It's been a while...Updated 3-15-10 on page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
It's been a while...Updated 3-15-10 on page 2

It's been a while since I've posted a pic of my 75. It hasn't changed a lot since my last posting. I did add some HC a couple of weeks ago and it's starting to fill in nicely and I just did a major hack of the rotala yesterday so it's not looking it's best but I had the camera out so I thought what the heck. My photography skills aren't the best so it actually does look better in person.

Last edited by Jeff5614; 03-15-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
Wow! That is B-E-A-utiful! I love the colors and your plants look amazingly healthy. Can you list what plants you have? Also, what type of substrate, lights, ferts etc. you have and are using.

Great looking tank!

Current Tank Journals:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Wow! That is B-E-A-utiful! I love the colors and your plants look amazingly healthy. Can you list what plants you have? Also, what type of substrate, lights, ferts etc. you have and are using.

Great looking tank!
Thanks and let me first say that's quite a nice tank you have. It seems like it would be hard scaping a bow front corner tank but you've pulled it off really well.

Plants left to right along the back are P. stellatus, L. cuba, P. erectum and more P. stellatus. Kind of in the midground are a java fern starting to grow from the driftwood, sunset hygro, a needle leaf java fern and the aforementioned and just hacked rotala green. Of course you can see there's quite a bit of blyxa and an anubias peaking over the blyxa on the right. In the middle is the recently planted HC. The plan is to move the blyxa away from the front as the HC fills in.

Filtration: Fluval 404 and 304

Substrate: regular old aquarium gravel

Lights: 2x54 T5HO ( one Midday and one Aquaflora bulb ) in a HagenGlo fixture. Yeah I know single reflector, yada, yada, yada but how much light do we need? I get pearling 2 hours after lights on and it continues to build as the days goes on.

Ferts: Standard EI using dry for macros and Flourish for micros with the addition of 5ml Flourish Iron 3x/week. When I first got the stellatus I remembered some saying extra iron helps with reds. I don't know if it's true since I haven't tried it without.

CO2: Pressurized with a DIY reactor. I've tried a pollen glass and needlewheel pump. They're all good methods but I don't care for the fog in the tank. I found myself looking forward to the last half hour of the photoperiod when the CO2 shut off. Let me just say that Tom Barr is right, at least in my situation. Unlimited nutrients with good CO2 works and you don't need a small nuclear reactor over the tank to provide light. I've had algae issues in the past and it's always too much light and/or not enough CO2. If you have enough CO2 to keep the plants healthy and thriving algae fades away.

While I'm sorta on my soap box let me toss in a plug for the Swap 'n Shop section of TPT. Except for the HC, anubias and one of the java ferns which came from my lfs, my plants came from other members here. S'nS is a good place to get good healthy plants at a fair price.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Holy Crap!! Running 1.4 watts/gal with plain aquarium gravel and you get P. stellatus, L. cuba, P. erectum to grow like that. I am going home and throwing in the towel. You are now my hero! I just got some L. Cuba in today and if I can get it to grow half as well as yours I will be happy.

Also, keep me in mind when you go to trim your P. stellatus, I would like some.

Also, thx for the comment on my tank but does not compare to the beauty and color of yours.

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hero, huh? The only other person to tell me that was my wife when I tossed a blacksnake out of our yard and across the fence into the neighbor's yard, lol.

1.4 w/gal isn't the same 1.4 w/gal when that guideline was developed. T5HO's put out a quite a bit of light compared to the same wattage of T8's or PC's.

L cuba can be a weed once you get it going. You'll be trimming 4 or 5 inches off a week and have so many shoots you'll wonder if really should have planted it.

If I ever become confident enough with the quality of the plants to sell some I'll let you know.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 03:08 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
I feel so envious.........

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 03:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
wow, that tank looks amazing!!! i love the field of l.cuba

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 03:26 AM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
If I ever become confident enough with the quality of the plants to sell some I'll let you know.
I think you can be quite confident...Amazing aquarium!

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 03:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I second that last comment! It looks great! Another testimont to the T5 lighting at lower levels. You still get the great reds.

80 gal planted thread:

filstar pimp #146 Dual-ing XP3's
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Well that's it... I'm raising my light. I have the same fixture over a 55ga... no wonder I'm growing algae left and right...
I want a beautiful tank like yours! Good job, well done. You should really sell on the S&S. Just post the picture of your tank and your clippings are sold before you finished typing the post

Eheim Pimp #363 - 2213, 2217

Tank journals:

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Hero, huh? The only other person to tell me that was my wife when I tossed a blacksnake out of our yard and across the fence into the neighbor's yard, lol.
Ok....maybe a bit much but it is amazing the quality of your plants with plain old aquarium gravel. Do you use any root tabs?

Quote:
1.4 w/gal isn't the same 1.4 w/gal when that guideline was developed. T5HO's put out a quite a bit of light compared to the same wattage of T8's or PC's.
You are right. I use all CF but would like to one day try a tank with T5's

Quote:
L cuba can be a weed once you get it going. You'll be trimming 4 or 5 inches off a week and have so many shoots you'll wonder if really should have planted it.
I will let you know if I ever have this problem....I hope I do.

Quote:
Are you kidding me! Like Regloh said...You post the pic you have above and say for sale and they would be gone in under 5 mins after posting. Do you have self esteem issues?

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
I love the blyxa and the tank overall is stunningly vibrant. Your fish must be real happy.

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (81/100%)
That is A W E S O M E! 1.4 w/gal

BO - EHEIM PIMP # 378
-

Aim High
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
... Do you use any root tabs?
Nope, no root tabs. Just water column ferts.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I thought I'd post a couple more pics. Not a lot has changed, just a bit more filled in than the previous photos. One is with the flash and the other is without. I'm not a photographer. Pay no attention to the lack of fish, they weren't awake yet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode