25 gallon, have lots of questions, and pics!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
25 gallon, have lots of questions, and pics!!!

Ok so I have always loved the look of planted tanks so i decided to start one of my own.. I have had this set up for over a month now and am quite pleased with it.. i dont know what kind of rocks i have but my tank stays right at 6.8- 7ph, so i dont think it is having any negative effects at all. I have sand on the very bottom, and eco-complete on the top. i am very proud of my cave like structure i have built out of rocks, with the little pool of rocks at the bottom. I would like to cover that top rock with some sort or moss, maybe that xmas moss, and have it almost flow off of the rock as a waterfall type thing. I have this purple stalked and leafed plant that i do not know what it is.. any help in IDing it would be appreciated. i also have what i think might be baby tears and some anacharis. As of right now my betta fish has the tank to himself, and loves the purple plant and the cave. All of the plants i have were given to me, and my only be temporary, except the purple plant, as me and the betta love it. So with all of that said... what would you recommend for the tank. I would like to put a school of tiger barbs and a Hillstream loach. Do you think i would be able to put in some CRS's? or would they get eaten? well thanks for lookin and any advice is greatly appreciated!!! OOOhh yeah.. sorry for the crappy pics, but how on earth do you guys take such good pics?

So this is my tank

This is my mystery purple plant. The leaves look thin in this pic, but they are fairly wide.

This is an interesting view of my little cave.

just another pic of the tank in its entirety.

Last edited by rachnhaze; 08-12-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
For plants, Personally I like stem plants, l like milfoil and "anacharis" the most... If you mentioned the lighting, one could recommend a ground cover and other plants to try... If you want a nice low maintenance tank, I recommend java fern. I have one and it is easy to grow. Moss is recommended for beginners often but it is messy before it is adjusted to the tank. It breaks apart and some of it floats around... I am a bit of a newb still, but I have tried plenty of plants.

Some people have bad luck keeping shrimp with bettas, apparently they get eaten. From what I've heard. To make both the tank and the betta look larger, you might want to pick a smaller fish than tiger barb/hillstream loach. Those fish are fine in that tank size, but... there are others, such as micro rasboras... MY 2 CENTS... A school of a dozen or so tiny fish looks better than 6 mid sized ones.

My tank sucks now

Fraternity of Dirt # 22
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

Nice start on the tank, very nice work with that cave.

Unfortunately, I think the lovely purple plant you have is also known as "Purple Hedge" - which isn't an aquatic plant and would do much better in a pot as a houseplant.

If you want a plant in that spot that might do OK in low lighting but still have some red or purple, you could consider Sunset Hygro, Crypts, or Ludwigia repens.

I can't tell but the green stem behind it looks like it might be Bacopa, if so that should do fine.

I wouldn't mix Tiger Barbs with a Betta, the Betta will end up nipped and constantly harassed as they won't be able to resist his fins. I also wouldn't try CRS for the reason Seds mentioned; you might try RCS once the tank is fully planted out as they are 1) cheaper, should they turn into just another Betta snack, and 2) would have more places to hide. Or Amano shrimp should work; they're large enough to be safe. Hillstream loaches need cool water, lots of veggie matter, and fast currents- so IMO have opposite needs from Bettas, so unfortunately another fish that I wouln't put in there.

You might consider some Sidthimunki loaches, and I think dwarf rasboras also might work nicely, or a school of small tetras. Check out the fish that www.InvertzFactory.com carries, they specialize a bit in "nano fish" and have quite a few species that would work well in your setup.

Last but not least, it can work best to not use the flash on your camera and to take pictures in a completely dark room with only the tank lights on (I usually take pics at night and turn off all the other lights in the room).

Keep us posted on how this tank comes together; I love watching this process!

The plant on the left is Anacharis, which should also work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 01:39 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Welcome to the Planted Tank! Laura has excellent advice, I would take her suggestions. I would also say not to put a tiger barb in with the betta. The CRS would probably survive but would get harrassed a lot by the fish if not eaten. Crypts would look great in this tank with the cave.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I put the betta in there while i was cleaning out his tank, and just left him in there.. he really likes it in there, but he can go back to his 10 gallon if need be. Will the tiger barbs get along with the RCS's and the hillstream loach? i really like they way they look. Haha like i said i was given these plants from someone who pulled them from there pond, so i figured hey there free, why not try them lol.. i really liked the color on the purple one, and it started to root and stuff.. but im going to take it out... actually on the first of the month im going buy some plants.. then pull everything out and start over... i will be leaving the cave there though, as i worked very hard on it and love it lol. i would love to find a small peice of that manzaniti wood to place on the opostie side of the cave.... ohhh i want to do it now.. lol but i will have to wait till payday lol.. well thanks for the tips, now im off to do more research as to what plants i want to purchase this weekend... im hoping to find some good stuff on here.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok so me and the hubby have decided to keep the betta in the big tank! He's just so happy in there, I dont think i could justify taking him out just to put different fish in there. So well get a school of neon tetras, they look like they will acentuate his colors nicley! So this weekend ima look around and decide what plants i want and do a major tank overhaul! wish me luck!!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You've got to check out the AAA, Atlanta Aquarium Association. You can buy so many things there for a few dollars, even unique fish. They meat 1st Thursday at Athens pizza place, 1341 Clairmont Rd, Decatur, 30033. At the end of the meeting they have an aution of plants etc. Items are put plags bags and autioned off.

Another place that you can buy plants a low price is aquaticplantdepot.com. Ph: 813-621-4213 in Florida. They have a website but it is cheaper if you call them. In fact when I visited the place a young man told me to call him and he would work out a deal.

Platys go nicely with Betta too.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachnhaze View Post
. So well get a school of neon tetras, they look like they will acentuate his colors nicley! So this weekend ima look around and decide what plants i want and do a major tank overhaul! wish me luck!!
id keep an eye out with having anything else in the tank with a betta. i've seen it done ok before, but at the same time, i just saw a betta basically destroy half of a face of a cardinal and kill it right before my eyes this weekend in my friend's 20 gallon tank. not to mention they originally started with 6 cardinals, and now they're down to 1.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well the betta has been around other fish before with no problems, just plain old 10 cent feeder fish that i housed with him while waiting to get feed to my Oscar.. but yes i shall keep a very close eye on him, especially since i watch my tank for several hours a day as it is right beside my bed!! So today i am doing an lighting upgrade and a few plants are being shipped to me as of today, so i will be posting more pics shortly!!!!!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok so ive got good news and bad.. Good news is i got my new plants in today, and got them all planted. So i got some hygro sunset, asian ambulia, two-leaved pearlweed, tall sag (not sure which species) xmas moss and narrow leaf java fern. All arrived well, and was very pleased (Thanks heydude819) Last night, i had bout 10 Neon Tetras and two Otos.. Now for the bad news. I had the fish, with my betta, in a holding tank. The betta was cohabiting quite nicely with the others, i was very excited. Well today, my lovely wonderful daughter thought she was going to be helpful and decided to pour a whole bottle of EasyBalance with Nitraban into the holding tank. I dont know how long they were in there, but rushed them to a different tank immediately, but unfortunately the betta and 7 of the Neons didnt make it.
Also, i did a lighting upgrade, and added some cold cathodes for moonlight. I did a DIY upgrade to two 27 watt new spiral florecents. So thats about 3 wpg. Well haha today. one of my new lightbulbs just quit on me, so ill have to replace it tomorrow. So anyhow... here are some new pics.. water is still cloudy, and only one lightbulb works. I also got 10 ghost shrimps for the time being, there just so cute i couldn't resist! Tomorrow i will take more pics with the other bulb and clear water!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Looks good so far. Sorry about your fish loss. It is most definitely to be mindful of pourables with little kids around fish tanks. When I was just five years old we had some neighbor kids over and one of them got a hold of a can of Ajax cleaner and you can imagine what that did when he poured the better part into our nice community tank.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
LOL my niece poured baby powder into her mom's tank. And a whole jar of fish food. Every fish died and I got the tank.

Your tank is off to a good start.

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)
The busted bulb actually complements the cave nicely lol. If I'd known you would have this much free space, I would've given you more freebies =)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Sorry to hear about your fish loss. You probably need to keep chemicals away from the kid's reach.

Tank is looking good so far.

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yeah, i have all my tank stuff in a basket, and had the basket out cause i was planting the tank and stuff. I had to run to the kitchen and came back to that mess.. but Heydude, thanks dont wory about the plants, there growing like crazy, so im going to trim and plant the trimings, and i redid the pearlweed, my bamboo shrimp kept uprooting it. The hygro is developing a nice red color already. I am getting a new camera on the first, so i will be able to take good pics then!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode