29 gallon journal(4-26 overdue update) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
29 gallon journal(4-26 overdue update)

I have already started this journal elsewhere but I am new to this forum and this forum seemed like a much better place to post my planted journal.

Specs:
29gallon

Filter: penguin 350
Lighting: 36w T5
Substrate: Eco-Complete
Co2: None
Ferts: Occasionally Flourish and Excell
Plants:
1 Wendtii, Red (Cryptocoryne wendtii)
2 Wendtii, Green (Cryptocoryne wendtii)
10 Vals, Corkscrew (Vallisneria americana)
1 Java Fern (Microsorium pteropus)
1 Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis)
2 Clover, four leaf (Marsilea quadrifolia)
2 Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis)
and from my previous tanks
2 Amazon Swords
2 Types of anubius
Java moss
Fish:
7 Glowlight tetras
3 zebra danios
2 molly fry from another tank
2 guppies
1 silver hatchet
1 Half-banded rasbora
1 long fin bristlenose plec
Most of these fish, but not all, came from my ten gallon that this replaced. I plan on getting more hatchets, rasboras, and lots of shrimp.

On to the pics:

The new 29 and the tanks it is replacing

cycling

This is what it looked like right after I put the plants in, the tank is much clearer now. This was two weeks ago, I will try to get an updated picture later tonight.

Any comments, tips, or suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Frenchie; 04-27-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
I really like your driftwood. Is that a single piece or several placed together? I'm looking forward to seeing how it's filled in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's a single piece of driftwood.

The four leaf clovers mostly died out quick, the only ones that seemed to be alright were the ones shadowed by the wood. Because of this I moved some of the crypts around and spread out the wisteria. I'm waiting for the wisteria to grow upward, then I will probably thin it out more.

The Java moss and java fern also don't seem to be doing well. They aren't dying but aren't really growing either. My ph is 8 and kh is 5 could this be why, or do I just need to wait it out some more?

All the rest of the plants seem to be growing as expected with low light and no co2, steady but slow.

Last edited by Frenchie; 07-27-2009 at 03:52 PM.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So the Vals have already reached the surface and started bending to the front of the tank. Do I just cut off the excess or pull the whole leaf off like with a sword?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 02:50 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
You can give them a trim. Are you going to do a background with the vals? That would look awesome. Any updates?

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New tankmates are 5 amino shrimp, but the hatchet literally dissapeared last week, I couldn't find it anywhere. I also added a korilia pump that is behind the driftwood. I have it pointed to the left so that side of the tank gets better circulation.

So the good and the bad:

Good:
-The brown crypts seem to be doing really well and the green ones are doing ok.
-The java fern leaves are all starting to grow plantlets out of them. Do it pull these new parts off and root them or just let them be?
-The anubius barti is rooted well
-The anubius nana is doing ok. A glued down a piece with no leaves on the upper left side of the wood and it has 4 small leaves starting, by the next update they should be visable in the pictures
-The vals and wysteria started out growing fast

Now for the bad:
-My sword seems to be doing very poorly.
-The wysteria and vals started growing fast but have now tapered out and have algae growing on them.
-I have either bba or staghorn growing on almost all of the plants. I have started overdosing excell(5mls a day) to try to solve the problem and reducing my lighting period.
-The java moss wasn't doing well so I just pulled it all out.
-The hairgrass is sprouting new blades but the exisitng ones look to be dieing out.

Any help with the above issues is greatly appreciated. I started using leafzone to try to help out the sword and added root tabs a while back but it does not seem to be improving.

On a seperate note I want to add some more plants with some color, any suggestions? I was thinking a red tiger lotus right in the front center.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
I think you are getting concerned too early. Most plants need some time to acclimate to a new environment which can take weeks or months.

The Marsilea leaves are dying out because they are emersed leaves. Let it be there and it will grow runners and new submerged leaves.

Both java moss and java fern are slow growers and lot of the exitsing leaves will die out by the time new leaves grow. Just let it some time.

Dosing excel is fine, but it would be better if you can get a diy co2 or a pressurized one. In long run they will be cheaper options than excel.

Another reason for algae is poor nutrient circulation. Check for dead spots in the aquarium and see if you can increase the filter outlet flow or add a power head.

Good luck!

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:37 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Be careful using excel with Vals in the tank. They are sensitive to it and have been know to completely melt away.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2009, 07:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I think dosing with potassium sulphate would be more beneficial in balancing the ecosystem, since I see some yellow leaves. Concentrating on getting plants to grow good leaves no room for bad algae to grow.

In my tank I found adding potassium balanced things and stopped chronic problem with BBA. Since you have vals', which are sensitive to excell, it would be best to take plants and items covered with algae out and spray with excell.

May I ask what bulb or bulbs you are using over your tank?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Most of the plants seem to be doing ok, I have only been dosing liquid ferts when I do water changes. Probably should have put this in the low tec section.
-Some of the java ferns didnt want to stay on the back of the wood, so i just put them in the soil in the front. Any good way to re attach them to the wood?
-Also as you can see, the sword doesn't seem to have fully adjusted to this tank yet. I was hoping it would fill out that corner of the tank.
-A also tryed adding a red tiger lotus for some color, but i think it still needs some time to adjust to the tank, it was pretty beat up from the maling process.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
Your Cryptocoryne wendtii Red appears to be doing very well and so do your wisteria and vals. I'm not sure what you could use to reattach the java ferns although I use rubber bands myself (I don't think rubber bands would work in this instance because of the wood geometry). The downside of using rubber bands is that they look ugly for a couple of months until they dissolve to the point where they snap off. I know a lot of people use superglue. You could add a root tab at the base of the sword plant. Those are heavy root feeders. Let me know if you are ever interested in swapping plants or going in on a joint order.

Gene Heitman
12 tanks, 201 gallons, 20+ species of fish/shrimp/snails, 52+ species of plants ... 9 years ago I just wanted 1 tank with some fish - what was I thinking

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've tried root tabs, the sword seems to be doing better than when it first got moved over but still seems to be struggling. Maybe this type has just maxed out in height?

Are you resident or student in champaign?
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
You might want to consider dosing your tank with iron. It should benefit both the swords and the crypts.

I live and work in Champaign although I make it over to campus for the monthly fish club meeting. If you are interested go to http://www.champaignfish.com/.

Gene Heitman
12 tanks, 201 gallons, 20+ species of fish/shrimp/snails, 52+ species of plants ... 9 years ago I just wanted 1 tank with some fish - what was I thinking

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lots of changes. Decided to do some rearranging. Switched the location of the brown crypts and the wisteria and thinned out the plants some. I also decided to give up on the Java fern(in this tank at least) for some reason it does not like this tank. After rearranging I had some melting, which I expected but then a big bba and spot algae bloom. Lots of excel and things are starting to get back to normal.

New to the tank are a Brazil sword in place of the amazon I previously had, and bacopa to give some height to the right side. I also got a species of goby and some blue tiger shrimp. Most of the small cherrys disappeared the week I went on vacation, could the gouramis be eating them?

I decided to use the wisteria as a foreground plant and just trim it low. Since it is a fast grower and I will be keeping it at a low height, it should help combat algae growth. Opinions on it as a foreground plant?

Here is the goby, I couldn't figure out the exact species as there are a ton, but the lfs said they like to graze on bba so that is a plus.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:45 AM
Banned

PTrader: (43/100%)
i used wisteria as a foreground and i loved the affect. it will become a pain to keep it at a certain level but to some its worth it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode