I set up this tank back in May(?) I believe. It started out as a bit of an experiment. I'd been using my 7.5 gallon Finnex cube for reef tank until I tore it down and moved everything over to a standard ten gallon. I sort of forgot about it for awhile, until one day when I saw some ludwigia growing in a ditch near my house. I went back later and dug up a 10x10 inch piece of the stuff. The roots were really dense and held onto dirt like a roll of sod. I took it back, put it in the tank, and let it grow emersed for about a week before I flooded it. The only substrate was the 1.5-2 inches of dirt that was stuck to the roots, plus some gravel to fill in the corners. It was basically a dirt tank without a cap. A few things floated up when I flooded the thing but the water stayed surprisingly clear. A few months later, repeated trimmings and high light has caused the ludwigia to stay very short and compact. It's also beginning to turn red.
At some point along the way I added an airstone, which was later replaced with an Aquaclear 20. A few days ago I added a cheap co2 system, which I think I'm going to return. It's just too much of a hassle for me. I'll probably just use diy excel instead. I've been doing frequent water changes, as the tank is still fairly young. I don't dose anything. Lately the water has been exceptionally clear and the glass free of algae. I get a bit of that green spot algae from time to time, but nothing else. As far as livestock goes, I've got a random assortment of snails, four white cloud mountain minnows (which have been breeding) and two black neons. I sort of rescued them from a friend who was tearing down a tank.
The leaves are much more red than orange. My iphone does something weird with the light.
I expect the leaves to grow back smaller and smaller as I continue to trim and re-plant. I really need to go back and find some pics of what it looked like originally. The ludwigia looks like an entirely different plant now.