RAoK Hexagonal Inspiration - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
RAoK Hexagonal Inspiration

I mentioned in my other journal that my girlfriends sister gave me a hexagonal tank for free because she got out of the fish keeping hobby. When I setup my 20 long I set this hex aside in a closet, not quite sure what to do with it. To put this long story into a nutshell, my parents picked up a hexagon stand from freecycle (for, free... woo!) and we just got around to putting a solid top and bottom onto it for fathers day.

I went to the LFS nearby, picked up 40lbs (wayyyy to much I bet) of Eco-Complete and dumped it in along with three stems of Cabomba and the driftwood I was going to use for my 20L. I also used the water from the water change I did today and put that into this tank to hopefully speed up the cycle.

For filtration I'm using my original Tetra Whisper EX30 I had lying around the house. When I pick up a canister filter for my 20L I will be handing down the AquaClear 50 to this tank.

For lighting I'm using a 60w "Agro-Lite" shop light I picked up from Home Depot until I can figure out some good Hexagon lighting solutions. Does anyone know what size lighting I should use for this tank?

For overall layout of the tank I would like to have moss growing on the driftwood, HC as a carpet, some red stems growing in the patch where the Cabomba is right now. How does that sound all?

I will post water parameters when I stop being lazy.

FTS

Super-Awesome around the house lighting. I hadn't installed the filter yet when I took these pictures.

This was planted within an hour of putting the substrate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 05:49 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Looks great - hexagonal tanks are hard to pull off IMO, but it looks like you're on the right track!

How many gallons is it?
Not really sure how to deal with the lighting situation, but i'm sure other people will have ideas. Pendent lighting? LED?

I agree, you should def put some moss all over that driftwood.. it would look REALLY cool!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Meh. Sprung a leak. Albeit small, I just don't have any silicone to use to reseal it. I've emptied out the tank, and it's sitting there now. Quite sad really.

Few more weeks and I'll invest some money into it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode