AndrewRogue's 55 Gallon Planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
AndrewRogue's 55 Gallon Planted tank

So, just did a fairly comprehensive rescape of the tank (and still doing post rescape cleaning), so I figured now is as good a time as any to start a tank journal.

Tank Size: 55 Gallons
Lighting: Glo 2x T5HO
Filtration: 2x Aquaclear 55 HOB filters
Temp: 78F

Dosing: Excel Daily, Potassium 2-3 days a week

Flora
Sagittaria subulata
Hygrophila difformis var.
Unidentified Crypt
Anubias barteri var. nana

Fauna
1x Koi Angelfish
~12x Rummynose Tetras
4x Praecox Rainbowfish
1x Bristlenose Pleco
~5x Otocinclus (I actually thought I had lost all of them, but they were recently rediscovered during the rescape. Kinda impressive)
1x Peppered Cory (last of his shoal)
1x Gardneri Killifish (also the last of his shoal)
5x Golden Zebra Loaches

Current Plans

Well, get the planting going again for starters. Tank is looking pretty barren right now. Trying to figure out how to optimize my tank lighting and what sort of dosing I should be doing. A little unsure what else I want to plant in general, though. Would like some more anubias on the wood I'm pretty sure, but otherwise kinda stumped.

Fauna is in a similar position. I keep bouncing back and forth on what to do. I think the majority priority is to get something at the bottom (probably new cories to help the last peppered, but I've considered loaches because I am both tired of pond snails and like loaches).

I'm honestly open to suggestions! A lot of my stock choices have been made simply by what showed up at my LFS and could safely fit in my tank.

I also like the idea of Rams, but I'm upgrading a 10 gal to 20 long and may considering doing that over there instead. I'll also get a journal of that up once I actually set it up in a couple weeks.

Tank pre-rescape

Tank post-rescape

Last edited by AndrewRogue; 09-14-2015 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Updating Stocking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Tragedy =(

Went to San Diego for a few days and had a friend feeding fish. Things were apparently fine on Saturday, but got home today and my big male angel was dead.

Looks like some combination of a heater I was afraid was going faulty and our apartment getting hotter than expected jumped the tank from 80 to 84-85 and got him, possibly? Might have been a belated effect from the rescape that I didn't properly consider. No other casualties so it looks like. The water is very cloudy though (shock, big fish dies and messes with the water), so doing some emergency water changes. Hoping I can keep everyone else okay.

The lesson to take from this, I think, is if I at all suspect something is up with a heater, to replace it. Tank temperature had been stable, so I put it off as the heater possibly slipping a bit and just readjusted the temp to accommodate it.

How do solo angelfish do, especially from a formerly mated pair? Not quite sure what to do with the girl now.

Last edited by AndrewRogue; 07-14-2015 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Added Info
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hm. Another possible problem culprit discovered. Might have happened while I was fussing with things today, but it looks like I knocked the switch on my timer, so it wasn't actually turning the light off. Light on for that long would probably also be very bad.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode