Return of the 40L - AgNO3 -Update 12/14 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2009, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Return of the 40L - AgNO3 -Update 12/14

Hello, It's been a while since I've had fish. I spent the last 2 years bouncing around the country and I had to sell all my fish back. However, I just got settled in my new place and I decided to restart my old tank. It's a pretty old, scratched thing that I got used from a pet store that was switching to 20Ls. Then my goldfish lived in it, and it sat... Anyway, 2 weeks ago I put the water and gravel, a few days ago the plants went in, and today I got the first fish. Gold White Cloud Minnows. I eventually plan to get some kind of rainbow fishes, more White Clouds, Ottos and shrimp.

I was going to wait a while to get it planted, but there was a buy 1 get 1 sale on plants at my LFS, 40% of lighting, 50% off CO2 reactors + bubblecounters, and 30% off of chemicals. So I kind of went crazy hahaha.

Filter: Penguin BioWheel 350
Lights: Generic 40 Watt fluorescent, Coralife 96 Watt compact florescent (70$ on sale!!!!)
Substrate: 1/2 EcoComplete, 1/2 Gravel
Natural Plant System CO2
Fishes: 7 Gold White Cloud Minnows

As you can see, there was some blue paint I couldn't get off of the back of it. I think I'm going to put a space poster behind the tank.
This is my awesome tank stand, you can buy it at home depot for about 10$.

Last edited by AgNO3; 12-14-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to nickcamp12345
This tank is definately going to look great once it fills in. good luck. oh isnt AgNO3 silver nitrate, which turns your skin purple?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 12:29 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcamp12345 View Post
oh isnt AgNO3 silver nitrate, which turns your skin purple?
yes, it's silver nitrate, but idk if it turns you skin purple lol. Iodine does though, oh wait, that's brown isn't it... idk, it's summer, and I'm on break from chemistry lol.

Nice tank. I used to have some of those fish and I loved them. Great fish
A razor blade will get that paint off lickety split

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to nickcamp12345
Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
yes, it's silver nitrate, but idk if it turns you skin purple lol. Iodine does though, oh wait, that's brown isn't it... idk, it's summer, and I'm on break from chemistry lol.

Nice tank. I used to have some of those fish and I loved them. Great fish
A razor blade will get that paint off lickety split
I just had my chemistry final and passed, with a little help from this website believe it or not. I'll be sure to forget majority of what I learned in no time. my friend touched some and his finger was purple for a week. verrrrry amusing.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Silver nitrate is seriously awesome. Chemistry fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUX_cpFWNso

I have a question, how many Amanos should I put in my tank?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Is there such a thing as too much filtration? Since this used to be a goldfish tank, I have a 350 gph filter on it. When I was shopping around for a canister, the ones that the company recommends for this tank have half of that? What's the deal?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Just got my tank fully stocked.
Emerald Rainbows!
And some Boseman's Rainbow

And a Rubberlipped Plecos
And a half dozen itty bitty baby corys

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 08:44 PM

Rainbows look great, I'd love a few rainbows next for my tank. Tank seems to have grown out a bit more, but a lot seems brown?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm having crazy algae problems because my auto timer didn't listen to my directions and fried the tank for 18 hours straight. It's going away though.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
ouch that must suck..are you reducing light at the moment to help kill the algae? and i love how your water is clear..unlike mine..lol i guess that 350gph filter does come in handy
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Where'd you get those Emerald Rainbows?

I've never regretted over engineering a system, but often regretted under engineering one.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 06:29 AM Thread Starter

Well, I haven't updated in a long time.

I had a ton of rainbows for a while, but they were getting way too big, so I sold back the Boseman's, the Iranian reds, and my white clouds. They were replaced them with Gold Tetras, my favorite fish. My lovely rubber-lipped pleco died when my heater malfunctioned and fried the tank. I got some pea puffers on sale, which are almost impossible to see, they're so tiny. There are also cherry red shrimp somewhere in here. My itty bitty baby corys grew into long-fins and are spawning, but I'm 99% sure that my killer filter would eat anything produced by them.

My rescape was mostly cleaning up leaf debris and plant fragments and just tidying up all of the floating fragments of milfoil. I also added some lovely driftwood and tied the overgrown temple plants to the back of the aquarium so it would grow sideways instead of out of the water and outside of the tank, which it was doing quite well before. This also exposes a third temple plant which should grow into the open area in the upper right of the tank. The fish seem to like the new layout quite a bit and the puffers are staking out the area under the driftwood.

I still need something to do with the left side of the tank, but the fish spend a lot of time in the overgrown parts. I also need a new sucker fish, but I'm not sure which kind to get. I may save up and get a fancy one.

Livestock
6 Emerald Rainbowfish
~18ish Gold Tetras
5 Longfin Corys
5 Pea Puffers
2 Apple Snails
~12 Cherry Red Shrimp

Old, with the all of the Rainbows and white clouds still.

Then I decided to rescape because it was looking pretty junky in there.

Pre-rescape

Now, still cloudy from the changes.

I am amazed at how well the grass stuff has grown in.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Found an awesome piece of driftwood, added some more plants. The rock is just to hold down the driftwood a bit.

Awesome driftwood and gold tetras:

Full tank:

An Emerald:
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Bump. Any advice on making it better?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode