5 Gallon Shrimp Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
5 Gallon Shrimp Tank

Hello! I'm new to this forum, but I have experience with a low-tech planted tank. I'm currently setting up a 5g tank for red cherry shrimp, and I'll try to post updates when I can.

Currently, I only have the tank set up with sand, but I ordered the rest of the supplies (excluding plants) yesterday. I used what I have for the tank to try to save money, which was a spare 5g Kritter Keeper. I also covered the back and sides with black paper, though I may remove it if the scratches on the back are still visible after the plants are in.

The plants I'm planning to buy are 2 java fern, 2 crypt. parva, 1 water wisteria, 2 anubias nana narrow leaf, and some java moss.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I bought a piece of driftwood and an interesting rock earlier. It looks like it has a fossil in it, so I'll do the vinegar test if we have vinegar. I'm currently soaking the driftwood and rock in hot water, but I'll put the rock in a separate container so I can test the pH after a while.

edit- Well, I can't use the rock because it fizzed as soon as I put two drops of API Nitrate #1 on it.

Last edited by BlueSky99; 07-10-2015 at 01:06 AM. Reason: update
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is going to be the cutest set-up ever. I am so excited!

What kind of light are you using? What kind of filter? Are you going to use a heater or? Will you be dosing anything? Water changes?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm just curious and might use this as future reference if I ever decide to set-up a 5G tank

Fluval Chi 5G: Honey Gouramis, Betta, & Neon Tetra x4

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regenesis View Post
This is going to be the cutest set-up ever. I am so excited!

What kind of light are you using? What kind of filter? Are you going to use a heater or? Will you be dosing anything? Water changes?

Sorry for all the questions! I'm just curious and might use this as future reference if I ever decide to set-up a 5G tank
I'm excited too, and it's fine I'll be using a 10w Coralife Mini Compact Fluorescent Colormax bulb, Azoo Oxygen Plus Bio-Filter 11 (first time using a sponge filter), and a 25w adjustable Hydor Theo heater. I'll be putting root tabs into the sand since it's inert (and if needed, Seachem Flourish Comp.). I'm not completely sure on the % of water since shrimp are sensitive to changes, but it'll be weekly.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Awesome! I'm so excited to see this come along

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The supplies came in yesterday and the plants came in today. I didn't have enough fishing line for the java moss or java fern, so the moss is just floating in its cup for now so it doesn't go everywhere. Half of the java ferns were too tall for the tank, so I put them in my 10g (they look smaller in photos??). I also got a lot of water wisteria, so I put half of that in my 10g as well. Is there a proper way to plant crypts, because as you can see in the photos they came up a bit after I planted them.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 12:10 AM
Algae Grower

That's really cool. You've made it look like much more than five gallons.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bine View Post
That's really cool. You've made it look like much more than five gallons.
Thanks! I think the driftwood and smaller plants helps with that.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Photo from 3 days ago

And today

I think there's some new growth?

Not exactly sure if that's a plantlet or not

A couple of the anubias leaves seem to have grown, or at least branched towards the light.

We've yet to get anymore fishing line for the java moss. I think I might try to make a matt since I should have enough craft mesh for a small section.

Although this isn't the 5g, I thought I should post a photo of the water wisteria in my 10g. Here's it from 3 days ago:

And today. I'll do some trimming and clean up the leaves that have fallen off when I do a water change today.

Last edited by BlueSky99; 07-20-2015 at 06:58 PM. Reason: -
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's looking real good!!

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 05:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

Crypts

How are the crypts doing? Are they starting to attach to the substrate yet? If they are still loose, try this-

The clumps are a little too big (making it harder to plant), so you can try breaking up each clump into two or three smaller clumps. Then trim the roots down to 1-2 inches. If the roots are too long, it's harder to push the ends in.

Now you can try replanting the root-trimmed smaller clumps. Plant a little deeper than the crown, then gently pull up until the crown is just visible. This will straighten the roots.

Hope that helps!
PS I like the use of a critter keeper, and it looks like you're off to a good start!

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I went on vacation for a week and got back yesterday, so the lights were off the whole time. The water wisteria has suffered quite a bit in both tanks, but all stems are still alive with at least 2 healthy leaves left. I did water changes earlier, but it just now occurred to me that I should trim the stems a bit since the lower leaves are gone. Anyways, I hope they'll perk back up with lighting and ferts.
The water also had a lot of tannins in them, and the driftwood is beginning to grow white fungus. I guess I got lucky with the driftwood in my 10g because it never grew fungus except in a few small holes. I think I'll tie the remaining java moss to the driftwood, though I couldn't do it last time I tried because I was trying not to move the driftwood.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The crypts seem to be fine now, but the wisteria only has 2 stems left (and 3 left in the 10g) and the older leaves are slowly dying. There's regrowth though, so I hope it survives, plus I need to trim the stem so they're not sticking out of the water. There's a couple new leaves on the anubias, and the java moss is beginning to grow. I don't know what to do with the moss still in the container because I have scuds and they will eat moss. I was thinking of putting my betta in there if it's truly cycled and let him go at it with them.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello, sorry I haven't updated in so long. Since my last post, brown algae has been a pain and I'm hoping cutting the light down to 8 hours will help. I also bought a Tetra Whisper Air Pump 10 yesterday to replace the one I've been using that wasn't adjustable. That'll help circulate the water more, and in turn distribute the nutrients to hopefully help reduce algae as well.
Once again, the Wisteria isn't doing well. I have no clue why it has a period of growth then starts dying. On the other hand, the Crypts and Anubias are growing well except for the algae on them. The Java Moss is very sparse and is growing more in length than quantity. The Java Ferns are fine; I think all the old leaves have died/been cut off by now, and the same thing is going on with the ones in my 10g. I put in the remaining stems of the Brazilian Pennywort I bought back in January because they weren't growing in the 10g. So far they're doing better than in the other tank, but they're still very small. I'm not sure when I'll be putting RCS in, but I want to try to get rid of the algae problem just a little bit beforehand since the Seed Shrimp are back and are probably feeding on the algae.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode