2.5G Nano Project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
2.5G Nano Project

Hello Everyone. So this is my first journal of any tank. Just starting to get into planted tanks. Both this one and my 16 gallon are, however, my 16g has shown more progress as its been setup longer.

The tank has been up for about 4 weeks now, just added the first plant the other day.

Right now all it has is:
1 Crowntail Betta
1 Hygrophila difformis

What I plan to have in the end:
  • 1 Anubias Nana or Nana Petite
  • 1 Hygrophila difformis
  • some Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Also want to add a piece of drift wood somewhere in it. Will be setting up a DIY CO2 here tonight or tomorrow. As for lighting, just a 14w incandescent atm, but thinking about a Coralife Mini Compact Fluorescent. Would this light be good to use?

Well, here it is, nothing special ATM I know, but hey its whatever:

Just put the filter in right before this pic, so still a little cloudy water.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New Updates... got a light fixture, running a 8w Aqua-Glo bulb. Also, the Azoo filter has finally got my water waayy clear.

FTS

Betta and wisteria close up

Java Fern Close Up:

The fern has grown those three leaves and roots in about a week with no ferts or co2, but addin ferts soon. Also, the wisteria is having some trouble kicking into gear as you can see.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 06:18 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Welcome to the forum Arkamaic!

Nice setup. Have you thought about replacing your current gravel with flourite or eco-complete, or even just adding a layer of it? It would help your plants out a lot.

The new light looks a lot better btw, good choice!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 06:28 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Nice betta. I can't believe how quickly the water cleared up, that is one heck of a filter. Are you sure that is wisteria and not windelov java fern? I can't really tell for sure. If it is a fern, uncover the rhizome.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the replys guys! =) and the welcome haha.

@Azfishkid

I've been looking into which one to get, I finally discovered some locally so yeah, here in the near future I will. It makes that much of a difference huh? Which of the two would you recomend? Chances are I'll add a layer, as I'd be too lazy to change all the gravel haha.

@sewingalot

Thx! and yeah, I'm impressed by the filter. Runs quite too. And hmm possible, I've never heard of that plant before, but the resemblance is amazing, maybe we could get some more opinions on this?? I have some growing in my 16g as well, its growth is slow in a low-light tank (1.2 wpg, further supports the fern idea i suppose haha) but steady. I'll take a close look when I get home at the growth in my 16, because the new growth is a broad leaf, then splits into thin leaves like that fern. the old LFS I used labeled as wisteria, but now I'm not so sure, I'll uncover the rhizome just in case.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 06:38 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
Post your picture in the plants forum and ask for an id. You'll get a lot of traffic there for it. If it has a rhizome, I would say it is definitely not wisteria

If you don't want to replace the gravel, you can use root tablets, laterite or mix in some flourite. However, with ferns and moss, you don't even need to worry about the gravel.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Quote:
@Azfishkid

I've been looking into which one to get, I finally discovered some locally so yeah, here in the near future I will. It makes that much of a difference huh? Which of the two would you recomend? Chances are I'll add a layer, as I'd be too lazy to change all the gravel haha.
Flourite IMO.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkamaic View Post
Chances are I'll add a layer, as I'd be too lazy to change all the gravel haha.
...Yeah...don't think that you should do that. IMO, it doesn't look too pretty if you mix two completely different substrates. For example, black flourite/eco-complete does not look nice when mixed with regular gravel.
I say just go one way or the other.

Eheim Pimp #430

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode