New Tiger tank for the wife (lots of pics) - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
New Tiger tank for the wife (lots of pics)

So, I decided to start a build thread for the wifes new tank. She currently has a 20 gallon tall tank, but unfortunately it is overstocked with various tiger barbs, garras, corys, and a couple baby L144 plecos. My other problem is I only have about 24" of horizontal space to put the new tank in.

Guess that leave only 1 real option - build a custom tank
New tank will be 24.5" wide, 18" deep, and 21" tall. Now onto the initial build pics...

Guess I will have to wait 24 hours before I can post my next round of pics, LOL
chayos00, lisals, brankor and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 12:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Tiger tank for the wife (lots of pics)

Jack
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ohhhhh I like this wifey tank idea! "Honey can I set you up with a 75 gallon gold fish tank??! (and wait for you to turn it over to me after a few months!!)" eheheh

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Captain

LOL, funny you mention the 75 gallon tank...

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 03:05 AM
Algae Grower

Cool. A homemade tank. As custom as custom gets. What kind of glass?

What's in the smallest tank?

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Tempered glass on the bottom and annealed glass on the sides - all 1/4".
The little tank on the right is the fiddler crab tank.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Pulling the tape off was not a big deal. Cleaning all the silicone smudges was a PITA. Still have more cleaning to do but decided enough for tonite, lol.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Under pressure now :-)
chayos00 likes this.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Good job on the tank construction. I plan on making my own tank soon, but it will be a little bit different haha.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Freemananana, look forward to your creation.
FWIW, the one piece of advice or insite I would offer is regarding my first pic in this post. Having the tape layed out was nice, but I did end up pinching some of 2 pieces of tape between the 2 pieces of glass being mated. This of course left a 1/8"x2" section where the silicone did not fully adhere. Not a huge issue, I just worked some fresh silicone into the 2 crack the next day. Again, just something to be aware of.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Threads like this are always full of insight! I don't think that will be an issue for me, the 'different' part will most likely prevent that.

Anyway. Tiger barbs are some of my favorite fish, they just happen to be more aggressive than I would like. I should have gone for a species only tank with like 50 of them! Would have been cool.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Planted Member

That looks amazing so far! Def going to subscribe to this good luck!

Never back down from a challenge, because a challenge never backs down from you.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Captain

Now that the tank has passed pressure testing, it is time to get this new project set up and running. After a bunch of typical internet research I settled on an AquaTop CF400 filter. There were several things I liked about the filter, but also several things I thought could be improved upon. The one item(s) I felt need the most improvement was the included spraybar and the inlet tubing. I nearly broke the inlet tubing where the hose connected because the plastic was so thin. The tubing diameter on the various parts of the spray bar dropped down to 3/8" diameter. Considering the included tubing is 5/8" I thought this was pretty bad.

So, DIY to the rescue.

And here is what things look like at the moment. Water is still a little cloudy but is improving quickly (only been about 12 hours since substraight was added and tank filled).

So, since we are planning on having a few L144 plecos the wife decided on getting some nice drift wood for them to chew on... Well, I think we might have to look into a slightly LARGER piece, LOL.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 04:19 PM
Algae Grower

I will be following this for sure. Great detail in the pics and good job on the tank build. Tank turned out very nice!
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-28-2015, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Captain

Well, the wife and I did a little shopping yesterday for a little more hardscape for the new tank. She also wanted to add a little color to the eventual finish product. Will probably wait a little longer before I start moving plants and remaining hardscape from the old tank to the new tank (she does not want me to take all the fishes hiding places away from them until it's time).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode