Daisy's Mini-M - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post Daisy's Mini-M

So, I got the MTS bug. Hence the mini-M which I am hoping to journal as it progresses. However, I already missed a few steps oh well. Here it is planted:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	499145
Substrate- ADA Amazonia and Caribsea Kon Tiki (love this gravel, both colour and grain size)
Wood- Malaysian (saw it in the store and didn't want to put it down)
Lights- currently 2x aqualighter picos, will be replaced by Azoo Flexi-mini once I put in the order
Filter- Tom Mini internal filter (HOB or canister no-no in my bedroom)
Plants-
Echinodorus 'Reni' - may end up being too big for this tank but I really wanted to try it, it's beautiful!
Hydrocotyle 'Japan' - hoping for a somewhat carpeted effect front right (ha ha, just looked at the preview, I meant my other right )
Anubias nana and Christmas moss on the wood - on and off gluing for two days, before I was happy with the effect
Empty space on the gravel may end up with some (maybe a third or less of current gravelled area) Christmas moss on small rocks
River stones x2 just to help hold plants down, but who knows, they may stay

Future home of Neocaridinas - what do you guys think of the Snowballs vs Blues (diamond or velvet)? Opinions requested as to how well either of these would show up agains my current colour scheme
plantetra and plantetra like this.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
MTS? malasian trumpet snails?
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The other MTS

Multiple tank syndrome. Lol I got confused the first time I saw the acronym too. I thought snails, then I saw a thread asking people to reveal how many tanks they have. I thought a half dozen is plenty, but some people have more than thirty. Oy, vey! That's a full time job.

Daisy Mae V

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Update, not picture worthy yet.

Moved the echinodorus closer to front and centre by two inches each way to give it more room.
Hated the messiness of the long hydrocotyle stems so I cut it up into 1-2 node pieces and replanted (should have done this in the first place but I received a lot of this plant from my order and didn't want to "waste" it). Gave away the extras.
Added a piece of cholla to the sand bed, letting it grow biofilm for the shrimp to enjoy later.
Put the filter behind driftwood.
Ammonia tested at 0.6 ppm today. First test done since I planted a week ago.

Leaning towards Snowball neos as I think they would look sharp in this color scheme.

Daisy Mae V
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Small changes

Views:	175
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	503537

Finally received the new light, I got the silver Flexi-mini this time. It lights up this tank beautifully. The filter is now at the back, and I added some stones with Christmas moss glued on. The water is a bit tannin stained but I like it.

The echinodorus has three new leaves, and two of those are visible as the lowest brownish centre leaves. The anubias opened its bract, showing those corn-like flowers (I received the plant with a tight bud).

Daisy Mae V
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Some stems behind the dw might go well.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you for suggestion

Thank you, Dantrasy, for the constructive comment. You have beautiful tanks.

I considered putting some pants behind the DW, but I didn't want to squeeze too much in that space, as it now has the filter. There is some moss below the filter and right behind the DW, and a couple of hydrocotyle tripartita stems which I expect will eventually peek out.

I love the look of other people's tanks which are lushly planted, but for some reason, I can't stand it in my own aquariums. I think it has to do with ease of maintenance when I don't have to push away plants in order to get to the glass, etc.

On another note, I'm finally starting to see nitrite increases, so the cycle is well under way. I'm keeping this tank cool-ish at house temp which is 21 C, which of course slows everything down slightly. However, I would prefer not to plug another appliance in (heater), and the temp will be fine for future shrimp inhabitants. No hurry, letting plants establish still.

Daisy Mae V
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 06:51 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Looks pretty cool! I like the way the wood divides the tank in half
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you, holoublahee.

Daisy Mae V
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Tank is cycled!

Tested yesterday and the tank is cycled. Now feeding ammonia drops to keep bacteria happy while waiting for shrimp. I ordered a dozen snowball shrimp from Shrimp Fever, expect them next week, yeah!!!

There has also been very good growth from the Echinodorous, good colour on the new leaves and they are staying short for now. Could be the light intensity.

Views:	105
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	511010
-Five new leaves shown

Daisy Mae V
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Minnow feast

Well, the nematodes are having a bit of a party. 3 days ago or so, there were a handful. Today there was lots more.

Although they're not harmful, I'm not keen on lots of them swimming around. Since I'm planning on shrimp later, I know their numbers will not go down from simple predation. So, enter the White Cloud Mountain minnow.

I have two in another tank with similar parameters, just a little warmer mainly. They have been borrowed temporarily, in order to at least drop down the nematode numbers a bit.

Maybe within two minutes of getting in this tank they started going after the little worms. Fat bellies for the next couple of days I expect. They will go back to their tank in 3 days when the shrimp get here.

Good work, minnows, good work!

Daisy Mae V
post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 08:29 AM
Planted Member

I love the simple and elegant look of this tank.

When I first saw "MTS" I thought "Mineralized Topsoil" which is another term frequently used by people on this forum, but quickly realized that you were talking about the dreaded multiple tank syndrome. I caught that a long time ago, much to my wife's chagrin, and have gone through 10 tanks in the past 3 years alone. I even started setting up tanks for friends and relatives to feed the addiction when I ran out of space in my own house. I partly solved that problem by building multiple level tank stands

the scary thing is, there are people out there who make my 10 tanks in 3 years look like peanuts.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoram View Post
I love the simple and elegant look of this tank.

When I first saw "MTS" I thought "Mineralized Topsoil" which is another term frequently used by people on this forum, but quickly realized that you were talking about the dreaded multiple tank syndrome. I caught that a long time ago, much to my wife's chagrin, and have gone through 10 tanks in the past 3 years alone. I even started setting up tanks for friends and relatives to feed the addiction when I ran out of space in my own house. I partly solved that problem by building multiple level tank stands

the scary thing is, there are people out there who make my 10 tanks in 3 years look like peanuts.
Thank you very much, Skoram.

MTS is also used for Malaysian Trumpet Snails to make matters more confusing.

Like you, I have recruited family into my ventures, but so far it's just my kids. They each have one nano in their respective rooms. Although I only have 4 purpose-manufactured aquariums, I have a variety of vases being used as plant or snail "tanks". Those are easier to place around the house and occasionally, I can even use a small light for the tank. Yup, it's an addicting hobby.

Daisy Mae V
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
Very nice tank daisy. I really like the reni and the driftwood. Good job on the changes you made. Moving the driftwood made the filter alot less noticable. I too would recommend stems behind the driftwood but that's just me. I like heavily planted where you can't see most of the back glass.
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnad View Post
Very nice tank daisy. I really like the reni and the driftwood. Good job on the changes you made. Moving the driftwood made the filter alot less noticable. I too would recommend stems behind the driftwood but that's just me. I like heavily planted where you can't see most of the back glass.
Thanks Goatnad! That Reni is easily one of my favorites.

I do have a couple of candidates for stem plants if I change my mind. Will need to wait until it's trim time, though. Worst case, if I don't like it, I can cut it down to the substrate, right?

Daisy Mae V

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode