Dutch Style Tank with Collectoritus (45+ species)\ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dutch Style Tank with Collectoritus (45+ species)\

I've been getting ready for the arrival of a 250G tall tank which I'm planning to use for some discus, schooling fish, and plants.

In the meantime I have a 70G tank that I am using to test all the different systems I am going to put into the tank - UV sterilizer, CO2 diffuser, drip system etc. To get the plants going well, and decide on some species with first hand experience, I got a whole wack of plants from the forums and planted the tank. Added a cleaner crew and a school of raspboras to go with some rosy barbs I had been keeping for the last 2 years from the remnants of a once mighty low light low tech tank with bronze crypts and java fern.

Fish list as far as I can remember is:

4 peppered cories
2 panda cories
2 bronze cories
5 ottos
3 siamese algae eaters
3 flying fox
1 BN pleco
1 golden pleco
8 harlequin rasboras
4 rosy barbs
3 american flag fish
3 currently unknown hitch-hiker fry

Some specs and what not:

Volume: 70G

2 HOB filters, UV powerhead w/ DIY spraybar

5x DIY CO2 diffused through powerheads or filters 24hr + 1/2 BPS pressurized CO2 on for 10hr

160W T5HO with split Giesmann midday/aquaflora + Tek reflectors on for 10hr

Zebra rock + driftwood hardscape

Two layer substrate with PFS on top with root tabs seperated from bottom layer of mulm+gravel+sand + root tab by window screen.

Plant Gro NPK, Plant Gro Iron, Flourish and Flourish Tabs for ferts

Here's the tank 9 days into first big planting:

and after first trim (see Canada Swap n Shop for trimmings for shipping cost only):

Got a bit of green algae spots on the front glass and had a decent size Anubias Nana rhizome melt away for unknown reasons but the stems are growing well, and the rest of the crypts, swords, foreground and mosses are pearling after 3-4hrs of lights on so things seem to be growing well. Hopefully stays this way...

Critique and comments welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 08:49 AM

Have you got any bigger pictures?

Quite like it though from those small images, your 250G should be interesting
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Not bad at all. And welllllllll.... where is the species list??

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
Not bad at all. And welllllllll.... where is the species list??
It's in the first post...

Quote:
Fish list as far as I can remember is:

4 peppered cories
2 panda cories
2 bronze cories
5 ottos
3 siamese algae eaters
3 flying fox
1 BN pleco
1 golden pleco
8 harlequin rasboras
4 rosy barbs
3 american flag fish
3 currently unknown hitch-hiker fry
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Planted Member

i really like your tank, lots of colors and textures and it all works very nicely

Aqueon 120 gallon community (planted)
ADA 120p - 65 gallon community (planted)
Eclipse system II tall - 30 gallon - mixed community (non planted)
AGA 20 gallon - lake Tanganyika shell dwellers (semi planted)
6.6 gallon nano planted red cherry shrimp (planted)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
really nice!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here goes for plant lists I think the total is 55 species:

scarlett temple Scarlet hygro amazon sword blecheri sword chain sword pogostemon gayi crinum cast. val spiralis crypt parva jungle val red val bacopa carolina crypt balansae crypt unknown crypt unknown anubias nana nasaea pedicullata 'tropica' rubin sword red diamond plantlet crypt undulatus crypt wenditii 'green' crypt wenditti 'bronze' java fern narrow java fern windelov rotala inclinata nasaea crassicaulis 'tropica' ranalisma rostrata ludwigia repens weeping moss flame moss christmas moss pheonix moss marcilea drummondi ludwigia repens ludwigia arculata pogostemon stellata ludwigia inclinata var verticillata 'cuba' lilaeopsis brasiliensis didiplis diandra pogostemon helferi hygrophila balsamica riccia fluitans hemianthus micronthermoides rotala wallidril singapore moss rotala macandra hemianthus c. 'cuba' dwarf hairgrass echinodorus parviflorus 'tropica' anubias nana var 'petite' crypt wendtii 'green' crypt wenddtii 'tropica' crypt lucens limnophila aromatica crypt unknown
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

New Pics July 8

Added 5 harlequin raspboras to the school but one had a suspect dot or 2 on him so he got moved to the 10G shrimp tank.

Added 3 panda corys....these guys are great. Favourite fish in the tank by far right now.

Moved the red val. to the left side with the driftwood. Hoping to create a stringly leave path from the crypts up to the val and other grass plant (can't remember species, to lazy to look up) but right now looks like crap there.

Moved the red rubin sword up to the middle and trimmed everything green from it. Moved rotala wallichi (I think) from left side to right where the sword and red val. were originally. Trimmed it in half as well so see if the new digs treat it as well as it has been going so far.

Had a breakout of BBA that I first noticed yesterday. Believe it is my DIY CO2 petering out. Have pressurized but was running low BPS because of 6x DIY CO2. Now have CO2 going 3bps through a UV powerhead for diffusion. Hopefully this works out and the BBA growth is stopped, then I can attack with Excel.

Other than BBA everything is going and growing well. The right side will be trimmed this weekend likely. Anyone wanting these stems some will be available at shipping cost only.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
I love the red plants in the background, what kind are they?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks for comments.

red plants are....
ludwigia repens on the right side
rotalla wallichi on the right side
scralett temple behind the stump
rotala macandra on the left
red val on the left

didn't like the repens at first but it has turned out to be a nice one.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Nice tank. I'd keep an eye on the rosy barbs; awesome fish but the ones I had did quite a number on my stargrass.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Been a bit over a week and the tank has had a bit of a downturn. A bit of BBA managed to root itself onto the slow growers when I was transitioning from DIY to pressurized CO2. I have the CO2 situation sorted out now. Also, had a bid of hair algae and GDA break out due to some nutrient deficiencies with the higher CO2. Still working on fine tuning the fert cycle but I think I have it down now. Spot dosed about 70-80mL of peroxide to some the algae as well with the filters off. Started the powerhead after an hour or 2 and then the filters 12 hrs later. Made figure 50-75% water change between the time the powerhead turned on and the pumps turned on. Definitely did a job on some of the algae, but now the plants aren't pearling nearly as much. Repeated this for 2 days and shortened photo period from 10 hrs to 7hrs. Added 12 ghost shrimp and 3 yamato shrimp also as the war waged against algae is being stepped up.

Did some trimming of algaed up leaves. Moved a few things around. Swapped out the small zebra rock on the right for a bit bigger one as the stems were just about making the old one invisible. Will be doing a trim Monday night. Cuttings will be available to Canadians...send PM.

Also, looked up the barbs, they are actually goldens.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 11:39 PM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Looking pretty good! From one collectoritis patient to another: you did a really nice job blending all the plants. A lot of collectoritis tanks I've seen look like a plant farm rather than a scape (my 20 long's last incarnation is included there).

The only thing I would change is the positioning of the sword. It's a bit too centered for my eyes. If it was moved about 6 inches to the left, I think it would make a very nice focal point.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks...after looking at it now I see what you mean with the sword. Totally hadn't thought about that one on my own. I'll have to move a rock over a bit but should work out OK.

I pulled the last of the DIY CO2 lines last night but forgot to take the hose out of the HOB filter and I came home from work today to a tank that was 3/4 empty. I think I siphoned it off with this hose. Needless to say all extraneous hoses are out of the tank now. Lost a couple raspboras I think, and I haven't seen my adult gold barbs yet. A couple ghost shrimp died too but thank goodness for a plumbed in fill line. Quick refill and some dechlorinator and the tank is good to go again.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for comments...after looking at it now I see what you mean with the sword. Totally hadn't thought about that one on my own. I'll have to move a rock over a bit but should work out OK.

I pulled the last of the DIY CO2 lines last night but forgot to take the hose out of the HOB filter and I came home from work today to a tank that was 3/4 empty. I think I siphoned it off with this hose. Needless to say all extraneous hoses are out of the tank now. Lost a couple raspboras I think, and I haven't seen my adult gold barbs yet. A couple ghost shrimp died too but thank goodness for a plumbed in fill line. Quick refill and some dechlorinator and the tank is good to go again.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode