The experiment started about 3 weeks ago and I didn't plan it initially but a quirk of fate allowed me to try it. I ordered some plants for my new tank but since I was planning to go on vacation I couldn't start it and I didn't have any space for new plants in my current tank. The other reason was HC I recieved in the plant pack- I tried so many times to grow it and I never had any luck with it. So I thought of buying a small tank to temporary put some plants in it. I run to the store, bought a 10g tank for $9
and I picked up our favourite Hampton Bay Lamp from HD.
The tank was placed on a window sill of a window facing the inside of my building (beautiful view on the brick wall from this window, only in NYC
) so there is no direct sunlight during the day and my lighting for this tank is mix of natural sunlight and hampton's bay lamp that's on for 8 hours a day. I wanted to try something different so I used regular miracle-gro as a substrate and I capped it with thin layer of CQ.
Those are pictures of an initial setup, but be awarned- it is an experiment, so there is no scape or anything like that, I would treat it as a mini-farm rather than planted tank
One more thing- as a cover , I used thin acrylic panel you can find at HD and drilled some small holes in it for gas exchange.
I picked some plants from my 20g tank as guinea pigs:
-few stems of sunset hygro
-anubias barteri + ver nana petite of it
-two corcscrew vals
Actually FYI, pictures were taken 3 days after setup.
The whole tank
Hairgrass showing some grow after 3 days!
I was misting every day in the morning with a very weak solution of excel and flourish untill I went on 2-week vacation. I predicted that all plants in this setup are doomed, but to my suprise, it wasn't all true.
It is very late, I'll try to post some comments and pictures of this setup 3 weeks later tommorow...