17.1 Mr Aqua Dwarf Puffer tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
17.1 Mr Aqua Dwarf Puffer tank.

10/10/15- Just wanted to update this post with how the aquarium stands today, it is starting to come together!

8/11/15- My CO2Art "Professional Aquarium CO2 Dual Stage Regulator and Solenoid Magnetic Valve" and JBJ style bubble counter arrived. Only took 8 days for my order to arrive with free shipping!
The regulator setup seems to be in good shape.

One of the compression fittings for the bubble counter was tapped sideways so it screws on kind of wonky. Not that big of a deal since I wasn't planning on using it forever.

8/10/15- Finished painting the back of the tank black. I had used a satin finish black acrylic paint. Applied 5 coats.

8/8/15- Stopped by Tong's in Fountain Valley today and went through all of their lava rock. I picked the three I liked the most, although I am not sure I will use them all. I'm excited to finally have some hardscape to start brainstorming ideas around.

The rock on the left is darker because I had gotten it wet to see what it would look like.

8/4/15- My Mr Aqua arrived! Man is that a good looking tank. When I compare it to the 20g high I had originally gotten from petco, I am absolutely blown away. I would like to thank Raymond S. for suggesting it to me, it does fit in that spot perfectly. I even have enough room to mount the filter on the back and be able to remove it . I am planning on painting the back of the tank black, and am probably going to get a second AC20 to run alongside my other one.

It's starting to come together! Waiting on my CO2art regulator to arrive.

Original Post:
Spoiler
Hello everyone,

I have been wanting to get an aquarium for a while now, but am limited as to where I could keep one. I have a small area in my apartment than I can use which I am hoping you could help me find a tank for. It's dimensions are 28"X16.5"X20" with a 12.5" overhang above it

I've attached a picture of the spot in question with the dimensions on it for those of you that care to look.
Spoiler

Being as this is a planted tank forum my goal would obviously be to have a planted tank, but as far as the types of "residents" and plants that would live in it I am completely open to suggestions; if all you can recommend for that space is a tank that would hold a betta that's fine with me. As you can see from the picture the area is kind of restricted, which means I would need a tank small enough that I could reach behind, still be able to open if it had a cover, and just be able to maintenance in general.

I'm not opposed to storing stuff behind the tank, but drilling into the cabinet bellow or above the area is not an option. Which restricts me to having a low tech tank.

I'm hoping you could help me set up with a budget of 300 dollars, although that might be flexible depending on what's being recommended and such.

If enough people think that putting an aquarium there is a bad idea, I've also thought of putting a terrarium there. Or I could just put the introduction to a new hobby on hold for now. It kind of depends on what your expert advice is on it.

Thanks for stopping by!

Take care,
Trent

Last edited by Trnt; 10-10-2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Added 8/10/15 and 8/11/15 entries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
An interesting question being what type of material is that counter made of.
A 20g regular tank(without paying through the nose for something exotic)would fit well
but would not be supported on each end by some support that is actually under the edge of the tank. So the material type is important here.
Or you could go the exotic...
http://www.marinedepot.com/Mr._Aqua_...FIAQRA-vi.html
Petco may still have that $1 per gallon sale right now BTW.
I'd look under the counter to see how it's supported. A 20g tank weighs over 160Lb.
Then a filter.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/a...er-filter.html
The 20 is good enough especially if you put it on the end instead of the back.
This light is dimmable but not cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Satellite-Freshwater-Plus-Aquarium-Wireless/dp/B00C2C9E0G/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1437246282&sr=8-33-spons&keywords=current+satellite+plusThe height of that tank is not tall enough for most LED lights to be used without getting algae as they are too intense for that height or some are not strong enough.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The counter appears to be made out of MDF with some small particle board supports.

Here is a couple pictures
Spoiler

I wouldn't be opposed to taking the middle shelf out and installing some reinforcements inside though. I guess if I wanted to get really crazy I could take the door off and make a new one with a hole in in order to run some gas lines for CO2 injection, keeping water inside there probably wouldn't be a good idea though due to the humidity.

Also, as for the light being too intense, would installing some type of material to diffuse the light help? I'm thinking a piece of frosted acrylic or something.

Edit: Oh, are you suggesting that I need that light because it is dimmable due to most other lights being too intense and causing algae problems? Sorry I had misunderstood you originally.

Last edited by Trnt; 07-18-2015 at 07:49 PM. Reason: My original response was based off of a misunderstanding.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
It appears(?) that there is a board on each side vertical against each wall which actually
supports each end of the top ?
I would feel much safer to put a 3/4 inch plywood cut 1/4" short on top of the top board if that has those vertical supports under each end of it.
Why could you not do this ? The first three or four are Brooklyn type and about $50 at
Petco.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-006

They seem very sturdy and it has adjustable length legs for leveling.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes, there are vertical supports under the left and right side as well as the back edge of the counter. Cut plywood on top is something I was actually thinking of as well.

I don't want to do a separate stand because I don't have space for it in my room, and I don't want it to be in the living room because the only space that I would have for it would be to the side of the TV, but even that would be a tight fit. There is a bar area with granite counter tops from the kitchen to the living room that we don't use as a bar that I could put the tank on. But the other factor would be that I don't have a whole lot of control over the amount of light that room gets. Also that small space is "mine" since it's in the hallway to my room so I wouldn't be taking up communal space (I have roommates), and since it's right outside my room I would see it every time I go into my room which means I would be able to enjoy it more often, and also keep a closer eye on it in case things start going wrong.

Also, that 17.1 gallon frameless tank looks really nice . Would the light you suggest still work with tank having a width of 23.6"? The light states 24"...
Doesn't seem to matter though as I'm getting ready to head to my local petco and see if I can take advantage of that dollar a gallon deal going on right now.

Last edited by Trnt; 07-18-2015 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Response about tank
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, I got a 20 gallon tank. For 23 dollars out the door it didn't seem too bad. Although having it on that counter right now makes me think that maybe I should go with that rimless 17.1 gallon tank, those couple inches of room I gain on the top might be beneficial.

Picture of the tank on the shelf:
Spoiler

If the bottom of the tank looks yellow, that's because I had put a mountain dew inside of it as I was walking up the stairs with it and it tipped over /facepalm.

What are your guy's thoughts? Should I go with the 17.1 for a slightly smaller set up?

Last edited by Trnt; 08-05-2015 at 11:22 PM. Reason: grammar correction.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 12:27 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
The biggest issue I "think" I see with your setup is access to the tank for cleaning and other things. The overhead cabinet "appears" to be directly over the tank in the above picture.

Originally on my 20 gallon planted tank I had this really nice canopy. Looked great! But in reality, I had it off more than on due to access issues.

The way the tank looks at the bottom for the space available looks very nice. Not sure how usable the outlet will be but it looks like you might be able to get one of the flush/angled type plugs in there.

Something else to consider (only because I had to) is how many "things" you will eventually have plugged into something.

Filter, light, heater are the minimum items. I also added a circulation pump, cO2 and an air pump. Several of those items are on mechanical timers.

Just some thoughts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I realize that wanting to restrict myself to such a small area is probably going to be a pain in my neck (possibly literally). As a newbie I will admit that I don't quite know how much of a pain it is going to be. I think I will get the Mr Aqua 17.1 gallon, those couple extra inches in room I would gain (2.6" actually) really will make a difference, especially if I am going to place a piece of plywood under my tank for some added stability.

Some pictures with clearance measurements with the 20 gallon tank:
Spoiler

This shows how much space I have looking directly down from the overhead cabinet.

This measurement for the clearance on the side is taken with the tank pushed all the way to the right.

Trying to find out how much overhang an aquaclear 20 would have, does anyone know by chance? I would like to put it on the side since it would be a lot easier to access. I figure I could tuck a power strip behind the tank if I needed to.

/Sigh I thought I was going to luck out. Such is life.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 01:08 AM
Captain

My AquaClear 50 measures 3" from the back of the tank to the back of the filter. Your 4" will be plenty. Also, bear in mind at some point you will need to service the impeller on the AQ20. Which basically means with the tank full (i.e., immovable) you will need to figure out how to get the filter out from behind the tank and into your hands.

The 3.5" on the side might be a better option for the filter. Atleast you would have a better chance of servicing it.

Your first picture would leave me to believe you have enough room to get your arm into the tank to use a gravel vacuum to get things clean.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
The 3.5" on the side might be a better option for the filter. Atleast you would have a better chance of servicing it.
I agree, from where I want to put my tank it looks like it would have to have the filter mounted on the side, I figure I could slide it along the side towards the front when I need to service it.

Quote:
Your first picture would leave me to believe you have enough room to get your arm into the tank to use a gravel vacuum to get things clean.
Yes, I can easily reach inside the tank as it currently stands. With 3/4" of plywood under it I should still be able to- but it would be easier if I went with a slightly shorter tank, also I imagine that would make servicing that filter when it comes time easier.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 01:31 AM
Captain

Did not necessarily want to talk you out of the 20 gallon tank, but wanted to offer you some ideas of the various things I have had to deal with. I now have 2 tanks sitting side by side with about 1.5" between them. Looks great until you realize the glass is getting dirty/water streaked and now you have to figure out how to clean it :-)

Best of luck on your new adventure. Your location looks like with could be very cool once done.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Did not necessarily want to talk you out of the 20 gallon tank, but wanted to offer you some ideas of the various things I have had to deal with. I now have 2 tanks sitting side by side with about 1.5" between them. Looks great until you realize the glass is getting dirty/water streaked and now you have to figure out how to clean it :-).
The 17 gallon tank only gives me more room above the tank; it doesn't really give me more room to the left or right. But lifting the filter up and then turning it would be easier I imagine if I do hang it on the back. I guess I could put a couple linear slides under the tank to allow me to slide the tank to the other side for cleaning. Should I be worried about humidity building up in that area above the aquarium? Do you think I should staple down a protective layer or two of clear heavy plastic? I feel like a small fan to keep the air circulating might be a bit overkill(?)

I've ordered an aquaclear 20 to try and test fit which should be here on monday.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 03:36 AM
Captain

You should be fine with the overhead cabinet (humidity).
You likely will have some water spilling around the tank at some point during it's life. Will a layer of heavy plastic help? Hard to say. Should not need a circulation fan - although I currently have 2 running above my 75g trying to keep the tank temp below 80 degrees. gotta love a summer heat wave.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well Amazon decided to be extra cool and delivered my filter a day early this morning.

I have test fit the filter and was able to mount it with a little over an inch to spare from the wall. I can also relatively easily remove the filter when I slide it towards the front.

That being said, I do think I am going to order the Mr. Aqua, there is about a 2-3 week lead time on them right now though. Going to go back through the guides and try and start putting together a cart of items that I know I will need.

Spoiler
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This thread was originally just supposed to be for finding a tank that would be appropriate for my needs, but now that I have the tank, I figure I might as well convert this to a journal so my aquarium adventure is documented all in one place.

I'm looking at surge protectors right now and I think I am going to get a Power Squid or one of those Belkins that has swiveling outlets, both should be pretty easy to plug timers and power blocks into. This would be running my light and CO2 solenoid both of which would be on timers, then I have a heater (plugged into a temperature controller), a powerhead, and possibly two AC20's.

Trent

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode