20 Gallon Long-- First Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
20 Gallon Long-- First Planted Tank

I figured I would start a journal for my new tank. I have raised fish for a years, but never considered the planted route because I assumed it would be too difficult.

I had let the tank sit with the filter and media for a a few weeks and then added plants and rocks. Below is what the tank first looked liked when planted. I also included a picture of some of the inhabitants (taken this morning except for the Gudgeons which was taken earlier this week)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150718_192758.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	500961  

Name:	20150723_080649.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	500969  

Name:	20150728_080957.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	500977  

Name:	20150728_081013.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	500985  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The previous picture of the tank was from 7/19. This is from today, 7/28. Theres also a short clip of the tank attached.

Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150728_194152.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	501177  

Attached Files
File Type: mp4 20150728_193953.mp4 (4.64 MB, 24 views)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:17 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I like the mountain scape you did! the plants seem to be doing really well, too!
Are you wanting to carpet the hair grass? What sort of routine are you doing? What sort of suggestions are you looking for?

ps this was the first time I had heard of Gudgeons, I had been considering killifish but the Gudgeon seem like they'd be a cool fit in the tank I set up, thanks for the pictures of your inhabitants!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseprint View Post
I like the mountain scape you did! the plants seem to be doing really well, too!
Are you wanting to carpet the hair grass? What sort of routine are you doing? What sort of suggestions are you looking for?

ps this was the first time I had heard of Gudgeons, I had been considering killifish but the Gudgeon seem like they'd be a cool fit in the tank I set up, thanks for the pictures of your inhabitants!

Thank you! And yea the Peacock Gudgeons are great. They are peaceful and get along with all the other tank mates (except shrimp...they rip them apart).

I am trying to get the hair grass to carpet, but I am unsure if that will happen. I guess that is what I need suggestions/advice on.

I currently leave my lights on for 9hrs a day. I run CO2 for 9hrs (I turn it on 30 mins before the lights come on and turn it off 30mins before the lights go off).

I dose with excel and flourish as well.

My substrate is Eco-complete. Can DHG carpet under these conditions?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 12:33 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Nice looking tank.

If you mean Flourish comprehensive, you'll want to also add some macros to your fert regime. Flourish Comp only contains micros. It lists some N,P,K but the amount is negligible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Nice looking tank.

If you mean Flourish comprehensive, you'll want to also add some macros to your fert regime. Flourish Comp only contains micros. It lists some N,P,K but the amount is negligible.
Correct, im using Flourish comprehensive. Do the macros each come separately or is there a product that work well and has them all?

Also, your 75g is AMAZING!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
cool rocks

-Mikey G
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I just tested my water. the pH is 8.4 and my kh is 300ppm.

None of the fish are showing ill effects, but that seems very very high to me. Should I be concerned? What can I do to adjust it? it was perfect a week ago but I'm starting to think the rocks might be leaching into the water?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 04:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
It's definitely possible they could be affecting the water. People usually do a "test" before they put them in, put a drop of vinegar on the rocks and if it starts fizzing, it will effect the pH level. I do know that Neon Tetras really prefer soft water, and that pH level is too high for them, but I'm not an expert on changing it. You might try posting something in another post.

As far as ferts, people often say that getting dry fertilizers are much cheaper in the long run. There's plenty of places that people list on here that have it premixed for you. The grass should carpet with what you have now, for sure. If you do decide to switch out the rocks, consider getting some a little larger, it will make the DHG even more petite and really make it look like mountains. What kind of lights do you have?

Bump: *another thread, sorry
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noseprint View Post
It's definitely possible they could be affecting the water. People usually do a "test" before they put them in, put a drop of vinegar on the rocks and if it starts fizzing, it will effect the pH level. I do know that Neon Tetras really prefer soft water, and that pH level is too high for them, but I'm not an expert on changing it. You might try posting something in another post.

As far as ferts, people often say that getting dry fertilizers are much cheaper in the long run. There's plenty of places that people list on here that have it premixed for you. The grass should carpet with what you have now, for sure. If you do decide to switch out the rocks, consider getting some a little larger, it will make the DHG even more petite and really make it look like mountains. What kind of lights do you have?

Bump: *another thread, sorry
Just pulled one of the rocks out and dried it and poured vinegar on it. No fizzing.

My lights are CoralLife dual bulb t5ho 6.5k and 10k.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Is it possible that the Ph and Kh are high because of Excel and Flourish? I increased the number of times per week that I've been using them.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 08:16 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGNYC View Post
Correct, im using Flourish comprehensive. Do the macros each come separately or is there a product that work well and has them all?

Also, your 75g is AMAZING!
Thanks! Seachem's Flourish line does include macros sold separately, Flourish nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus. Good products but can get very expensive in the long run. And be advised, Seachem's recommended doses are nowhere close to enough.

Most people soon switch to dry ferts and mix their own. I use these https://greenleafaquariums.com/aquar...rtilizers.html

$15+shipping will get you a couple years worth of everything for a 20 gal. Comes with dosing instructions, or there are several threads here on how to do it as well. This is a good one - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=647697

Also user nilocg sells premixed liquids (macro/micro). Just use a squirt or two from each bottle. I never bought from him but only heard great things about his products. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=894241. If your looking for a simple solution you dont really have to think about, this is a good way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGNYC View Post
Is it possible that the Ph and Kh are high because of Excel and Flourish? I increased the number of times per week that I've been using them.
No, neither one affects Ph or hardness

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Thanks! Seachem's Flourish line does include macros sold separately, Flourish nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus. Good products but can get very expensive in the long run. And be advised, Seachem's recommended doses are nowhere close to enough.

Most people soon switch to dry ferts and mix their own. I use these https://greenleafaquariums.com/aquar...rtilizers.html

$15+shipping will get you a couple years worth of everything for a 20 gal. Comes with dosing instructions, or there are several threads here on how to do it as well. This is a good one - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=647697

Also user nilocg sells premixed liquids (macro/micro). Just use a squirt or two from each bottle. I never bought from him but only heard great things about his products. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=894241. If your looking for a simple solution you dont really have to think about, this is a good way to go.

No, neither one affects Ph or hardness
Im sort of suspecting its the rocks. Nothing else in the tank has changed besides the dosage of Excel and Flourish and the diffused CO2.

Would replacing the rocks with some sort of driftwood and a water change help with the issues?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode