29 Gallon DIY - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
29 Gallon DIY

So I'm setting up a 29 gallon dirted tank. Just got the tank at petco and got some Natures Care potting soil. Not sure if i should add anything to the dirt like clay or osmocote. Ive never done a dirted tank before so im not sure. For the lighting i was just at home depot and was looking at a dual T5 strip of some shop lamps wit CFL bulbs. After dealing wuth LED for a while i forget how to measure this cfl stuff and how much light output i get. Anyone know if watts per gallon is still a good measurement if so what wattage would be medium light? I didnt plan on doing co2 but now im thinkin of doing a DIY co2 setup. For filter i just got a old aqueon quietflow for now until i upgrade. Im gonna order some stuff from foster and smith like a heater and top. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

-DAN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 06:33 PM
Planted Member

I've set up two dirted aquariums, one (10g) was just dirt. No clay, or any other additives. The plants grew well, it was low light no co2 and I was trimming all the time.

My second one (29g) is not low light, not sure where it fits, higher light than my other tank for sure. No co2, plants are growing very well very limited algea so far (still playing with light schedule). It is dirt with a layer of laterite. I have some DIY osmocote tabs and will add them as the plants need them but have heard of others putting a thin layer under the dirt when setting up, so it's up to you.

I'm enjoying having an open tank these days as well. Haven't had any jumpers yet (hopefully it stays that way!)

Subbing for CFL lighting information, interested to know about that as well.

Good luck with your aquarium!!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Sorry for the delay I have been busy with school and such. Just got in some plants and planted them then added water. I will have some pictures soon.

-DAN

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
There is a thread in the sticky on the lighting section on CFL bulbs.
Generally speaking used horizontally they put out half as much.
10g tanks do well/w one 13W type in vertical or two of them in horizontal incandescent fixtures. I'd start/w the 19W type. 5000-6500K seem to work best.
Should you need to increase the Watts they won't go to waste. Just keep them to replace the bulbs in any closet.
Almost forgot: My brother had a 29g and had an HOB on the end so the discharge was in the middle of it and it gave the tank a clockwise current.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Last edited by Raymond S.; 09-02-2015 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Almost forgot:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode