29 gal freshwater with a Betta & several Cherry Shrimp, to start... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question 29 gal freshwater with a Betta & several Cherry Shrimp, to start...

Hello all,

I'm starting a community tank with my very docile Betta & some baby cherry shrimp. I will be keeping the betta divided from the cherry babies until they're older. He's done well with shrimp before, but these babies have been kept in a net nursery so they need to get bigger and established in the environment before I let him in with these guys.
I plan to also put in some African Dwarf Frogs & some schooling fish, but I don't know if I want to do the all too common neon tetras, so I'm still considering my fish options.
But what ever I get must be okay with my Cherry Shrimp (which I hope to breed, and sell locally since the LFS's don't often have them) and my male Betta.

I've been successful with my two 5 gallon planted tanks using Eco-Complete substrate.
This time though, we wanted to use a natural colored sand instead of the black, so I picked up some CarribSea Super Naturals sand in Moonstone.
My concern is that this isn't plant ready like the Eco-Complete is.
The plants that I'm going to be starting with is simple starter plants. Java Ferns, Java Moss, Wisteria, Anubas. These are all above substrate type plants.
Will Seachem Flourish Excel be enough until I can afford Co2?

This is a picture of the 5 gallon and critters that are going to be going into the 29 when it's ready. (Except the ghost shrimp. They're going back to the LFS because they're mean to my Cooper.)
I'm not sure what else I should put into the tank to fill it appropriately.
I'd like to build a nice rock cave structure.
I'd also like to get the kind of plants that look almost like grass that coats the bottom, and some dwarf lily pads. There's lots of plants I'd LOVE to put into this tank!!! But for now, I've gotta stick with what I've got, simply because of affordability. I'll probably have to put in some of my old silk plants until I can get more live plants to fill the space.

Any suggestions I can get will be greatly appreciated!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150702_144441.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	493178  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:10 PM
Algae Grower

Nice tank you have there! What kind of light are you using? The plants you listed require mostly low light. You can refer here

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=880713

He created carpet using low light with no co2 =), if you want to go Co2, that will require some balance of nutrients

Something that could go well with your Beta is Tetras, like neons Tetras, African Dwarf Frogs, Otocinclus Catfish, Apple Snails.

Are you a nature lover? follow me on instagram
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by blesser13; 07-02-2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: error word
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Smile

I have a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 Fully Automated Aquarium LED, Controller, 30 Inch coming, but that'll take about a month so in the mean time I have a Zoo Med fluorescent bulb for plants and a clip on reading type lamp.

Could you re-post that link, please? It said page did not exist. I'd love to see the carpeted tank.

Bump: I love the little Ottos. Though I can't help but wonder if having Ottos and more than 20 shrimp will have enough algae for them all to live off of. =

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Algae Grower

Here is the link

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=880713

Also, instead of Ottos, bristlenose dwarfs are awesome, if you are worried that they might starve, you can add few slice of cucumber sometimes, mine really love it. Shrimps to =)

Are you a nature lover? follow me on instagram
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the fresh link.

How do I know my nutrients are where they should be for the flora and fauna?
Is there a way I can test water hardness?
I, of course, do the standard freshwater tests. But are there more I should be doing?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode