55 Bucephalandra Build – looking for input - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
55 Bucephalandra Build – looking for input

I’ve recently been making a return to aquariums after a few year hiatus. This was stemmed by my dad wanting me to set him up a tank. He says “I want one of those Amano Style tanks”. Good luck…
So, as a result of doing the research FOR HIM, I’ve been collecting equipment for my own set up, along with his. I’m not interested in a “high tech nature aquarium” but have taken a real interest in Bucephalandra.
The tank will go in my work office on my second desk. I’ve been researching various ways to go about this and so far this is what I’ve got planned.
55 gallon Aqueon
Fluval 406
Cobalt 200W
Satillite PRO + (mainly for the lightening feature to entertain my coworkers)
Fluval Stratum substrate – for plant growth, surface area, shrimp if I go that route, and pH stabilization
Co2 – possibly Green Leaf Aquatics or Milwaukee – depending on money
The layout plan is to have branchy Manzanita that I can temporarily zip tie the Buces to until they attach. Some rock on the substrate for more Buces as well. In addition to the Buces I want to focus on mosses as well. The idea is to have them be the filler between Buces on the branches.
Additionally, I would like to play around with some crypts, anubias and other interesting plants in the substrate.
Depending on how this all pans out the fish would be Killies and or random nano-fish. I’m not really interested in Bio-specifics so mix and matching continents would not be a big deal, although I seem to be picking stuff from southeast Asia.
Some questions I have:
Is co2 necessary and if so, what would be a good entry level system?
Should I go with a pH meter attached to the co2 solenoid or do a timer? I’ve read about both and know I would need to regularly check the pH chemically if I don’t have a meter but with Bucephalandra would one be better than the other? I have a friend who will let me borrow his Reef Angel long term and this will apparently work for my purpose (plus other perks).
What kind of fertilizers would you recommend for this application?
Would once a week water changes of 5 gallons a week be sufficient? I ask because I know it’s not 50 percent but would have to do this in 5 gallon buckets.
Any advice is appreciated….
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Is co2 necessary and if so, what would be a good entry level system?
You can do low tech without CO2, but your plant choice would have to reflect low light. A good entry level system is really a pieced together system. An old victor regulator and minor parts is your best bang for the buck bet OR I've heard good things about CO2art.

Quote:
Should I go with a pH meter attached to the co2 solenoid or do a timer? I’ve read about both and know I would need to regularly check the pH chemically if I don’t have a meter but with Bucephalandra would one be better than the other? I have a friend who will let me borrow his Reef Angel long term and this will apparently work for my purpose (plus other perks).
I wouldn't. Keep it simple. A solenoid and a timer is sufficient. You can dial in the CO2 based on the reaction of the fish and a simple drop checker, then it is set it and forget. Well, sorta. Monitor it periodically.

Quote:
What kind of fertilizers would you recommend for this application?
Low tech? None or a modified EI dosing regiment. I'd go with EI dosing once a week instead of every day.

High tech? EI dosing and scale back until deficiencies are noticed and then bump the dosing back up to the last known 'good' dosing amount.

Quote:
Would once a week water changes of 5 gallons a week be sufficient? I ask because I know it’s not 50 percent but would have to do this in 5 gallon buckets.
Simple answer: No. 50% is essentially a must do for EI dosing and high tech. If you go low tech, a 5 gallon water change once or twice a week is plausible with lower than average stocking.

I know very little about buce species, so I am just going off of general planted tank ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
You can do low tech without CO2, but your plant choice would have to reflect low light. A good entry level system is really a pieced together system. An old victor regulator and minor parts is your best bang for the buck bet OR I've heard good things about CO2art.
Is the Satellite Pro+ considered low light for a standard 55 gallon. 20 inches tall...

Quote:
I wouldn't. Keep it simple. A solenoid and a timer is sufficient. You can dial in the CO2 based on the reaction of the fish and a simple drop checker, then it is set it and forget. Well, sorta. Monitor it periodically.
I'm not sure I would want to wait to see how the fish react to pH changes. If I have access to the Reef Angel, shouldn't I just use it? Or is there a reason I shouldn't. Asking this, I understand a planted tank forum might not be the best place to ask about Reef Angel controllers.

Quote:
Low tech? None or a modified EI dosing regiment. I'd go with EI dosing once a week instead of every day.

High tech? EI dosing and scale back until deficiencies are noticed and then bump the dosing back up to the last known 'good' dosing amount.
Is there a middle ground between high tech and low tech? Hi/Lo tech? I want to "play" with co2 so would I have deficiencies if I used mid range lighting (the Satellite in question), co2, and once a week EI dosing?

I appreciate your input.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm looking at other options for canister filters and am considering the Zoomed brand.
What's the difference between a Zoomed Turtle 75 and a Zoomed MACRO 75? Besides price?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2015, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
The sat+pro would put you into medium light I think.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode