Pracitce Scaping Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Pracitce Scaping Tank

I've been getting ready for the arrival of a 250G tall tank which I'm planning to use for some discus, schooling fish, and plants.

My planned hardscape is manzanita driftwood and zebra rock. I have a 70G tank that I am using to test all the different systems I am going to put into the tank - UV sterilizer, CO2 diffuser, drip system etc. While I was doing this I figured I might as well practice some aquascaping since the new tank will be the centrepiece of my basement. Never really done this before but have been checking out some of the forums and have, obviously, seen some amazing work.

Anyways, the tank is being used to grow out a pretty good wack of different plant species (~35 or 40 I think) so that I have plenty of selection for the real thing in a month or two.

Here's the progression of the tank over the last two days. This is what I started with prior to getting a whole wack of plants:

The new tank and some closer ups:

Left:

Center

Right

Specs:

Volume: 70G
6x DIY CO2 diffused through powerheads or filters
160W T5HO with split Giesmann midday/aquaflora
PFS for substrate with root tabs and a huge layer of mulm

Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
It looks like you're off in the right direction with the hardscape changes and plant placement. For now the plants really need to fill in, you have to learn how to use the different species with each other, trim stems, and make the plants work with your hard scape. I'm sure things will keep changing as you figure more and more out. Right now there seems to be some randomness in the placement or even a bit of collectoritis going on, but that could be due a lot to the 'newly planted' look. This is all just one persons opinion anyway. I know I'm still learning more and more about placement with every scape or change I do, or new plant I bring in. From the looks of it, even with your first setup, it doesn't look like you were ever really 'random' the way some of us were in the beginning. I used to post plants up just about anywhere with no regard for how they grow or where they should be.

My advice, keep studying others, decide who you think is one of the greats and analyze what species they used, the colors, shapes, sizes, placement, all of that. Just keep analyzing others but make sure to remember the things in nature or life that motivate you personally, so you don't fall into a spot where you're regurgitating something that reflects everyone's ideals but your own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
There definetly is collectoritus going on here. Part of the purpose of the huge number of species was to find out how to grow them and how they would look under conditions that will be in place in my display tank that's on its way.

Looking at it now I think I need to do a bit better transitions between the leaf types of the stems...or maybe just fewer of them.

Thanks for your input. I have been all over the forums checking out people's tanks for ideas. The best sights, I think, are the aquatic gardening contest results (ADA, AGA, etc). Some absolute beauts in there.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Oh yes, I have a whole folder of contest tanks that catch my eye, I dip into it any time I'm hitting a creative wall.

There are quite a few people I follow on here too, for inspiration and ideas. Jason Biliban is one of them, and many others. There are some great 'scapers here and on APC that continually crank out masterpieces, in my opinion. Unfortunately, some of them are not always so active online. Oliver Knott is another one that I've always admired. Some of his stuff is typical dutch style which I've grown away from over time, but every now and then he has a knack for capturing the natural or wild look that interests me the most, not so much like the Amano style 'nature tanks' that have been filling up the contests, from my point of view, but similar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode