*My First Aquarium* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
*My First Aquarium*

DAY 1

Hello Planted Tankers!

This is my little blog for my first aquarium. Whilst living in Hong Kong as a 5 year old (My dad was serving in the British Army) he had a hexagon tank and stand custom made for him over there.

I have always wanted a tropical tank after them childhood memories!

Fast forward 25 years later, with a son of my own, its time I enjoyed and maintained one myself in the hopes my son will have similar memories as I!

The Tank:

I decided for now, I just wanted just a small tank, so I brought a Aqua Nano 22. Being only 22l its nice and manageable. It come with LED lighting, filter pump and heater so perfect for someone like me!

This is where all the questions are going to start!

I set up my tank as per instructions, making sure the pump and filters were working correctly and set the heater up! I brought an external thermometer to keep and eye on the temperature too.

I have not brought any fish yet as I know I'm not ready!

I brought the tank from a chain store, with some black gravel and a ornament and was given some basic information. I was told to buy this liquid to take the nasties out of the tap water and then I could just add fish (luckily I never brought any fish at this time) as i now know my water is not ready to harbour life!

After throwing gravel in the bottom and putting in a ornament, it looked really bare. I remembered that i have a local aquatic centre that i could get some fake plants from so i headed over!

After a great chat, i was told that a live planed tank was so much better and i was advised to purchase some basic plants so i come home with these.

I was also told to put some kind of medium under the soil for them to flourish so i picked up some of this too.

Day one done...Still no fish

Bump: DAY 7

I headed back to the awesome aquatic centre with a water sample to see if after a week, my water was ready for me to put some fish in...

It was not...

I was given advice on how to 'Cycle' my tank to get the good bacteria in my filter and brought some of this to help it along!

I also at the same time brought my own testing kit as they said it work out much better and i can test when ever i needed in the future!

So far my little tank looks like this.

A little bare, still no fish...but having fun all the same!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 05:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (149/100%)
Welcome to TPT!

Nice pics, great job with the new tank so far.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

DAY 9

I decided to test my own water with my new kit after treating the water

Still not quite ready! I was given some great advice...

'With aquariums, the pet is actually the water...this fish will do what fish do, but looking after the water is the hobby, the fish are just indications on how well your hobby is going'

Sound advice if you ask me!

Bump: DAY 10

Here come the mistakes

Stupidly, i forget everything i learnt from school at times!

My pump has an option to use a 'Venturi' connection...having no idea what it was for i fitted it anyway, and enjoyed watching the oxygen getting dissolved into the tank

'Fish love oxygen' i though, as fell asleep in the knowledge my fish when i get them will be loving the oxygen enriched water!

I woke up this morning, thinking about plant life...

Tree's and plants eat C02 in the day time, release oxygen at night!

So basically, iv been starving my plants as iv had my pump putting loads of oxygen in the water for over a week!

Now my plants don't look that good as i have been starving them! poop! no bubbles now!

...As i wont be able to get to the local aquatic centre for over a week, how long will this cycle take and when should i do a water change?

Enjoying this so far!

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonFlux View Post
Welcome to TPT!

Nice pics, great job with the new tank so far.
Thanks very much...nice to be here!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think your off to a great start but you need to take some time and read all about the nitrogen cycle. In general its likely to be a month or so before the cycle is done. A lot of variables can effect how long it takes. There is tones of info here of tpt so have fun reading.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Forgot to mention some key stuff.

Plants that you are buying from the store are grown out of water, this means that they are used to very high levels of co2. When you plant them in your tank they are drowning. They need time to adjust and start growing in their true submerged form. This can tank a few weeks sometimes less in ideal situations. With that said, you can expect most plants to melt back aka die back before they come back.

Also, a 5 gallon (20l) is not suitable for fish in my opinion. Even if you get a nano type of fish you can imagine the limited swimming space. Alof of fish are active and just because they are small doesn't mean they don't require room to swim.

Keep in mind a betta would probably do okay or small shrimp. But not both.

Also, many new to the hobby think that small aquariums are good to start with but its actually easier to maintain stable water conditions with bigger bodies of water.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome thanks for the advice! I have read there is a general 'rule' to stocking fish! I was just going with a single Betta for now!

I'm moving home next year, so the plan is to have this tank and then get a much larger one when i move. I will keep this nano tank basic for now and not get too tank happy :-)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 11:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
A single beta is a great start. I would say a single dwarf puffer fish is also a good fish to keep alone. Definitely read up on the fishless cycle and what not. The tank looks neat, I actually like the little hut haha.

Phili nailed it, small tanks are more susceptible to parameter changes because there is less water to act as a 'buffer'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Day 11

Just made a quick DIY Co2 System, plants are not doing so well!

I have a Aqua One LED 7.2watt lamp, but cant find out diode or lumen information!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is a quick Gif....

Has been running for only a few hours...

This is so much fun!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode