40G Planted BN Haven. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Talking 40G Planted BN Haven.

We had a baby girl around 2 months ago and I kinda lost time my main living room tank collapsed during this time. I lost most of the plants/and fish in the tank. I'm trying to get it back up and running now, which isnt easy... So I guess I can crank that Co2 up for now since I don't have any fish in there yet

I had a problem with 2 burnt up ballasts a while back and i've had small desktop fan in the hood since. The other day surfing amazon I found these little fans and they're run by a cell phone plug, seems to be working great and hopefully alot less water evap than the little desk fan I was using

No where near where I want it but it's a start... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by BDoss1985; 10-17-2015 at 12:08 AM. Reason: New pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update added a few more plants... still no fish. Trying to get everything really started first but im worried Petsmart will be out of SAE when I get ready.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 05:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Pretty cool tank.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Had s repens in front but every time I try it just melts away.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Brian D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Changed some things around built a pleco condo w planters

Brian D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I think you'll get tired of that new addition soon. But that looks like Amazon in the left corner. They get 22" tall and almost that big around when fully mature.
You have quite a variety of plants. I'd just let them grow in more.
First picture in post #2 looked great. Just needs to grow in a bit. Those small plants in front of that log in the back...they should likely be in front as they will get lost after more growth happens.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I'll keep the sword and vals trimmed back some I was worried about water movement in the caves but it moves through them great. I think you're right about the anubis though it needs to come to the front..... Can you cut some of the roots off of it? It grew in betta tanks some of the roots are 5 inches long out or so and only a plant in one end.

Brian D

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Just be conservative about trimming them. They should be tied to rock or wood instead
of planted.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

K Will do, the roots are huge compared to the plants lol

Brian D

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got some changes, The cypress was just too hard to work around so I took it on out. Moved Anubias to a piece of manzanita, moved the Buce covered Cholla on up also.

Added 3 SAE except for the one Gourami it's a algae eating tank, using Repashy Morning Wood... Algae wafers, and every vegetable I can.

Riccia is tied down to a slate tile, no place to put it and i cant stand scrapping it

The Marsilea minuta from @Bartohog is really starting to take off last week or so. If it keeps going ill let it take over where the dwarf sag is.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Brian D

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 02:51 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Well... After some time of growing I can tell that I like it :-) :-) nice colors, and I like reds a lot :-)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 02:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looking good!

But where's the Bristle Noses?!?!

By the way, how do they like the Repashy Morning Wood?
I haven't tried that formula yet (primarily use Soilent Green for my algae eaters).
I don't think BN (ancistrus) eat much wood though, at least not nearly as much as the main wood eaters (Panaque).

Oh yeah, have you tested to see if that slate is raising your pH?
I bought similar looking slate from Home Depot (was planning to make pleco caves as well) and tested it several times for over a month, even scrubbing it down a ton, and it still would leach metals raising the pH.
I know most slate is inert and supposedly safe, but if it has any metallic streaks (I think the red patches even are iron deposits?) then it will leach metals and is therefore not inert.
But you tanks looks to be doing well (at least plant wise) and it's been a while so I assume it's alright. Might be leaching, but your plants and co2 might be countering/reducing it.

By the way, I think breeding plecos much prefer closed end caves (so they can guard the cave/fry/eggs) rather than both ends having a opening.

Take much string to tie down that Riccia?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLife View Post
Looking good!

But where's the Bristle Noses?!?!

By the way, how do they like the Repashy Morning Wood?
I haven't tried that formula yet (primarily use Soilent Green for my algae eaters).
I don't think BN (ancistrus) eat much wood though, at least not nearly as much as the main wood eaters (Panaque).

Oh yeah, have you tested to see if that slate is raising your pH?
I bought similar looking slate from Home Depot (was planning to make pleco caves as well) and tested it several times for over a month, even scrubbing it down a ton, and it still would leach metals raising the pH.
I know most slate is inert and supposedly safe, but if it has any metallic streaks (I think the red patches even are iron deposits?) then it will leach metals and is therefore not inert.
But you tanks looks to be doing well (at least plant wise) and it's been a while so I assume it's alright. Might be leaching, but your plants and co2 might be countering/reducing it.

By the way, I think breeding plecos much prefer closed end caves (so they can guard the cave/fry/eggs) rather than both ends having a opening.

Take much string to tie down that Riccia?
The BN hide so good lol, usually hanging upside down in the caves during lights on.

The Repashy morning wood isn't their favorite I see the Sae and snails eating most of it, BN are spoiled to sweet potatoes and fresh veggies.

I haven't noticed a ph difference since the slate, it stays around 7.5 and drops to 6.5 mid day with the co2.

Ive heard bn like closed of caves for breeding, when they get to breeding size i may scoot the caves against the back glass. As they are i get water flow through the caves.

Brian D

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Missed that Riccia part, i removed them because no matter how good you tie down riccia it gets free lol. You can keep pads floating on top no problem.

Brian D

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode