ADA 120P "I've Lost My Mind" - The Planted Tank Forum
 60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 217 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA 120P "I've Lost My Mind"

Sooooo.....10 weeks in and on my 3rd tank....this one is officially going to be titled "Lost My Mind".

What started as a betta in a 1.5 gallon for my 4 year old, quickly turned into a 26G Bow Front....and then an ADA 45P......well.....I've learned a life lesson over the years. "do things right, the first time.....and buy the best you can afford" (otherwise you end up doing things at least twice from my experience).

This is going to be a very slow build to start, we just closed on a new house and won't move in for almost a month. But figured i'd start a journal as I start collecting everything.

I've got two toddlers at home, and a stay at home wife. I work roughly 70-80 hours a week and travel a good amount. I find whatever I can to keep my sanity....up until I got into fish 10 weeks ago the two most relaxing things for me were:

1. Washing my cars
2. Getting on an airplane with now wifi

Staring and playing with my fish tanks has quickly joined the list.

Tank:

ADA 120P
Archaea 120P Stand (Sold by Aqua Forest Aquarium)

Equipment:

48" Current USA Sat Plus Pro (check) (x2)
GLA PRO-1 CO2 Reg
Eheim 2075
Up Aqua Inline Diffuser
Hydor 300W Inline Diffuser

Scape:

4 Bags ADA Amazonia
20+ lbs Ohko Stone (3 big rocks so far, will likely add more as I can find)

Update 10.3.15:
Stocking List

Stocking update:

Here's what's in here now

15 - celestial pearl danios
7 - Cardinal tetras (tank raised)
15 - emerald dwarf rasbora
9 - Microrasbora kubotai (all they had)
10 - Chili Rasbora
7 - Otocinclus catfish
5 - Hasbrosus Cory
3 - SAE's

Shrimp
6 - amano shrimp
17 - RCS
15 - CRS
10 - Blue/Black Rili Shrimp
3 - Sunkist Orange CS

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	500633  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0587.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	500641  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by HBdirtbag; 10-04-2015 at 12:40 AM. Reason: added equipment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 217 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:07 PM
Planted Member

Congrats on your nice
new tank.
post #3 of 217 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (149/100%)
Awesome dude! Nice specs you got going already. And yeah, hobbies are always a great way to chill and unwind.. Can't wait to see updates.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank

post #4 of 217 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 04:09 AM
Algae Grower

I'm drooling thinking of what your gonna do with that sick set up man.

Welcome to the hobby and good luck with your first bout with multi-tank syndrome...when I first got into the hobby a couple years back I turned around and had 5 tanks I admire your restraint so far.

-Diagnosed Hygroholic
post #5 of 217 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 05:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBdirtbag View Post
"do things right, the first time.....and buy the best you can afford" (otherwise you end up doing things at least twice from my experience).
+1000

This is so true

Any plans for a scape???

post #6 of 217 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

ADA 120P "I've Lost My Mind"

Still debating that piece. As mentioned I've got some ohko stone. Sometime today I'll probably clean it off and do some test placements. Trying to decide if I want to add some driftwood as well. Gonna start laying things out in my head. Will most likely be a mosh posh of styles but with a good flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #7 of 217 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 01:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
AFA crushed me last night by calling to inform me that they didn't have the 90P that I just placed an order for in stock & wouldn't be getting any for 2-3 months. They DID inform me that they had 120P's in stock... I'm starting to think my kitchen will either lose counter space or my leatherworking table will. I need to just sign my VA Disability check over to AFA. That's where it all goes now anyway!
post #8 of 217 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ya, I called a few Saturday's to see if I could pick up my 120 and they only had them in the warehouse. I got impulsive and luckily the 90's were out of stock!

Here are the 3 ohko stones I have so far. Smallest is around 10 lbs biggest is 18 if I remember right.

Probably going to cut the flat long one in half. Trying to determine how that's going to go down

These things are caked in mud. Gonna soak for a bit and give them a decent scrub while being careful.

post #9 of 217 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just playing around a bit. Some of the rocks need some shaping chiseled into them to get them to stand the way I want.

Cornelar and Cornelar like this.

post #10 of 217 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Originally thought I wanted to add a fairly large piece of driftwood. Not sure I can now. The temptation to unbag the dirt is strong

post #11 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 12:47 AM
Planted Member

Your tank is gorgeous and the planned setup looks really promising. Are you going to have to tear everything down in a month when you move into your new house?

Couldn't agree with you more about doing things right the first time even if it costs you. I tried to set up a cheap lighting system for a riparium using bulbs bought from China. To make a long story short, too many problems with the bulbs and Chinese sellers led to me just spending about $600 on a new LED system (with just 3 LEDs) using the best parts I could find.
post #12 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ultimately I'm gonna refrain from the temptation to set it up until we move.

post #13 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Filter arrived

post #14 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 10:16 PM
Algae Grower

Lol...thats so funny, seems like youve got bitten by the "plantedtank" bug. Nice setup man.

55 Gallon Journal Thread :

3 Gallon Nano Thread:

post #15 of 217 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 12:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (111/100%)
I vote no wood. Stones all the way. Have you considered how you want to scape this tank? Like full on iwagumi or more nature style?

I've always had a hard time pulling off the wood/stone combo. I do like the way it looks when both are used to make it look like you've got a sand foreground with rocks used to create a boarder between the wood and plants area. You really don't seem to be going in that direction though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode