Rubberman's 90 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
GTR
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Rubberman's 90

I've been keeping tanks on and off since 1965 or so. Three kids and all that had me in an out several times. The last getting out of the hobby was Feb 2008. That was SW though which I had been doing for 18 years straight. At 13 I had a 6 foot, 3 tier, cinder block and 2 x's full of tanks largest being 20G. Raised some fish and traded with the LFS for supplies. Parents took me to monthly fish geek meetings and picked me up after they were over. lol

I've always been amazed by planted tanks and had a 20g back in the 60's and a 60g in the 70's. Never did much for them other than a few root tabs and a common strip light.

Anyway, good friend of mine that had a LFS for several years closed down a few months back. When he was closing he offered me the display tank he had in the store. At the time it had 2 x's 150W MH. I wasn't interested in hanging those so we went first with 110 VHO x's 4 but in a couple weeks the algae was going nuts and the water was green. lol Switched to a Nova 54w T5HO x's 4. It has two ballasts so I could limit the time all 4 bulbs were on.

It had pressurized CO2 all along but was running at about 1 BPS. I tried that for a while and not much good was growing. Got a drop checker and found really low CO2 levels. I've never done this so to ME it was a surprise. Started cranking up the CO2 the added a DIY reactor and another XP3. CO2 injection prior was via a single diffuser that I couldn't keep working.

At this point I can't believe how fast some things are growing. Some stem plants look like they need trimming after 3-4 days. lol

I'm pretty happy with it but as time goes by I can see some changes being made. One thing I wish is that the Java moss wasn't on the large driftwood. It will be a while though before I have the nerve to pull it out and work on it. I get so much enjoyment looking at the tank and even working in it.

I've gotten much more support from Barbara because this tanks has LOTS of fish. With the reefs in the past fish were always secondary and needed to earn their keep by eating something I didn't want. lol

Enough (more than) background I guess.

Here's the fullest FTS I can get. A little skewed but you get the idea.

SteveU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
GTR
Wannabe Guru

See all the Flying Foxes? They gotta go, just need to get out the trap and get them eating out of it. They weren't in the tank before but the day they cleared all the fish from the store he said, "Here, take these."
It think that was driven by some perverse sense of humor. lol These are the only fish in the tank that are after each other full time.

SteveU
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
GTR
Wannabe Guru

This shot was about 30 days ago. Foreground plants were being overrun by BGA.

Made some adjustments in flow from one of the XP3s, cranked up the CO2 a little more and started dosing Seachem's full line. Made so many changes I have no idea which is solving the problem but still I'm happy. Most of the dark area seen in the pic is some chain sword I'd rater be without.

Same area of the tank yesterday...

Once I'm a little more confident I might try replacing that foreground with something a little more petite looking.

SteveU

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:16 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looking good!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
i like your tank, looks very nice and different

Aqueon 120 gallon community (planted)
ADA 120p - 65 gallon community (planted)
Eclipse system II tall - 30 gallon - mixed community (non planted)
AGA 20 gallon - lake Tanganyika shell dwellers (semi planted)
6.6 gallon nano planted red cherry shrimp (planted)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That sure is a beautiful tank. What are the dimensions? I really like the contrast of greens and reds you have here. The only things that I might do differently if it were my tank are: 1) Add some mid-ground plants between your foreground coverage plants and your taller stems in the rear; 2) Lose or move the sword in the middle. However, this is a gorgeous setup as is. Thanks for the nice pictures!

Regards,

Charlie Mims

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
GTR
Wannabe Guru

Thanks all. Most of those plants just sat not growing before I brought it home. After about 3 weeks I sent some pics to the friend that had it before and he couldn't believe it. The tallest leaf on that sword was about 4". After about 6 weeks I could see it's days would be numbered. lol It's a shame though, beautiful plant. One of the few I could grow with root tabs and standard florescent 30 years ago. lol

As for mid ground, I've been messing with some stems to create another level in front of the taller ones. It works but boy it takes lots of trimming to keep them in place, every other day or so. Now that I'm finding how fast things can grow I'll be a little more inclined to make some changes knowing it wont take forever to fill in the wounded areas.

Tank is 48" x 18" x 24" tall.

SteveU
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 07:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
That's really nice. Your plants and fish look happy.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
GTR
Wannabe Guru

Couple shots while I decide what's for dinner. lol

SteveU
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (55/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jinsei888 Send a message via MSN to jinsei888 Send a message via Yahoo to jinsei888 Send a message via Skype™ to jinsei888
fantastic tank you've got there! I can see the years of experience serve you well!

Terence K.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 12:43 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post
This shot was about 30 days ago. Foreground plants were being overrun by BGA.

SteveU
what is the large stem plant in the middle?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
Looks like Rotalla Rotundifolia.

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
nice tank ..!!!!

VICTOR PIMP #45: HPT270B-250
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
GTR
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSM View Post
If someone could tell me the difference between Rotala sp Macranda "green" and Rotalla Rotundifolia I might be able to answer that. lol

SteveU

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode