29 Gallon: First Planted Aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation 29 Gallon: First Planted Aquarium

Well, I am new to this forum and I thought I would start my first Tank Journal. I currently have a 20L FW, 90G SW, a empty 5.5G, and a 14G at my moms house. I am planning to upgrade to a 29G from my 20L once I get back home to my dads. This is what I plan to have(more to come):

Plants:
HR as the foreground
Moss balls
Not sure on what else yet

Decor:
Piece of Driftwood w/Java moss
Rocks

Substrate:
not sure what to use that will be good for plants, but I want something light colored or maybe black(help/advice please!)

Fish(please tell me if these are not good together or too much):
2 German Blue Rams(still to buy)
6 Sparkling Gouramis(still to buy)
6 Cardinal Tetras(still to buy)
6 Glofish(still to buy)
1 Angelfish(already have)
1 Albino Pleco(already have)
4 Mystrey Snails-Ivory, Albino, Blue, Black(already have- I can move these to my other tank if they aren't good with plants)
And I also have about 3 or 4 Neon Tetras(not sure if I still have them, but if I do have them I will get what ever amount more of cardinal tetras to make 6 tetras instead of buying 6 cardinal tetras)
Then I will have a Betta Barrack with 4 male bettas in it.
PLEASE let me know if this is too many fish because I think it might be, but I have 2 filters which will keep the tank clean enough if needed.

So this is the plan:
I am going to just buy the TANK because I already have the hood, and filters. So all I would have to buy is new bulbs for plants, a heater, and a digital theometer. Oh and I will also be building a DIY stand for the tank

I know people don't like to post unless you have pictures, but I would really like some advice on some stuff first.

But I promise to post step by step photos of my progress when I start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I found what substrate I am going to use(well kind of) I am going to use play sand from home depot(the bigger grain type) with some type of soil that you use for plants(any advice on which I should use?)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Anything organic should work. Check out http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhobby View Post
Anything organic should work. Check out http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/
Okay thanks for your help

I was debating weather to get a 37 gallon since they are the same demensions, but taller. I thought they wouldn't have them at many pet stores since they are an odd-ball size, but I was at PETCO today and they had one! So I will be getting a 37 gallon instead
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I will be going to Big Al's tomorrow, and will finally be getting my 37 gallon! I can't wait
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay well I got the tank set-up, but all it has in it now is fish and that's it xD Here is a picture:[br]

[br]
What I plan to do, is get some playsand from home depot for the subtrate. Then I hope to get a nice piece of DW that is kind of like a branch that will be tall. Then I will cover the DW with x-mass moss, and use HC as a foreground.[br]
I know I should of set-up the hardscape before getting fish, but I had limited funds and I would rather have fish before a hardscape. But here is what I have in fish:
1 Wild-Type Discus
3 Angel Fish(1 Large, 2 dime size)
10 Neon Tetras
3 Black Neon Tetras
2 Glofish
1 Gold Long-fin Zebra Danio
2 GBR
1 Little Peacock Cichlid(plan to move out when bigger)
1 Female Opline Gourami that I got from my friend because she was being picked on
1 Albino Pleco
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
You albino pleco should go back. (They get up to 2 feet in fish tanks and make a huge mess. I seen one that was 3 foot in a fish tank.)

Your discus well also outgrow that tank. And not a good biginer fish.

3 angelfish well fight a lot but you can hope you get a pair out of the three and rehome the other one.

Some more danio's would be nice either the glofish or the long fin they like to be in groups of their own kind.

If you keep the angels you neons well become a snack,

Might want to research your fish before you get them.

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have had my Albino Pleco for months and he is still a baby. When he does get bigger, I will be giving him to my friend with a bigger tank.

I'm not a beginner at fish so I know how to take care of a Discus, and he will also be going to my friend with a bigger tank once he gets bigger.

I plan to get more glofish. And they actually all school together because my Pink Glofish actually has long fins.

And as for the Angelfish eating the neons, I have had them together for over a year now and they have never eaten them.

Thanks for the suggestions

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode