80gal - 1st try at aquascaping/Journal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
80gal - 1st try at aquascaping/Journal

I am in the process of setting up a new/used 80 gal tank that I got several months ago. I have been collecting things to go in it and am now ready to start in ernest.
And this is what I have so far.

I am shameless trying to copy a tank that I saw on the AquaScaping World site call "My Drfitwood Layout" I don't have nearly as interesting dirftwood as raven or quite the collections of plants (yet) but will have a go at it anyway. This is Raven's tank:

I will be using Catalina 4x54 t5 lights.
Subtrate: Flourite w/Aquabase by Ferka, white sand
Pressurized CO2 (Thanks Orlando!)
Filter: Fluval 404
Rocks and driftwood collected locally
Flora: (so far):
Bacopa sp. ' Araguaia'
Cabomba Furcata
Limnophilia Aromatica
Pogostemon Stellatus 'needle leaf'
Anubias nana
Java fern
Blyxa japonica
and others
Fauna: ? Thinking about Tiger Barbs, Oto, Cories, Kulli Loach, Spotted Hillstream Loach,

Any suggestions?

More to follow as I make progress.

I would welcome any comments and suggestions.

Last edited by binders; 07-07-2009 at 02:41 PM. Reason: updating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Its a start....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Added some water and plants yesterday. Hoping water will clear soon. Still have a few more plants to get added (they should arrive in a few days). Lights (Catalina 4x54) to get hung tonight. Still trying to figure out where to hang the lights. Centered or a little to the back. (See separate post https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/li...over-tank.html )

Got CO2 up and running yeaterday also. Need to get some good light on the plants. Some of them have been in a bucket for too long. Hopefully they will recover.

can't wait to get some fish in here. I am planning on moving 4 tiger barbs that I have in another tank over in the next day or two.

Here's what it looks like for now (sorry for the bad photography!):

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Lights hung!

Husband and daughter hung the lights over my tanks (an 80 and a 29) tonights and I am really excited. I have only has an old 1x54 on this tank since I started settign it up and now the tank is almost glowing. Don't want to go to bed. I want to keep the lights on and see if any of the plants start to pearl.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 05:40 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
VERY nice layout.. love it! You're def on the right track.

Keep us updated!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the encouragement AzFishKid.

We are practically neighbors. Don't find many people in NM doing planted aquariums. Suuples, especially plants are hard to come by. You have any better luck in AZ?
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this your first ever aquascape?! If so youve done a job thats 10 times better than mine lolol. Love the hardscape, the only thing left for it is to fill up and maybe some more stem plants?

[/SIGPIC]Want to go nano , but donīt know where to start
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

More plants are on their way, hopefully today! Thanks for the kind words.
Will try and get more pictures up today of the whole set-up and what it looks like with the new lights.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Looks like you're off to a good start, but the driftwood on the right looks a bit wierd.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
Looks like you're off to a good start, but the driftwood on the right looks a bit wierd.
See what you mean. I have some more peice but don't know if they will look any better. I will see what I can do. The one forked peice has some really neat twists in it that make it look interesting but the way it is positioned looks wierd. Will think about options. Thanks for the input. You can never get enough!
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Your layout skills definitely blow mine away (even though you had a model to go by )

Great start. Looking forward to updates.

"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I love the sand river look! Wish my tank didn't have that giant freakin overflow for me to try to hide or I'd have loved to do something similar. Can't wait to see how it fills in over time

Nicole
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamadman View Post
Is this your first ever aquascape?!

Have had a planted tank for awhile but never anything planned, just stuck the plants in where there was room. This is my first attempt at laying things out and trying to get a effect (river). Also never had a tank anywhere near this big before. I've had tanks since I was a kid but never been very good about maintaining them or spending much time learning about what the fish and plants need. Since I found this site I can't read enough. There is so much information out there!

Thanks for the compliment.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just did some water test and looks like it is cycled. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20ppm. I had the fluval 404 running on my old 29 for the past several weeks hoping that I would be able to sead this new tank quickly. Looks like it worked. So can imagine the flow I had in the 29 with a Fluvan 305 and 404 running in it at the same time. My fish are in shock with how still the water is now with only the 305 running! LOL

I am wondering if I will have to do something about the hardness of my water. KH tested at 8deg (143.2ppm) with GH at 10deg (179). Is this too high? I am just using tap water and don't really want to go to RO/DI on such a big tank if I can help it. Any thoughts out there?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Water is still milky and I think it must be a baterial bloom. Don't know what I can do about it but wait it out. I still don't have any fish in this tank and since I am going out of town I will just let this tank sort itself out when I am gone. Maybe in a week it will clear itself and I will be ready to go. I am worried about the plants in here though! Not sure they are getting enough light since the water is so cloudy. So much for seeding the filter from the other tank i order to get this one started and cycled quickly!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode