Low tech 55 gallon - First planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low tech 55 gallon - First planted tank

Update: 1/22/16

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This would be my first planted tank. I expect a few types of plants to be taken out and replaced, since some on the list seem to be(from my internet reading), not well suited for low-tech, low-light setups.

I will also be adding a few plants to fill the open areas within a few weeks or so.... any suggestions welcome!

55 gallon

- No co2, daily dose of excel(recommended dose for now)
- seachem ferts, and root tabs(recommended dose for now)
- Eco complete substrate
- 2 Aquaclear70 HOB filters
- 2 Finnex Stingray leds
- glass canopies

Stock
- 10 neon tetras
- a dozen or so dwarf shrimp(blue, red)
- 3 amano shrimp
- 1 twig whiptail catfish
- 1 cory catfish(exact type unknown)
- 2 dwarf african frogs
- a dozen nerite snails
---to be added---
- 12 espei rasboras
- 10 dwarf neon yellow shrimp
- either otos, or SAE's

Plants
- Giant Hygrophilia corymbosa
- Hygrophilia corymbosa strictra(compact)
- Hygrophilia corymbosa semiensis
- Pygmy Chain sword(E. Tenellus)
- Dwarf Hairgrass(eleocharis parvula)
- Dwarf four leaf clover( Marsilea Hirsuta)
- Bacopa caroliniana
- Ludwigia repens
- cryptocoryne parva
- Staurogene repens
- anubias nana

johnson18 and johnson18 like this.

Last edited by jcmv4792; 01-23-2016 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Additional info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 02:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Good job! This should look great once filled in!

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 03:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looks promising, now all you need is tincture of patience. Ha, ha, easy to say. Hard for a lot of people (yours truly included) to practice.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

Last edited by Daisy Mae; 08-07-2015 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Typo

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
Looks promising, now all you need is tincture of patience. Ha, ha, easy to say. Hard for a lot of people (yours truly included) to practice.
lol, It's going to be hard! But will definitely be worth it if they manage to survive/grow in the end.

Do you think there's space around the hygros for some smaller plants? Or will the leaves eventually "blossom" out and cover the surrounding area? Though I know there's some space I could fill in, infront of the hygros(behind the crypts on the left, and behind the stauros on the right).
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 04:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmv4792 View Post
Do you think there's space around the hygros for some smaller plants? Or will the leaves eventually "blossom" out and cover the surrounding area? Though I know there's some space I could fill in, in front of the hygros(behind the crypts on the left, and behind the stauros on the right).
You're talking about the hygrophila corymbosa compacta, right?
I don't have personal experience with this plant but looking closely at the myriad google images available, it looks like most of the lush looking specimens are multi-stemmed. Which makes me wonder whether they were small bunches of three-ish stems planted together. So you could probably put a few more stems in the assigned area for this plant. I'm sure someone else can comment on this.

Personally, I'd be tempted to put a few more stems of the ludwigia repens in the middle. Only because they have smaller leaves, compared to the giant hygros. If you only have one row there now, you could put another row in front of it, but staggered. I can't really tell if you have one row there, or two rows but staggered.

Or, you could just wait for now, see what does well, and adjust from there. Probably the smart thing to do. Which we hobbyists don't always want to do.

Daisy Mae V
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
You're talking about the hygrophila corymbosa compacta, right?
I don't have personal experience with this plant but looking closely at the myriad google images available, it looks like most of the lush looking specimens are multi-stemmed. Which makes me wonder whether they were small bunches of three-ish stems planted together. So you could probably put a few more stems in the assigned area for this plant. I'm sure someone else can comment on this.

Personally, I'd be tempted to put a few more stems of the ludwigia repens in the middle. Only because they have smaller leaves, compared to the giant hygros. If you only have one row there now, you could put another row in front of it, but staggered. I can't really tell if you have one row there, or two rows but staggered.

Or, you could just wait for now, see what does well, and adjust from there. Probably the smart thing to do. Which we hobbyists don't always want to do.
Yup there's only one row of the ludwigia. Though they're all the way at the back, so the light is hitting them at a slight angle instead of straight down...would staggering them be bad in terms of blocking light from eachother? I've seen them grown like that in other setups, but I'm guessing those were high light and co2 injected. I'm going to have to check again, but the PAR is around 25-30 at the floor.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 05:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Phototropism will happen

Staggering them would be good, actually. The leaves and plants will arrange themselves in order to maximize light absorption at the leaves.

Daisy Mae V
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 01:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Add Otos, not SAE. SAE are a pain when they get bigger, and they will. I like the modest stocking, but be careful with your frogs. They aren't the most aggressive eaters and may not get enough food.

The tank is beautiful and will definitely shape up very well! I like it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
Add Otos, not SAE. SAE are a pain when they get bigger, and they will. I like the modest stocking, but be careful with your frogs. They aren't the most aggressive eaters and may not get enough food.

Thanks for the heads up. What do you mean by "pain" though? Do they destroy
plants?

I wasn't planning on keeping these frogs but the other day my mother showed up with these and the twig whiptail catfish...so now they're living here lol. I was going to take them back but they're pretty fun to observe. For now I've been tong feeding the frogs some bloodworms.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
congrats on getting everything put together! I know from your posts you've done a lot of homework. Looking forward to seeing how this all comes together.

I like the stocking list. Do keep in mind that mixing up various colors of shrimps will eventually lead to generations of "wild" colored shrimp. Do a search for "skittle tank" for more info. I personally have zero problem with that occurring in my tanks.

Good luck! keep the journal updated!

PS: agreed with the SAE thing. they get a lot bigger than anything else you have listed - and eat less and less algae the older they get.

-120g-
- Praecox Dwarf Rainbowfish, Glowlight Danio, Rummynose Tetra, Leopard Danio, Ember Tetra, Scarlet Badis, Anchor Catfish, Red Cherry Shrimp, Assassin Snail, Neirite Snail
-20G L -
- Celestial Pearl Danio, Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Tank Journal (120):

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post

I agree, my 6 year old SAE don't eat any algae.
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmv4792 View Post
Thanks for the heads up. What do you mean by "pain" though? Do they destroy
plants?

I wasn't planning on keeping these frogs but the other day my mother showed up with these and the twig whiptail catfish...so now they're living here lol. I was going to take them back but they're pretty fun to observe. For now I've been tong feeding the frogs some bloodworms.
You're in good shape with the frogs then! They just need to be observed to make sure they do get some food.

As for the SAE, I've heard they get lazy. I've heard some get aggressive. They are definitely too big though. Otos are completely peaceful and you can have quite a few of them in a tank this size. They are a better community fish overall when compared to a SAE.

post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-07-2015, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh I see. I was going to fill that slot for "permanent" algae eaters.. so I'll get the otos instead of SAE's.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
congrats on getting everything put together! I know from your posts you've done a lot of homework. Looking forward to seeing how this all comes together.

I like the stocking list. Do keep in mind that mixing up various colors of shrimps will eventually lead to generations of "wild" colored shrimp. Do a search for "skittle tank" for more info. I personally have zero problem with that occurring in my tanks.

Good luck! keep the journal updated!

PS: agreed with the SAE thing. they get a lot bigger than anything else you have listed - and eat less and less algae the older they get.
I forgot they were the same type of shrimp.. didn't take the mixing into consideration. I probably won't mind.
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Glad to see you started a journal.
I too should start one.

Looks good so far!
Patience and more plants.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 06:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot
What substrate are you using?

Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode