Simplicity: 4G. KyleT's A Newbie! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)
Simplicity: 4G. KyleT's A Newbie!

Whats that you say? KyleT is a newbie? WHAT!? He hasn't had a tank in almost 5 years?

Well I'm afraid its true folks but not for much longer. I'm diving into the wonderful of planted tanks again! I just purchased a 4 Gallon Finnex setup and have started my research.

Here is the plan, Simplicity! What kind of plan is that you say? The best darn plan there is. My life is pretty hectic. I still have a year of school left and I want this to be a project of relaxation, not stress and heartache thus Simplicity is the name of the game. This is also why i have named the tank simplicity.

No CO2 but I will be comfortable with setting up a simple dosing schedule with Excel. and any other products (some tips would be great, thinking PFertz line).

I've got a semi-clear picture (in my head) of what I want the scape to look like. I really, really like the look of moss covered driftwood with the darker substrates. I'm going to take a trip to my local stores and see what driftwood selections they have. Probably Christmass moss, but it really depends on what I can get a hold of I guess. I'm not sure about other plants yet, nor about fauna.

In terms of substrate I think I'm going with ADA Amazonia Normal.

Thats all I have so far. Any tips and/or guidance would be great. The tank should arrive later this week, will start with the photos then!

Cost List (Updated 6/26/2009):

Finnex 4 Gallon Tank Combo (Tank + Light + Filter): $70.17 Including Shipping

Amazonia AquaSoil 3L: $15.99

Micro Sword x 2: $12
Java Moss: $4

Seachem Prime: $6.99
Seachem Flourish Excel 250 ml: $5.99

Please Send all Support Requests to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by KyleT; 06-27-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Like the tank you purchased. Looks clean. And welcome back to the hobby =)

For fauna, ever thought of maybe trying a dwarf puffer? I've always found them interesting, I enjoy watching them "hunt" snails.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (135/99%)
I always pictured you, being the administrator of this wonderful forum, as having tanks sitting all around your house. Well good luck with the new setup and enjoy your simplistic relaxation!

Current Tank Journals:
~~~~
Retired Tank Journals:
~~~~
~~~~
~~~~

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:09 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
I took a double take when I saw your title. Congrats on the Finnex. Are you planning on having shrimp or fish? Welcome back to the planted side of life. And I agree with Dewall, I figured your computer was a fishtank even!

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
go for fissidens fontanus

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Hey! The boss is getting back into the game! Nice. Can't let this one go idle...

Simple and effective. Some small driftwood patch, little bit of moss, some anubia nana petite, perhaps a few rocks?, small crypt or two as an accent piece?, maybe some needle leaf java fern?

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
Peacock Moss and Flame Moss are my favorites...Other than Christmas moss, what other, if any, types of moss where you considering?

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
What?
Newbie?
No tank in almost 5 years???

I feel used.

I don't think 4 gallons is going to make up for this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Quick update for you guys.

Tank arrived last night (Thursday 24th) in great condition. Looks even better in person. Just like I was going for, nice and simple.

Put Amazonia and water in last night, left it running over night. After work today I picked up some Java Moss and Micro Sword. Java moss because it was the only moss they had, and Micro Sword because it was one of the few healthy plants they actually had. Really just wanted to get some plants in there to help get things cycling.

I really like weeping/christmas/peacock/singapore moss. Is it safe to ship moss in 100 degree texas weather or am I out of luck until the weather cools down?

LFS also had very poor driftwood selection for tanks as small as a 4 gallon. Maybe had 3 pieces that could fit, and even then it would be way too crowded. I put some rocks in there and actually quite like them. Thinking about forgetting the driftwood, we'll see!

Here is a murky shot, will get better ones in a day or two! Yes that is my bathroom, only place I have room right now! If you look closely you can see the shoddy workmanship (hint....slope) of the counters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Murky_June_26_2009.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	14119  

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (21/100%)
its a start! . .I'll be really curious to see how this turns out.

Ehfipimp #340!!!
(2215)

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Oh and just a note, I'm leaving those micro swords in the peat and pots for cycling purposes.

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 05:54 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
A tank in the bathroom.....now that is an idea. With a cool pack, the moss might make it if you get some close by.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

So tank is still cloudy this morning and its making me a little uneasy, especially after reading this thread:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/su...-aquasoil.html

Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingalot View Post
A tank in the bathroom.....now that is an idea. With a cool pack, the moss might make it if you get some close by.
I think I'm going to risk it if I can find someone selling some moss. Can't wait that long!

post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2009, 06:18 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Is the water any clearer than when you put the AS in it?
Glad to hear your starting a tank

-Chris

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

So I couldn't help but cause myself more murky water. I decided to re-arrange things a bit, added another rock, tied the java moss to the biggest rock, and moved the micro swords. Now the waiting game. The game is me sitting frustrated waiting three days for my water to clear up.

Tested Ammonia this morning and it was off the charts (i.e 8ppm+).

Doing some 'scaping.

Cloudy water:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode