FirstPlantedTank**56k warning**180 Gallon planted Australian Arowana friendly. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
FirstPlantedTank**56k warning**180 Gallon planted Australian Arowana friendly.

Just a warning I speak freely so I hope I dont offend anyone.... So now thats outa the way I guess I gota start somewhere so I'll start with my name which is Eric. I got into this hobby a few years back with my 29 gallon tall. I killed all of my fish a few times from being a rookie so i decided to start taking this hobby thing a little more seriously. So that lead me to this forum. My dad in a way also got me into this hobby, even though his techniques are very oldschool hes pretty good with pvc. Here is a picture of his koi pond in his back yard.

TANK/STAND
Okay so back to my tank, for starters it's a standard 180 gallon(6x2x2) TruVu w/ dual overflows, acrylic fish tank. I bought it with the stand off of craigs list for about 300 bucks (talked him down from 450). The stand needed alot of work so me and my pops flipped it out with some trim. We sanded off the old paint and recoated it with like 5 coats of lacquor and added some custom wood doors. Also most importantly installed some nice hardware (silent non-slamming) you can pull the doors off easily and reattach them too for easy maintenance. Also added lots of wood glue with some plywood for a little more stability, the old stand had some particle board sections.

PLUMBING / FILTRATION
To get my water from tank to my filter (standard wet/dry with bio balls and some filtration media). I used the Durso pipe system as my strainer. It's so quiet and im very glad I went with this setup. I'm very happy the people on this forum pointed me in that direction. Not only is it super quiet but I get really good suction from it.

My durso pipes are made of, and I'm quoting Richard Durso with this list,
"9 - Toothpick sized hole drilled into End-Cap (8) or use an air-valve.
8 - End-Cap.

7 - Small PVC pipe used to connect End-Cap to Tee Fitting.

6 - Street-Ell. This connects to the Tee fitting. This is the water intake for the stand pipe. The water level should be somewhere around middle of the Steel-Ell if constructed correctly. If slightly higher it will not be a problem. If water level is at the opening of the Steet-Ell you will get a sucking noise. Make hole in End-Cap (9) larger. If you have trouble getting it all to fit in the overflow box, a ¾ elbow should fit snug directly in the 1' tee opening.

5 - Tee fitting. This connects the End-Cap assembly and Intake (Street-Ell) to the stand pipe itself. You'll want to connect the Tee to the standpipe using plumbers tape. This will allow you to remove the Tee fitting if you need to make the stand pipe shorter.

4 - Stand pipe. This should be wider than the bulkhead opening. For a 1 inch bulkhead use a 1 ¼ or 1 ½ diameter PVC pipe. All other fittings used are based on the diameter of this PVC pipe needed.

3 - Reducer Bushing. This connects the stand pipe to the threaded male adapter. If you use 1 ½ inch diameter PVC pipe and you use a 1 inch threaded male adapter, then you need a 1 ½ to 1 inch reducer bushing. (A small section of PVC pipe may be needed to link this to the male adapter below)

2 - Threaded male adapter. This attaches the entire stand pipe assembly to the bulkhead. If your bulkhead is not threaded, then this is not needed. The reducer bushing could be attached directly to the bulkhead. Be sure to use plumbers tape on the threads before screwing into bulkhead. This will help keep a water tight seal.

1 - Bulkhead. This is the opening in the bottom of your overflow chamber where water drains to the sump."

The water flows from my Durso setup into my Wet/dry filter

once the water is in my wet/dry filter it then trickles through the bioballs. From there it gets sucked into my pump (Reeflow Dart) it travels through 2" pvc into the pump and 1.5" out.

It stays at 1.5" untill it T's at the top then it gets split to each side of the tank at 1". Each side has valves to controll the return flow. I also left a T in the middle to add my co² later on.

"If you see me and a moutain lion in a fight don't help me,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the moutain lion."

Last edited by Hover408; 06-26-2009 at 07:19 AM. Reason: New to this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

wow its amazing how fast time goes by uploading pictures to photobucket and resizing them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the moutain lion."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 06:10 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Great start. A lot can be done with a 180, huge size to work with! How about a FTS? (full tank shot)

Those are some VERY impressive koi.. i'm jealous, i only have a few small ones in my 5000 gallon koi pond. Some birds keep snatching them!

Looking forward to seeing this tank evolve.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
Great start. A lot can be done with a 180, huge size to work with! How about a FTS? (full tank shot)

Those are some VERY impressive koi.. i'm jealous, i only have a few small ones in my 5000 gallon koi pond. Some birds keep snatching them!

Looking forward to seeing this tank evolve.
Thanks.. yea my dad had a pond in his front yard too where hte koi kept getting eating by a stork I believe. In the pond in his backyard its pretty deep almost 3 feet or so with some rocks where they can hide. Ill have to get a uptodate pic of his pond he just added a bunch of tree and such to make it look really secluded. Tomarro all add a FTS I think im done for the night.

the moutain lion."
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 06:35 AM
Honeycomb Master

Quote:
Thanks.. yea my dad had a pond in his front yard too where hte koi kept getting eating by a stork I believe. In the pond in his backyard its pretty deep almost 3 feet or so with some rocks where they can hide. Ill have to get a uptodate pic of his pond he just added a bunch of tree and such to make it look really secluded. Tomarro all add a FTS I think im done for the night.
Don't blame ya, it's getting late haha. Looking forward to seeing it though!

I can't even imagine how much those koi are worth.. Tell your dad that he's got some impressive fish lol.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 03:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

updated a little gonna add some more tonight once im back

the moutain lion."
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

LIGHTING/BULBS

I use two different lights that are pretty much the same thing. One 4x80 T-5(two on/off switches) and one 2x80 T-5(one on/off switch). They are both 5'ft long and are running on the same bulbs in all slots, 10k lum I believe. This is a spot where I need to do more research or get tips as to what bulbs are best to use. I'm not really trying to go for a high light setup but could use a pointer as to what bulbs are best. I was told my lights were a weird watt for being a T-5 so it was hard for me to find any bulbs for it. Here is a few pics below.

I dont have a set light cycle but pretty much start in the morning with 2x80 for 2 hours then 4x80 for 2 hours then 6x80 for 4 hours then 2x80 for 2 more hours. Eight hours of total light is the goal but end up giving 10 cause I dont have timers yet... Im lazy when it comes to the little things that are important for some reason. Kinda like me not having any co² set up yet but well get to that later maybe.

PICTURES OF WHAT I GOT SO FAR

This is my first run of plants I cant even tell you the names of these. I just picked them up at petco. Probably the worst spot to buy plants but I got very impatient and had to get some plants in my tank untill I figure out my co² problem. I picked up the Wood off of Ebay and rocks from my trip to Oregon.

Here is my only picture of it with nothing in it. This was once i just set it up and started to cycle it.

Heres a few shots of after my first plant to try and get a idea of what i want.

The rocks need to be piled up to make a cave. Its home to my Datnoid named George

George will get picked on by his friend if he doesnt have his own house.

the moutain lion."
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Done for the night. Ill add somemore pics tomarrow. I tweaked the landscape a little. My arrowanna decided to pull one of my plants out.

the moutain lion."
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

DANGIT!!!!!! My camera cord seems to be broken! Well I guess Ill go to the store and buy another and add some pictures later today. Dont know how the heck it breaks over night and no one used it.

the moutain lion."
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:25 PM
Honeycomb Master

Nice tank! Cool arowana also
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
That arowana is awesome. Just make sure you lock your cover.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrodi202 View Post
That arowana is awesome. Just make sure you lock your cover.
Thanks, Yes I need to get a beter cover I have rocks on it for now. I was thinking of some type of suction cup I dont want it too solid incause he does hit it hard it wont kill him.

the moutain lion."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode