I'm Back in the Game!! 20 Gallon Long - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Deja_Vu
Cool I'm Back in the Game!! 20 Gallon Long

Hello Everyone!

It's been about 2 years since I have had the pleasure of maintaining a tank of my own. First, a little bit about myself.

I am 19 years old, and have been addicted to the hobby since I was about 8 years old when I got my first 5 gallon tank! Ever since, I have come a long way, tried just about everything : Classic "Shipwrecked" tank, Tropicals, Cichlids, and of course planted tanks.

I really didn't get too far into my planted tanks, only had them up for about a year before I had to take everything down for college. Well, due to the cost of state school, I am back home at my apartment and going to community college. So of course, I figured, why not?!

I have been polishing up my knowledge over the past week and a half or so, and think I am ready to jump right back into the game! I have decided to bring back to life my 20 Gallon Long. This will be entirely from scratch because all I have left is the actual tank, I got rid of everything else.

I cleaned the tank up a bit, it was covered with mineral deposits and hardened scum. I took some freshly squeezed lime juice and white vinegar to it and it came right off!

I also made a few purchases to get the ball rolling:

- 30" Glass Versa Top
- 30" Twin-Tube Black Strip Light (comes with a couple cheap bulbs)
- 1x Coralife Colormax Freshwater Bulb 24" 20W T-8
- 1x Life-Glo 2 6700K 24" 20 W T-8
- Quiet One water pump Model 1200 (296 GPH)
- 5' Vinyl Tubing 1/2" ID

I feel that was some money well spent. The pump and tubing I plan to use on my DIY Canister filter I plan on building. I built one for my 55 Gallon African Cichlid tank a few years back, worked extremely well. This should be easier, as it won't be quite as big.

I still need
-Substrate (More than likely Eco-Complete. I was thinking 2-3 20lb
bags should be enough, no?)
-Heater (No biggie)
-Filter Media (Coarse Pads, Bios, Polishing Pad)
-Couple DIY C02 Bottles (inline reacted through canister filter)
-Small HOB Filter w/ more bios, no Carbon (surface tension)
-Dry Ferts
-Water Testing Equipment (any reccomendations?)
-Plants
-Aquascaping rocks/wood/ect.
-Fish
-Misc Equip

Just thought I'd stop in and say hi to everyone. I am still waiting for the o.k. to move into my appartment. As soon as that happens I'll get stuff set up, and post some pics!

Until then, feel free to discuss/elaborate on my ideas/purchases =p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hello!

LOL - It's funny you mention setting up a 20gL as I'm setting one up soon too! It'll be for Nano-Fish though as my mom is really wanting some and was willing to sacrafice guppies and bettas for them.

Good luck with your tank!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
how will you have inline CO2 if you are buying a HOB? will you have a canister and a HOB?
also, if you are going canister, get an inline heater. i have one on my 20L and it works great.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks demon, I appreciated it! Good luck with yours as well. As soon as I move in I will be starting a journal of mine, so feel free to follow it. If you need any help or anything feel free to contact me since we will basicaly be running the same type of system!

Marko,

The HOB is just going to be for surface tension, so the top level surface of water does not get stagnate and develop oily substance. It's only going to contain bio media, and the HOB itself is going to be extremely small.

I planned on doing the inline heater as well. Those seem to work best on smaller tanks IMO, I used to have an actual heater in the tank, but the temps usually were a bit too high, and uneven. The only problem/concern I have will be the wattage on the heater. The smallest wattage inline heater I can find is 200W (from drsfostersmith). It may be a bit overkill, but it also might be fine on a lower setting.

As far as the co2 inlined into the canister filter:

I will be putting my inflow on the bottom of the canister and my outflow at the top. I plan to have approximately 3-4 levels in the filter.

From bottom to top:
1. Coarse pad
2. Polishing pad
3-4. Both Bio media

I will have another insertion right next to the inflow on the bottom of the canister (not the actual bottom, but on the side, lower), which I will put the outflow of my DIY co2 bottle(s). Of course I will be using a check valve.

The principal in this is that if the co2 is with/near the inflow of the filter, and assuming simple physics that the co2 will be lighter than the water, the co2 will be with the flow of the water. The plan is that the co2 bubbles will "hit" the media throughout the filter, hopefully maximizing diffusion.

I did this type of setup on another DIY canister filter that I made out of a butter container (very cheap and simple), and there were not any adverse effects from it, so at the least I don't see it hurting anything.

The canister filter I am about to make will be more complex and of a higher building integrity.

Like I said, there should be no adverse effects at the least, and if it isn't diffusing as much as I hope it to be, then I will just settle for a standard bell diffuser in the tank, or something alike.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
is it the hydor one?
they are very good quality and extremely acurate. i put the 200w one on a 6 gallon, and saw no flux or overheating.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/StoreCat...its=12&offset=

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes it was that hydor one.

Well, I guess if it was no harm on a 6, there is now way in he** that it will cause harm on a 20.

Looks like ima give it a try.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode