps - There is more to say here than will fit reasonably in the post. I will do a plumbing post soon. I learned a lot – sometimes painfully. There are two 1 inch bulkheads supplying water to the system.

These flow to a Steve Colley style manifold (see link in first post) where the water mixes and the temperature and pH levels are recorded. The manifold then splits into two separate loops.

A) This is driven by the Velocity T1 pump from Blue Line Aquatics. The pump so quiet! I have to touch it to find out if it is working. The T1 is rated at 540 gallons per hour at a 3’ head using ¾ inch pipe. It will do 120 gallons per hour with a 24 foot head. The heavy lifting and flow sensitive systems are on this loop
a. – An Ocean Clear 340 filter with a pleated 40 sq ft 25 micron insert.
b. The Heater module
c. The Aqua Ultraviolet UV light.
d. The Mazzei injector for CO2

Flow rate recommendations for UV systems are confusing. Basically you are looking at a dwell time and a UV light's wattage to determine if enough ionizing radiation is hitting your unwanted cell to scramble it’s DNA and kill it. I have more than enough to do away with green water at my measured flow rate – about 390 gph – but may be on the upper edge to kill parasites.

Testing on the deck ( old UV system)

B) This loop is driven by a used Iwaki MD40RLXT pump. I bought this 2 year old pump for $50. It had been used for a salt water tank and had some surface rust. I removed this, cleaned the fan and checked the impellor housing. It is working well!. This pump is noisier but throws a lot of water. It’s sole prurpose is to drive flow through an Ocean Clear 354 polybead biological filter. This contains 7 lbs of polyelthelyne beads providing a significant surface area for bacteria. The system can be back flushed in place while doing water changes. – this was another Craigs List find – unused for $50! (ThatPetPlace.com has them for $82 right now – an amazing price). This loop has a measured flow of 690 gph and returns through 1 inch pipe to a home made return at the top of the right hand side of the tank.

The pump

The return

CO2 system – As mentioned earlier, this uses a Mazzei 584 injector on filter loop “A”. This will receive a more detailed write up later. I have a 20lb tank and a Green Leaf Aquariums Ultimate CO2 Regulator

The Mazzei loop

Dosing Pumps - I have two Aqua Medic SP 1500 peristaltic pumps that have not yet been intalled. I do have the ports connected to Filter loop “A” and will install them after I get a better sense of my Ffertilizer regimen. These connect to ports after the Mazzei injector

The Apex Controller - This is the new controller from Neptune systems and it is the nerve center of the tank. I will go into more detail in a future post. I love the graphing function. It gave me some interesting insights into my temp and pH profiles over a 24 hour period!

Substrate - ADA Aquasoil 1 with Power Sand

Wood - Root and branches are Indian Hawthorn

Rock – I don’t know! A free way near my house was built recently and they carved through a hill of this stuff. There is an area where they dumped some pile of this rock and I was able to search for pieces that I wanted – I have several additional rocks that I really love but that wouldn’t fit in. If only I had that 4ft by 4ft by 2 ft tank…

Plants
• HC carpet
• Bocopa caroliniana
• Hygro var. Kompact
• Anubias barteri var nana
• Anubias barteri var nana petite
• Eleocharis montevidensis – Giant Hair Grass
• Diatoms – unwanted
• Long stringy green algae on a rootlet in the “river” – also unwanted

Temp - It’s in the garage and it is a little hot! The pumps and metal halides add about 5 degrees to ambient temps. Which had me pushing 83 degrees in the afternoon. I have since put a fan across the surface and evaporative cooling keeps it at 80 in the afternoon and 78 at night. Again the graph’s on the Apex are cool. I will be setting up two 120mm computer case fans in the future which will be under the temp control of the Apex. I would like to keep the temp more stable.

The tank is cycling – Ammonia is 3.0 currently

Tap water – pH 8.0. CO2 controlled to 6.9

kH (not calibrated yet) of 7 to 8

Ferts – Green Brighty step 1

A few recent pics:

Lot’s of pearling!

Hygro Kompact developing a nice pink/ copper color on new growth

Algae!

post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 09:47 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
That's some crazy plumbing you got going on there. It's way over my head but I like it for some reason.

Your hardscape has a very natural feel to it, but I think the branches are taking up too much attention. There's just too many little branches I think. Other then that, sweet setup!

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode