Beginning of a 29g Planted Tank! :) Any fish recommendations? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Becca410
Smile Beginning of a 29g Planted Tank! :) Any fish recommendations?

Hi everyone!

I set up my 29 gallon tank a few weeks ago and finally received my live plant order. I have not had a chance to really think about aesthetics (addition of rocks/driftwood and or different plant placement), but I thought I would post an initial picture so you and I both can watch the plant growth/progession in the coming weeks.

Filtration:
Eheim 2217

Lighting:
Current USA Nova Extreme T5 2X24

Substrate:
Eco-Complete on bottom, black gravel on top

I currently only have one fish (a pleco) who has not been too destructive in the tank yet, but I will keep an eye out.

I am looking to add more fish, but don't want to overstock so I am trying to choose carefully. Any opinions on neon tetra? I know you have to purchase several of them since they are a schooling species. Any other recommendations for fish in a 29 gallon?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Planted Member

if you are good with not overstocking then you really should get a nice pair or trio of dwarf cichlid, i would get one of the following (in order of my preference):

(1) pair of pelvicachromis taeniatus
or
(2) trio of apistos (many variety to choose from)
or
(3) pair of rams (bolivian or german)

in addition i would get either 3 or 4 barbs (you can choose from odessa barb, checkered barb, tiger barb, gold barb, etc.) or you can get about 6 of any of the schooling tetras that are 2" or less as adults that you think looks good - neon or cardinal tetras would be perfect, personally i like cardinal tetras better

Aqueon 120 gallon community (planted)
ADA 120p - 65 gallon community (planted)
Eclipse system II tall - 30 gallon - mixed community (non planted)
AGA 20 gallon - lake Tanganyika shell dwellers (semi planted)
6.6 gallon nano planted red cherry shrimp (planted)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
id say go with some manzanita wood.
as for fish,id reccomend u get some Ottos, maybe a SAE later
the other fish are totally up to u, i actually had a 29g tank before and i used a school of green neons (like 15-20) and they looked great.
i would also paint the back of the tank, maybe slope the substrate a little?
oh u could also use raboras as your fishes as well (Espei, harlequin)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Hawaii Ftw~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 12:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I agree with the Apistogramma recommendation. Many, many beautiful fish there. Another favorite is the Bolivian ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosa). Easy to keep, docile and attractive. I've also recently grown an appreciation for the African Butterfly Cichlid (Anamolochromis thomasi sp. Guinea).

http://www.african-cichlid.com/Thomasi.htm

I would post the pics, but they're pretty big.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What would I use to paint the back of my aquarium?

I would also like to locate some large, smooth black stones that match my substrate to put in there. I really like how the green plants contrast to the substrate.

I picked up 6 cardinal tetra last night and their colors are also striking compared to the plants and substrate.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 07:23 PM

Use glass paint from a craft shop. Tank looks like it has potential with some stones or wood.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Becca use Krylon spraypaint, it will adhere to glass.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
my father used the paint from home depot, and he rolled it on with 2 coats, looks really nice

~Hawaii Ftw~

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Obsidian stone?

Does anyone know where I can find or purchase obsidian stone? I figure this stone shouldn't disrupt my water parameters too much and I am trying to find a black stone that would match my substrate. Any input or other stone recommendations would be appreciated.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode