29 Gallon Planted Tank (First Attempt!) Updated 1-14-10 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
29 Gallon Planted Tank (First Attempt!) Updated 1-14-10

So after constant research and study of planted aquariums and also fishkeeping I decided to dabble and invest in a planted tank! So this "journal" will be mostly for my records and for you all to enjoy and watch the process of yet another planted tank.

So heres the tank at first setup! Only had some anacharis on hand and a few rocks with the standard hood and light.

Last edited by Damian; 01-15-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Purchased some new lights. Got a good deal on two Coralife 30" 65 watt PC fixtures. As of right now I am only using one fixture. I swapped out the actinic bulb in one and am currently running to 10k 65 watt bulbs in one fixture over the tank. So if my calculations are correct that puts me at 130 watts which translates to roughly 4watts per gallon? Im still fairly new to this so any help aprecciated.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Heres a pic of the tank with the new lighting and did some aquascaping though its not set in stone yet. The plants are some sunset hygro, anacharis, Rotala Indica(green and wallichi) which I had purchased from Coltonorr and a huge amazon sword that has a smaller one growing from it. Introduced a DIY co2 system to battle the intense light I have going on in my tank. Waiting for the arrival of my glass co2 diffuser so atm am "diffusing" co2 through a ceramic stone. BTW the substrate I went with is the activflora www.activflora.com Ive got about 2 bags in there with some black gravel to cap the substrate. My only complaint so far is that it is very messy. Im not too sure you can tell in the pic but it kicks up so much dust and it gets all over the plants. I have an aquaclear 50 HOB filter and will soon be running another here in the next week or so to see if thatll help.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 06:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. Thank you!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Awesome tank, great start!

Sounds like your on the right track. Good lighting choice btw.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 06:03 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks nice and simple, which is always useful for a first attempt at something.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinz180189 View Post
Looks nice and simple, which is always useful for a first attempt at something.
Indeed. Although I am getting rather ambitious and looking to add more.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So its been about a week since the plants have been in place. Maybe two. Heres an updated pic of the tank. At the moment im battling some green hair algae and snails! Some stowaways from plants that I must have missed! They reproduce so fast its incredible. Also introduced some otos to help battle the algae(hopefully).

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So heres an updated pic of what the tank looks like atm. Tank is cycled and housed by 3 otos, 4 neon tetras(two didnt survive the move). I have a blue and white or rather clear halfmoon betta that I'm debating on putting inside the tank. I would love for him to be the centerpiece. Im curious as to what your thoughts are to this. Is it too much tank for him? Tankmates unsuitable? The Bettas name is Furious Stylez.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Depends on your betta. Is he aggressive to every living thing in his domain, or is he peaceful to everything except another male betta? If he's too aggressive, the neons might not do so well. Also, otos are not the most effective against hair algae.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
Depends on your betta. Is he aggressive to every living thing in his domain, or is he peaceful to everything except another male betta? If he's too aggressive, the neons might not do so well. Also, otos are not the most effective against hair algae.
Sounds rough but I have been watching the betta and he seems very peaceful compared to my other two. He does not flare up at the sight of others and eats peacefully rather than vigorously. He seems mild mannered enough although looks can be deceiving with these fish. As far as the hair algae, I've been removing most myself, they were mostly in there to deal with some brown algae that had made its way on my plants. They are clean beautiful and very bright green compared to before. They had looked as though they were dying when infact it was just algae. I will give it a whril and give you guys a heads up!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Good start! I can see the algae you are talking about.
You will experience much less algae growth if you remove one bulb from your fixture, leaving you with 2.24 wpg, and you can still grow almost every plant. 4wpg is very intense, even at the hands of an experienced plant keeper who has a tank with a steady 30ppm of Co2 from a pressurized system.
The main thing you should concentrate on now, is getting the most consistent supply of Co2 possible. Co2 will end up being a much more limiting factor for growth and stability than light ever will be. A good early investment along with your diffuser would be a drop checker to help you measure the amount of Co2 in your tank.

Try dropping to one 65w bulb instead of two. It may seem a little dimmer than two, but you will get used to it, and your plants will thank you in the end.

Keep us posted. The tank looks promising! Watch out though. TPT forum is addictive!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
Good start! I can see the algae you are talking about.
You will experience much less algae growth if you remove one bulb from your fixture, leaving you with 2.24 wpg, and you can still grow almost every plant. 4wpg is very intense, even at the hands of an experienced plant keeper who has a tank with a steady 30ppm of Co2 from a pressurized system.
The main thing you should concentrate on now, is getting the most consistent supply of Co2 possible. Co2 will end up being a much more limiting factor for growth and stability than light ever will be. A good early investment along with your diffuser would be a drop checker to help you measure the amount of Co2 in your tank.

Try dropping to one 65w bulb instead of two. It may seem a little dimmer than two, but you will get used to it, and your plants will thank you in the end.

Keep us posted. The tank looks promising! Watch out though. TPT forum is addictive!
Definitely will keep you guys posted! Any suggestions on what plants to put in? The anacharis will be coming out soon. Though I just started the hobby i feel the plant is too "basic" lol. A drop checker is on the way.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update. Sunset Hygro has overtaken the tank! Did a trim afterward. Here the pics. I apologize for the terrible picture quality.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Been awhile since I've updated this. Finally got some driftwood and decided to scape it alittle differently. I'm trying to decide if I should pull the sword and plant the bronze wendtii in its place(the ones thats floating. have not planted it yet or know what to do with it). I dont know what else i should put in here. I have plenty of hygro sunset, some rotala wallchii and green. What would be a good background plant or something to fill some areas? Here are some pics.
Editidnt realize those pics were so big!

Last edited by Damian; 08-15-2009 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Pics are huuuge. Resized.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode