Zog's tank journal, fish photo thread - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Zog's tank journal, fish photo thread

Hey everyone, here's some photos and info on the different tanks I keep. Some are for breeding, some are for show

First up is my little 30cm tank. This has had a few past lives, but has now been a livebearer tank for over a year. It only gets minimal light and is unfiltered, relying on plants and water changes.

Fish:
Guppies, a mix of 2nd generation females and one male who's about a year and a half old, bought from a club event. Variatus platys who are 2nd and 3rd generation from some LFS stock.

Plants:
Common hairgrass, crypt parva, utricularia gibba and the weird long leaved plant that reaches for the top. This unknown plant was a hitchhiker and looked like a tiny e.tenellus. Much later it went crazy after the tank got a little more light/care and has now sent a runner and made a second plant. I plan on spreading it to other tanks to test it.

Thanks for coming, and don't forget to purchase some orange drink, for the long drive home! -Principal Skinner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here is my 60cm loungeroom tank.

Lighting is a simple twin t5 light, 24w total I do believe. Ferts are simply "Basic grow" and "daily grow" by aquasonic and Dino spit from sponsor Aquagreen.

Fish: Remaining two female rosy tetra (Hyphessobrycon Rosaceus) and Norman's lampeye killifish (Aplocheilichthys Normani). Sadly the rest of each school died during those few ridiculously hot days we got in a row here during summer.

I also have a pair of Epiplatys bifasciatus. Sadly I believe both are female. I bought the remaining two the store had, but might ask if I can get more in sometime. These really are cool, having hidden constantly when I kept them in a smaller tank on their own, they are now always on show. In fact, the easiest fish to photograph

Plants: Filigree milfoil, some java fern "Windelov" and bolbitis, Microcarpaea minima, Hydrocotyle tripartita and Marsilea hirsuta.

tank before planting.

Not a fish you usually find in a local store

Two weeks after planting. The milfoil was added as short pieces, about 5cm long. This is how fast it grows in my crummy conditions

Pennywort from Aquagreen growing well from the tiny pieces I initially added to the tank.

This is my view from the couch.

Lampeyes, male at back, female at front

These two are happy to have some cover now

Above shot showing characteristic white spot that many similar killifish have as well

Milfoil grows sideways when it runs out of room!

Hardy rosy tetras survived minimal care from family when I went house sitting a year or two ago, then moving house, but not heatwave. Sadly, they are both female I can't breed them back. (I used to get fry, but used to have an empire gudgeon with them at the time so I've missed my chance to successfully raise them)

Thanks for coming, and don't forget to purchase some orange drink, for the long drive home! -Principal Skinner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
breeding, guppy, killi, killifish, livebearer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode