10g emmersed Experiment (56K warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
10g emmersed Experiment (56K warning)

The experiment started about 3 weeks ago and I didn't plan it initially but a quirk of fate allowed me to try it. I ordered some plants for my new tank but since I was planning to go on vacation I couldn't start it and I didn't have any space for new plants in my current tank. The other reason was HC I recieved in the plant pack- I tried so many times to grow it and I never had any luck with it. So I thought of buying a small tank to temporary put some plants in it. I run to the store, bought a 10g tank for $9 and I picked up our favourite Hampton Bay Lamp from HD.

The tank was placed on a window sill of a window facing the inside of my building (beautiful view on the brick wall from this window, only in NYC) so there is no direct sunlight during the day and my lighting for this tank is mix of natural sunlight and hampton's bay lamp that's on for 8 hours a day. I wanted to try something different so I used regular miracle-gro as a substrate and I capped it with thin layer of CQ.
Those are pictures of an initial setup, but be awarned- it is an experiment, so there is no scape or anything like that, I would treat it as a mini-farm rather than planted tank

One more thing- as a cover , I used thin acrylic panel you can find at HD and drilled some small holes in it for gas exchange.

I picked some plants from my 20g tank as guinea pigs:
-HC
-few stems of sunset hygro
-some cryptocorynes
-anubias barteri + ver nana petite of it
-two corcscrew vals
-java fern
-hairgrass
-blyxa
Actually FYI, pictures were taken 3 days after setup.

The lid

The whole tank

HC

Sunset hygro

Anubias

Hairgrass showing some grow after 3 days!

I was misting every day in the morning with a very weak solution of excel and flourish untill I went on 2-week vacation. I predicted that all plants in this setup are doomed, but to my suprise, it wasn't all true.

It is very late, I'll try to post some comments and pictures of this setup 3 weeks later tommorow...

Ckeck out my photography&travel blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And "Like Us" on Facebook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 05:26 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
I thought that you had drilled holes in your floor at first. Sunset hygro is even prettier emersed. Neat setup.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry but whats the point in misting with excel? The plants get co2 from air anyway if im not wrong, or did i miss something?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
cool. They take zero care.

I have a mat of dwarf hair grass growing in the back yard. They seem to like a sandy loam substrate better. Add more sand in your potting soil next time.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

OK, another day and it's late already, but I'll force myself to upload some pictures.

So,continuing story, after a couple of days I reported following observations:
-Blyxa died-off almost immediately and never kicked back; now I don't have any for my new tank
-Crypts are doing great and that's not a suprise for me
-as I mentioned before in other post, I found that anubias is growing much faster emmersed and in this setup I observed it as well (see pictures)
-Marsilea, which I forgot to add to the list, died-off but grown new leaves that looks different than submersed ones (they actually look like four-leaf clover)
-Dwarf Hairgrass- beautiful and fast grow right from the beggining
-Sunset hygro- grown slower than submersed and stems are leaning closer to the substrate, but overall the plant look very good and healthy
- vals lost all of his leaves but quickly shoot new ones and is growing quite fast
-and my biggest suprise, HC- after 4 days I thought that I've lost it as all except few nodes that was planted melted away and never grown back. Then I came from vacation and saw quite a lot of it on the ground. Nice!!! For the first time I have any success with it. OK, pictures now

Whole tank from above

Anubias with new light green leaves

Crypts

Hairgrass

Another photo of tank

And finally, HC

I'll try to keep you updated in the future.

Thanks

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 04:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
hey that looks great! it looks like you are getting good growth from that stuff right away. i have made a mistake with a lot of my emersed plants to just use straight clay gravels--i think that it is much better to mix in some real topsoil or similar high nutrient substrates, and then cap it with something more inert to control muddiness. are those Anubias growing down into the soil?

i really want to try a setup similar to this one someday. i have an idea to setup a tank with a large footprint (maybe 24" X 24") but very shallow and planted to emulate the small rainforest mud puddles that appear in many biotope pictures that you see. have you seen illumbomb's Website? he has lots of cool pictures of stuff out in nature in Singapore and other places too i think. here is his link:

http://illumbomb.blogspot.com/
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
hey that looks great! it looks like you are getting good growth from that stuff right away. i have made a mistake with a lot of my emersed plants to just use straight clay gravels--i think that it is much better to mix in some real topsoil or similar high nutrient substrates, and then cap it with something more inert to control muddiness. are those Anubias growing down into the soil?

i really want to try a setup similar to this one someday. i have an idea to setup a tank with a large footprint (maybe 24" X 24") but very shallow and planted to emulate the small rainforest mud puddles that appear in many biotope pictures that you see. have you seen illumbomb's Website? he has lots of cool pictures of stuff out in nature in Singapore and other places too i think. here is his link:

http://illumbomb.blogspot.com/
The website you provided is great, thanks!In the future I am planning to do an emmersed setup with real scape. I replanted some of the HC into my new tank, but it seems like it's dying. Anyway, I have a pernament source of HC to experiment with

Thanks

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
yeah, i want to do something just like those pictures in his blog. it would be real easy--just a tank planted with crypts, with just enough water to barely cover their leaves.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode