New tank after hiatus - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
New tank after hiatus

I haven't been around for a few years, initially started off with a 20 long, dirted tank. I moved across the province and tore it down and sold off the pieces. My last tank was a pico reef, but moved again and sold everything once more (had a tank crash and didn't want to repay to put more corals in).

I have just started a new tank, going for simplicity. It's been up since last friday, so only a few days.

equipment:
Evolve 8 with stock light and filter (filter has been drilled out)
hydor 25w

Insides:
Fluval stratum
some rocks
Cabomba
Dwarf baby tears
dwarf hair grass

Planning on:
a crypt or 2 possibly to break up the bunch of cabomba with other texture (or other plant, haven't decided)
neocaridina of some sort
maybe some endlers or micro rasboras

tank is cycling with Dr. Tim's ammonia. Now need to wait for it to do it's thing.

FTS, I like it and don't, something irks me about the rock placement but I can't put my finger on what.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 09:23 PM
Algae Grower

I think it looks great can't wait to see it filled in. Is that light going to be enough and are you going to add co2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks

I'm not planning on CO2, I want to keep it simple, hoping the light is enough, I guess we'll see! lol

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
equipment:
Evolve 8 with stock light and filter (filter has been drilled out)

tank is cycling with Dr. Tim's ammonia. Now need to wait for it to do it's thing.

FTS, I like it and don't, something irks me about the rock placement but I can't put my finger on what.

Dr. Tim's ammonia is a very interesting product. Unfortunate that the shipping is more than the product. When I move I shall get that product.

Perhaps it will look better when the baby tears grows out. Perhaps rah-bop's tank will give you some ideas. He scaped it by photographers rule of two-thirds.

All the plants are looking great. Thus Co2 addition doesn't seem a necessity.

Last edited by Hilde; 07-27-2015 at 01:31 AM. Reason: wrong quote
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Algae Grower

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 02:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
The Evovle stock led will not support medium to high light plants like you have. When I tried a evolve 4 it was barely at the bottom of low light directly under the fixture.. (I asked the company for par info via email). Update your lighting soon before the plants start to suffer.
I'm personally a fan of cheap and efficient so I use 1 watt 6500k cfl bulb in a clamp on lamp.. not pretty and slim like an LED but at home depot you can get a 4 pack of those LEDs for under $5 and the lamp for $6-8. Desk lamps with built in reflectors also work well. No real expertise on LEDs to say what would work for your tank height/length.. probably one of the clip on models..maybe Finnex Stingray?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Dr. Tim's ammonia is a very interesting product. Unfortunate that the shipping is more than the product. When I move I shall get that product.

Perhaps it will look better when the baby tears grows out. Perhaps rah-bop's tank will give you some ideas. He scaped it by photographers rule of two-thirds.

All the plants are looking great. Thus Co2 addition doesn't seem a necessity.

My son-in-law had that tank. The java moss grew low to the ground with it. He told me that the light got splashed with water when changing the water, thus the light got damaged. He said putting silicone in an area would have prevented that.
Dr Tim's ammonia is on amazon as an add on item (canada and usa) which is where I got it. It works well, I've cycled a few tanks with it, I couldn't find pure ammonia in any stores close by. Thanks for the suggestions on rah-bop's I'll take a look! I also definitely plan on removing the light for water changes, it's much too close to the water.

Zee- such pretty fish!

Aqua- I plan to keep a close eye on it for now, I don't really mind if the baby tears grow up rather then spread and carpet the tank but if it seems like they need more light I will be putting a CFL on there or even a par30. I have the gooseneck from my reef system in a box incase that happens. There is a thread on here somewhere that shows that the light can maintain medium light plants. Thanks for your input
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=184368

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...2&postcount=21

Added:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=171680

Loops like 8 has slightly better light than 4 but the corners are not going to get any love.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
thanks! that's really helpful
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

not so interesting update, nitrite spike occured a few days ago, diatom bloom underway. Did a small water change today as nitrite levels were super high. Still watching and waiting....

Did discover that my tap water has about 20ppm of nitrates in it :S I may grab some distilled water to cut in with my tap to drop that level down.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

0 nitrite reading today, dosed more ammonia, getting there!

Plants are doing ok, cabomba is fine no melting or yellowing, some yellowing of the dwarf baby tears but most of it is pre-purchase (it was in a little pot all squished together with some yellow lower leaves), a few yellowing leaves on the DHG but overall ok. I do have another evolve 8 LED on the way to me in the mail and I'm planning on setting up some diy CO2 at some point soon.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

second light just came! It's just another evolve 8 LED but with 2 I think the plants will do much better, much more even distribution of light this way. pretty pleased with aqueon too, because I couldn't buy the replacement from their site due to being in Canada they sent me a second one free, I just had to pay shipping ($22). Pretty good customer service if you ask me!

Bump: quick cellphone pic:

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

DIY co2 stuff is curing, will set it up tomorrow. Got some aquavitro ferts (iron, micro/trace and phosphorus) as an LFS had them on sale for $3.75 a bottle, which is super cheap. Was going to grab some dry ferts but these were cheaper, and since my tank is so small it was worthwhile. Going to hold off on dosing nitrogen as my tap water is fairly high already, but will grab some if I need it.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

DIY CO2 is setup, foolishly used silicone sealant for the tubes, they leaked, tore it all off and hot glued it. Now pushing 1bps, just waiting for the pressure to build up to diffuse into the tank. Fingers crossed there is no more leaks.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2015, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You can test for leaks but putting a little soap in water then putting that over any possible leak points (joints etc). The soap will make it bubble if its leaking-I recall reading that I think on here a while ago.

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode