My first tank - 80 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
My first tank - 80 gallon

This started back in March when my dad bought a used 80 gallon tank with some gold fishes and koi fishes. I've always had fishes before, but was never able to keep them alive long enough due to my inexperience and knowledge deficinecy.

Anyhow, we had a 60 gallon set up with some koi fishes already, but my little brother wanted to raise discus. This peak my interest a bit so i decided to help him transfer the koi and set up the 80 gallon to raise discus. We did a complete make over by sanding and repainting the stand and canopy. After that, we bought some plantsx and driftwood from Petco(big mistake) and a couple discus from serveal different lfs(another mistake).

Sadly, our first batch of discus all died except for 1. Thats when we started looking for info on how to care for them and found the simplydiscus forum. With some careful research, we were able to get a 2nd batch from a lfs with success!!! Here's the result..bare with me...I'm really bad with taking pictures.

From there, I saw pictures of other member's planted discus tank. I was pretty shocked at how nice they looked. I've never even heard or seen a planted tank before that. After some exploring, I found this forum and that's when my obession began!! In the middle of April, I thought I'd start small and do a 10 gallon.

By the start of May, I had my 10 gallon up and running on DIY CO2 with a nano glass diffuser(started with the fizz factory from petco at first), ecocomplete, and pretty crummy stock light fixure and an expensive bulb. I kept the tank up for awhile and all was good until algae started covering the tank by the end of May. I'm pretty sure it was due to the CO2 not being consistent and not dosing any ferts. I was pretty discouraged after that, but I kept the tank running and tried to get rid of the algae as much as possible(now torn down due to the new setup). Here was the attempt.

Soon after my little brother bought a 100 gallon off craiglist which had ecocomplete(mixed with rocks though, arrggg). We decided to convert the 80 gallon into a planted tank and place the discus in the bare bottom 100 gallon for the mean time.

I decided I need to do a lot of research and get the right equipment if i was going to do this right. From the end of May towards mid June I continued with research and stocking equipment. By the end of June, i had everything i needed and felt pretty confident.

So towards the end of June, I went and started doing the setup. I got a lot of plants thanks to fellow members!! At first we placed the discus back in, but decided there wasnt enough room so back to the 100gallon they went!

Heres what it was at the start(2 weeks ago) to the progression of what it is now:

Specs
Running 2 canister filter that came with the tank
5lb tank with JBJ regulator/bubble counter and Rhinox diffuser
216 watt Catalina light fixture
EI dosing with dry ferts and root tabs

Inhabitants
1 Cherry Shrimp, 2 Amano shrimps, 7 CRS
1 SAE
2 Rams
5 ottos
6 rasboras
7 rummynose
9 cardinals

Surprisingly, nothing has died on me!! *knock on wood* I must be doing something right now!

Well, the future plan is to add some more fauna and rearrange(add/subtract) some flora. I also want to work on my aquascaping techniques(more hardscape)/photography skills in the near future. Haha. Any pointers at all?

I'm broke after this setup, so I wont be doing a rescape any time soon. All my spare money from the past couple paychecks went into this! I hope you enjoyed my journey thus far! There will be more to come...dun dun dun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
nice man, how's the balloon rams doin? i heard those are really hard to take care of. and as for some photography tips, just get a tripod. it'll solve all your problems. lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! It's still a work in progress. I'll try to get a tripod when I have money. LOL

The balloon rams are doing great! They're pretty shy though. They'll hide in the plants when I'm near the tank and stay out in the open when I look from afar. I'm feeding them a variety of food of : frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, prime reef flakes, and they'll even eat the tetra pellets I have.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
is your light half actinic? if so switch the bulb out.
otherwise you need to correct the white balance on your camera.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No, the lights aren't actinic. I'm not sure how to change the white setting with the camera. I guess i'll have to go read through the manual and try to play around with the settings.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 07:07 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What kind of camera is it? Since you've got so much light on the tank, increase the shutter speed as much as you can without the pictures looking too dark. That should eliminate the blur, it also helps if you have something solid to place the camera on...a tripod will obviously work, but if you don't have one you can rest it on the back of a chair or stack some books or something.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't have a really good camera, it's just a Canon Powershot SD750. I've had this camera for awhile, but no real experience with it. All I pretty much do is turn it on and click. Haha. I guess it's a good time to read over the manual and play with the settings. I'll try to place it on books and see what i get when i get the chance.

When taking the pictures, is it placed on a timer setting and multiple picture taken at once(Sorry, I don't know the terminology)? Or do i just place it on a tripod or books and press the button?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh another question just came to mind. Since there's so much light, would turning off a couple of the bulbs off decrease the blurriness? i guess it's better to test it out and see. HAHA. Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
not really. itll make it look less washed-out (the lighter parts of the tank wont look white).
the slow shutter speed makes it blurry because you need to hold still for longer and the slight movements like breathing tend to have a bigger affect on the picture.

change the white blanace, decrease the shutter speed, and make sure you are focusing at the right part of the tank. some pics are out of focus, like the second one (looks like the focus was on the tubes behind the tank, not anything in the tank).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode