20 Gallon High Low-Tech - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post 20 Gallon High Low-Tech

This is currently a work in progress as I have the tank and stand and have ordered the rest of the equipment and it will arrive in a few days. Here is the overview so far, and I'm hoping for some feedback as to whether or not you believe that this could work.

Equipment:

Tetra 20 Gallon High tank (purchased at Petco during their $1/gallon sale)
Petco Newport 20 Gallon High tank stand (purchased at Petco)
Tingkam 57 LED 50cm White Color 6000k-6500k Submersible Aquarium Light (purchased from Amazon)
Tetra Whisper EX70 filter (purchased from Amazon)
Tetra Submersible Aquarium Heater 100W (purchased from Amazon)
Uxcell Large Double Sponge Filter x3 (purchased from Amazon)
Tetra Whisper Air Pump rated for 60 gallons (purchased from Amazon)

I decided not to list check valves, airline tubing, or a 3-way gang valve. Any other negligible equipment isn't listed either.

Fauna:

Guppies
Possibly RCS (this will be at least a month later)

Flora:

Guppy Grass
Duckweed

Here is what I'm looking for so far:

Is this lighting strong enough to handle these two plants? It's submersible, meaning that I can place it very close to the plants. The tank is also placed near a window so it will receive a small amount of sunlight as well.

How well will guppies and RCS mix? I have never had them as tank mates before. I wouldn't mind if a guppy ate an occasionally shrimplet, but I'm hoping that they will not destroy an entire colony.

Any other additional feedback?

I'm going to check back on this thread often, and will continue to update it regularly. Pictures are coming soon once the equipment arrives!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, so after a few days I decided to change some of the equipment. I took away the sponge filters and the air pump because I was afraid that the flow would be too much with the Tetra Whisper EX70. I have some Guppy Grass and Duckweed arriving this week, as well as with the equipment, and then I will be sure to post some pictures once I have the tank flooded. I think I'm going to start with some guppies and then decide later if I still want to have RCS too.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150703_190904.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	494417

Name:	IMG_20150708_163714.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	494425

Name:	IMG_20150708_163729.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	494433

Name:	IMG_20150708_163746.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	494441

Here is an update of what equipment is being used, compared to what I had originally envisioned:

20 Gallon High Tetra tank
Tetra Whisper Filter EX70
Tetra 100W Submersible Heater
Tingkam 57LED 50cm White Color 6000-6500k Submersible light

I setup the tank (included flooding) when I received the filter and the heater. The light came today, as did the duckweed, so I took the time to add both to the tank and finally take some pictures. The duckweed is floating around the lower water columns because it was just recently added before taking a few pictures. The filter is amazing and silent, the heater works well, and the light is very bright. The tank also receives indirect sunlight, so I'm hoping that both combined will be enough to support duckweed and guppy grass. I will be sure to add more pictures when the tank progresses.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Name:	IMG_20150710_030157.jpg
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	494945

I removed the heater from the aquarium because I have decided to have a fantail goldfish instead of guppies. The aquarium is exactly the same otherwise, but I decided to post a picture so that you could see the aquarium without the heater. The duckweed is doing very well and it is very green. As you can see in the pics, the duckweed loves to collect on the filter guard. I usually brush the duckweed off of the filter every day or so when I'm doing regular maintenance. The guppy grass should arrive tomorrow, and if so, I will be sure to post more pics.

What would be ideal tank mates for a fantail goldfish? The tank does not have a lid, so I'm trying to find fish that would be least likely to jump, kinda like a fantail goldfish.

I'm thinking that the ideal tank mate may be the RCS that I have wanted. I'm a bit curious as to whether or not a fantail would bother them, but I'm not sure. Let me know if you have any advice!

I'm open to any and all ideas, as this is my first tank.

20 Gallon High Low-Tech tank -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you use the heater on there I'd set it at 70F. Goldfish are colder water fish than Tropical fish. Way too much filter unless you were setting up a tank for a Hillstream Loach. But as you can see in the link, it requires lower than 73F water temperatures.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...03&pcatid=3003

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback! What makes the filter "too much"? It's pretty large, but the flow doesn't seem to be too much. The entire surface is barely agitated completely, and the water seems to be pretty still. As for the heater, the problem is that the heater is pre-set at 78F, and can't be changed, or I would have left it in the aquarium.

Bump: Is there a way to change the temperature of pre-set heaters?

Bump: The guppy grass has unfortunately had a delay in shipping, and I should be ready to start adding fauna around 07/20/15. Time to be patient and finish the setup.

As for the flow of the filter, as you can see in the pictures, massive amounts of duckweed love to lodge themselves in the intake. Whether or not this slows down flow considerably, I do not know, but I can see the occasionally duckweed plant floating around very slowly throughout the aquarium as it makes its way to the top after being pushed under. Maybe this is misleading?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Poemist0902; 07-11-2015 at 02:31 AM. Reason: grammar
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, after putting in some serious thought and contemplation, I'm debating changing some of the equipment again. My final goal of this fish tank is to house a few small fish and a fantail goldfish. That being said, here is what I have decided on. It will be about a week before I order the equipment, and then I will post new pictures before and after adding the fish.

Equipment:

AquaClear 50 HOB filter (I would need to order this. This would be to replace the Tetra Whisper EX70 which is creating too much flow.)

Tetra 20 Gallon High glass tank (I already have this.)

Petco Newport 20 Gallon High tank stand (I already have this.)

Perfecto 24" glass canopy (I would need to order this. The aquarium doesn't have a lid and it needs one.)

A clamp lamp and a 6500k CFL spiral bulb from Home Depot (I would need to order this. This would replace the Tingkam 57 LED 50cm White Color 6000k-6500k Submersible Aquarium Light, which is far too bright.) NOTE: The Tingkam light was very cheap and worked very well, but it is too bright for my living arrangements, so if you're looking for a cheap lighting solution and like bright lights, you should give it a look.

Tetra Whisper Air Pump 40 (I would need to order this. I don't have an air pump for the aquarium and need to get one.)

Uxcell 18" Bubble Wall Tube (I would need to order this. I think it would be a nice way to oxygenate the tank.)

...and miscellaneous equipment.

Fauna:
Fantail Goldfish x 1
Small Fish x 2 (I'm looking into this.)

Flora:
Duckweed
Guppy Grass

I still won't need the heater that I purchased which is pre-set at 78F. Since my ultimate goal is cold water fish and my apartment is around 65-70F, I shouldn't need a heater at all. I don't want substrate in the aquarium, in case you're wondering why that wasn't listed. I already have the tank, stand, and plants, which is going to save me some money.

What I learned so far:

This is a super fun hobby that can be expensive if you purchase equipment that you don't need, as I have, and if you decide to change your mind on some tank specifics during the process of setting up the tank, which I have also done. This is what I'm going to stick with, though.

Any feedback? Pictures will be posted in about a week!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So, the new tank equipment will arrive on Tuesday. I will post some pre-renovation pictures and some post-renovation pictures.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 09:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
White cloud minnows are cold water fish.
https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...&hsimp=yhs-006

I think the fantail goldfish stay smaller but regular goldfish need a 50-60 gallon tank
when full grown.
The 23W bulb is about right for that lamp/plants.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Name:	IMG_20150723_195331.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	499225

Name:	IMG_20150723_195322.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	499233

Name:	IMG_20150723_195317.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	499241

Name:	IMG_20150723_195309.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	499249

Name:	IMG_20150723_195304.jpg
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	499257

Name:	IMG_20150723_195222.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	499265

Name:	IMG_20150723_195217.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	499273

Name:	IMG_20150723_195210.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	499281

I apologize for the quality of the pictures. They're taken with my cell phone and will have to do for now. It's been a little while since I've posted more information about the tank, and now seems like the perfect time. Here is a quick overview of what I have setup:

Equipment:
20 gallon high Tetra tank
20 gallon high Petco Newport tank stand
clamp lamp with spiral CFL (6500k) - I forget the wattage
Perfecto 24" glass canopy
Aquaclear 50 HOB filter
KollerCraft Brine Shrimp Hatchery - supplemental live food
Uxcell 18" bubble wand
Tetra Whisper 40 air pump
Miscellaneous tubing, valves, etc.

Substrate:
20lbs of Eco-complete

Fauna:
Golden Cloud Minnow x6 (Golden var. of White Cloud)
Golden Mystery Snail x4

Flora: Marimo Moss Ball x5

The Marimo Moss Balls were added today which is why a few of them are still floating. They should sink within 24 hours. I'm not sure if I'm going to add many plants to this tank or not. Eco-complete is the same price as gravel at my LFS, so that's why I chose it. I'm debating some other plants to add to the tank, but I'm very unsure as to what I should add. I would love a carpeting plant, but I do not want to use C02 or dose anything. Any suggestions?

I'm also debating adding RCS to this tank eventually, but I'm unsure as to how they would be with the Golden Cloud Minnows, and as you can see, the tank doesn't have many hiding places.

I have redesigned this tank many times but I have finally found a configuration that I'm happy with. I'm still learning though and can use all of the advice I can get. Feel free to offer anything you can think of. I will be sure to update this thread often. As for previous ideas mentioned in this thread, if they're not being utilized or mentioned again in this post, then they're probably scrapped.

Here's what I'm hoping to find out:

Super low-tech carpeting plant?
RCS compatibility with Golden Cloud Minnows?

Thanks for reading!

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I just went through and did my weekly tank maintenance. I took out the brine shrimp hatchery and have created an out-of-tank hatchery for now. Other than that, everything is the same. The fish and snails are happy and healthy and the Marimo Moss Balls have sank.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2015, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Name:	IMG_20150725_171421.jpg
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	499673

Name:	IMG_20150725_171452.jpg
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	499681

Name:	IMG_20150725_171428.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	499689

Ok, so the tank is still doing very well. The 6 Golden Cloud Mountain Minnows are doing great and so are the 4 Golden Mystery Snails. The water is crystal clear too. I'm thinking of adding some hiding places and finally adding the RCS that I have wanted. This Friday I'm going to remove the bubble wand and replace it with a large double sponge filter and then add the shrimp in a few days. As I mentioned, they will have hiding places and I'm assuming they will be fine with the algae wafers and fish flakes that I have been feeding the other fauna.

I haven't been able to find any carpet plants that do not require high lights, dosing of fertilizers, or C02. I love the minimalist-look of the Marimo Moss Balls, so I will probably just stick with them for a while.

I haven't been able to find consistent information regarding Golden (or White) Cloud Mountain Minnows being compatible with RCS. Some people have had luck and some people haven't. I'm assuming this depends on how many hiding places you provide and how well you feed your fish. More updates to come once I have added the shrimp in about a week or so.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode