PTrader: (11/100%)
Agrippa's 55g Aquarium Journal

Specifications:

Tank: 48"x12"x 20" AGA 55g aquarium

Lighting: Nova Extreme 2x55w 10k t5HO

Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia

Filtration: Eheim 2215, Rena xp1

CO2: 10lb Pressurized with Milwaukee Regulator

I actually just planted this yesterday, but am waiting for the water to clear up and for the plants to settle in before I attempt to take any pictures. Sadly, due to the high heat around here, a number of my plants arrived in rather poor condition, which proved problematic to the aquascape.

My intended inhabitants would be a group of 5 German Blue Rams, a large school of Cardinal Tetras, and of course the miscellaneous cleanup crew. Not exactly groundbreaking, I know, but I hope it will make for a good display.

Let me know what you think on the hardscape. I hope to have updated post-planting shots within the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Something about the rocks feels off.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
i agree. if i were you, i would move the center grouping of rocks more to the left, move the left group more to the right (so like, condense the left and center groupings into one larger one).

Wilson
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 05:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool, someone in southern Colorado!
btw hardscape looks nice!
MD
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
the rocks look good to me. placement is about right. i think i see where you are going with it...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 08:35 PM

The rocks look good,but would be better if their was one main rock or make a larger grouping like demosthenes suggested.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
I would add more manzanita wood.
And what plants did you put in the tank?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks everyone for the comments and complements. I'll try to weigh them all in consideration of the current layout (though I must admit I'm rather unfairly attached to the tank as it is.) Perhaps it's a bad sign when a person develops connections to a pile of sticks and rocks...

Off the top of my head, my current plant list is:

Ammania gracilis
Blyxa japonica
Eusteralis stellata
(utterly cooked, sadly)
Glossostigma elatinoides
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Ludwigia arcuata
Ludwigia brevipes
Micranthemum umbrosum
Rotala indica
Rotala macranda
Rotala wallichii

I'm afraid that some of the plants listed did not arrive in good health (blasted Colorado weather- 90+ in the day, 50 and below at night,) so the list may soon change. With luck, though, everything will settle in, and I'll have an update soon.

The water is slowly clearing of tannins and day by day looks more like a suitable home for fish and less like the aftermath of the Boston Tea Party. Though that might explain the fellow running about in chaps and a headdress. Hmm.

On a related note, (which, consequently, has nothing to do with war paint) I'm particularly fond of my investment in a Python water changer, as lugging 25 or so 2-Gallon buckets back and forth between the bathroom was not especially time-efficient. I just hook it up, turn on the water, and it does the work by itself. So now, while I would instead be hauling buckets back and forth for this aquarium, I can move on to other, more pressing tasks... like hauling buckets back and forth between my other aquariums... I may want to rethink this...

Anyway, thanks for the interest. Hopefully, I'll soon have a photo update to submit.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Algae Grower

White kind of rocks are those? They look like limestone I used to have in my tank when I was a kid. If you don't know what they are, I would suggest doing an acid test, or check your hardness values before you introduce SA species.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Those look like lava rocks to me.

You'll be waiting about 2-3 weeks for that water to clear up .............
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
I think its 'lace' rock.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

A Belated Update

My apologies for the lack of updates; but to be honest, there wasn't much to see up until this point.

Well, the tank has been mowed once now, and I'm currently working on timing the growth of the stems. Hopefully, I'll get better with future experience, but for now, I fear I had the artistic bluntness of a drunken Viking in their sculpting. I've been told that these newfangled "scissors" work rather better for the job than my handy-dandy short-sword, but that has yet to be seen...

As you can see, in the week-and-a-half or so since my last plant-butchery (which some may kindly lable a "trimming,") the Rotala wallichii has surprised me by growing quite rapidly and outpacing the R. indica, which is growing slightly faster near the middle of the tank than at the back; at the same time, the Ammania gracilis is painfully slow, while the Micranthemum umbrosum is growing in spurts. On top of that, the glosso has already overgrown itself, and is begging to be cut. In brief: it seems trimming (and the subsequent growing) is more complicated than I first feebly imagined.

Oh well, at least the plants are pretty healthy. I just need to thicken some up here while battling back others there.

As for occupants (that is- occupants other than the myriad snails Colonists) I've recently added 5 otocinclus and 20 juvenile cherry shrimp. It's not much of a cleanup crew for such a comparatively large tank, but there's not much in the line of algae at the moment, and I plan to slowly add more Janitors as time progresses. My next intended tennants are 25 or so Cardinal Tetras and perhaps a dwarf puffer or two (to add a bit more interest and control my randy snails.) Over time, I plan to increase the tetra school to about 45 or 50, and after they're stable, I'll add 3-5 German Blue Rams. As I've mentioned above, this tank is quite over-filtered, so I think that everyone should be happy, but if my learned readers have other opinions, please feel free to let me know.

As for now, I'm still playing with the positions of the plants and am considering the most artful way to groom them. But I can say that I'm pretty pleased with the health of the tank and the lack of pretty much any troublesome algae. With luck, I'll have more posts soon.

Thanks for looking!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode