14 gallon, planted tank newbie (updated July 4 2009) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
14 gallon, planted tank newbie (updated July 4 2009)

Hello hello everyone! At first I was a bit hesitant on starting a plant journal, cause I was a bit afraid of what people would say but I decided that n the name of making a better, healthier tank I've decided to post up my recent endeavor into makin my first real planted tank!

I say first real planted because I had a lil 6 gallon with some anubias, java fern, and java moss before with basic petco gravel as substrate. I fed it small amounts of excel, and flourish even though I probably didn't need to. It taught me a lot about how to deal with fishes, diseases, fish loss, sticking to a schedule (god damn cynobacteria!), basics of plants living, dying, how meds can kill off plants and just plain having patience.

So the fish in my current 6 gallon will soon be "movin on up" once the new one is cycled... which brings me to my first question... Is it okay to put my fish in there already since it's new planted tank like this? I've added filter floss that has established bacteria from my other tank and have been poppin in about a pinch of fish food since sunday. Also, I read that the plants already have a lot of the beneficial bacteria on them. Can I move my 5 fishies (2 Neon Tetras and 3 cardinals) into my new tank without worry? I've read on fish forums in the past that it should be cycled, however I was told by a friend and fellow member on the forum that it's ok to do so. On top of which I read this article: http://www.rexgrigg.com/cycle.htm saying it was okay to do so thanks to the many plants sucking up amonia and nitrites... To add further confusion though, doesn't the amonia and nitrites being sucked up mean that the tank will never cycle?

Pix of my tank:

My stats (as I know so far):

Filter: Just a simple 10 gallon HOB filter that came with the tank.

Substrate: Flourite

Lighting: I grabbed two CFLs from http://americanaquariumproducts.com/PowerCompact.html. According to their stats, it's a 15 watt with 75 watt equivalent output, around 6400k, and about 62 lumens per watt output. The lighting part of it slightly confused me, because while reading up, there's the watts/gallon rule and then on his site, he talks about LUX and PAL which I have no clue about.

CO2: Uh... None yet, as I've just got this thing up and running on Saturday night. I've used excel in the past, but with java fern and anubias I don't think I really even needed to in the first place.

Ferts: I was think of just using Flourish but I haven't dropped any in yet.

Plants: If you can help me identify some, then I'm all for it. So far I know I have dwarf hair grass from my friend, hygrophila polysperma, I think that's water sprite, i can't tell what the ones on the far left are but I know they're supposedly hardy plants, flame moss, and I think that's pearl weed but I could be mistaken. I do plan on adding some anubias in the foreground to cover up some of the feet of the drift wood. Those scientific names sure are pretty tough to memorize! lol

Hm... That's all I can think of for this hefty post. Thanks for reading, and I appreciate any feed back! Thanks!

Last edited by Nexxorcist; 07-04-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:17 AM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Welcome to PTF!
I would test your tank to make sure that there are no ammonia or NitrItes. If your levels are 0...I would say you are fine to add fish!
Never worry about what others think...we are all here for the same reason! You have to like your tank...everyone else doesn't really matter.
Take the comments/critiques, but most of all have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:19 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
That thing that looks like water sprite might be hygro difformis, I can't tell from the pic.
Welcome!
Awesome wood!

-Chris

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Colton- There's definitely no amonia or nitrites, but the lack of nitrates makes slightly worried but i am prone to worry over nothing. lol

clwatkins10- I've attatched a high res pic in the link. what do you think it is? and yeah, i wish the moss on the drift wood would grow faster. it's gonna look like a lil bonsai plant!

http://www.jtapp.com/tank/4.jpg

Also, I read another thing on these forums. According to one of the articles, they mention that Amano says to not prune/trim any of the plants till 3 months in after they've settled. Is that true or can I start pruning/trimming stuff already?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Week 3, with some new plants, Rotala Vietnam, Anubias petite, and Anubias nana. Started doing twice a week dosages of Excel and Flourish. Plants are definitely growing, and I added 4 Cardinals and 4 Neons! The tank seems to be settling in nicely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_1843.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	14264  

Name:	102_1842.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	14265  

Name:	102_1840.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	14266  

Name:	102_1847.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	14267  

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 06:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Really nice set up!!

You might be interested in nano tanks like those that Olive Knott has done.

Only thing it seems to need is flourish excel.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Really nice set up!!

You might be interested in nano tanks like those that Olive Knott has done.

Only thing it seems to need is flourish excel.
Hey Hilde, Thanks! Glad its gettin somewhere and growin.

I did a search on this forum. couldn't find anything about Olive Knott. Can you point me in the right direction?

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (28/100%)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:46 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks great with the additional plant and fishes now in there.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have on here is a lil rescape as of August 31, 2009.

I might of planted the glosso and baby tears wrong so if I did, let me know! I've been struggling with growing a foreground plant since I've began. Also, if anyone knows how to make Flame Moss grow faster, please let me know!

Flora: Flame Moss, Sunset Hygro, glosso, baby tears, Ambula, Rotala vietnam, anubias barteri, anubias nana, and i think the stuff on the far right is water sprite.
Fauna: 3 cardinals, one of which I think has MB, 4 neons, and 1 amano shrimp
Substrate is Flourite, and I use Excel daily and Flourish once a week.
Lighting is 2x 15 watt CFL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tank083109.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	15108  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode