New Member here, First Planted Tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking New Member here, First Planted Tank.

10/2/2015

9/15/2015

7/3/2015 (initial setup)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________
I have started the hardscaping for my 55g heavily planted tank. not heavily planted yet, just got my rocks. feedback would be appreciated!

I will be using a Pennplax Cascade 1500 canister filter

What is on the way;
dual t5 55w 6500 48inch light.
5 bags of flourite
new stand
water test kit
water dechlorinator
200w heater

Once all of that comes in the mail and im ready i will place a 2 day order to liveaquaria.com for the 55gallon megapack ;
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...48&pcatid=2148
Any thoughts on this as well? i know there have been a few threads on this.

I had a 20 gallon planted tank a couple years ago but i moved shortly after so it did not last long so i dont consider it my first.

I am a newb at this so any advice/critique is appreciated!

Thanks!, I look forward to tanking with you all.

Last edited by rragan; 10-02-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Most Recent Photo to top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 12:05 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00NGYOBH0/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?qid=1435363017&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=live+aquarium+plants&dpPl=1&dpID=61aoZB9ZHtL&ref=plSrch
Better deal on plants IMHO. Good luck. Mine is a 55 as well.

From the depths of my substrate!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 02:12 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rragan View Post
I have started the hardscaping for my 55g heavily planted tank. not heavily planted yet, just got my rocks. feedback would be appreciated!

Once all of that comes in the mail and im ready i will place a 2 day order to liveaquaria.com for the 55gallon megapack ;
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...48&pcatid=2148
Any thoughts on this as well? i know there have been a few threads on this.
I like the large rocks you got especially the one on the left. I can't tell from the detail in the picture what kind of rocks, or their color, but the shape and size in the tank look to be pretty good. I have not seen many larger tanks with rocks that I would consider proportionate. I would continue to play with the layout and/or the height when your substrate arrives.

I do not have any experience with liveaquaria but I was looking at the packages before I made my purchase as well. I decided that I would prefer to choose the types and amounts of the plants I put in my tank. Plus I wanted to go with all tissue culture plants to avoid any issues with certain kinds of algae or snails. I got my plants at aquariumplants.com, they are in florida and with the temps how they are now I am not so sure I would go with 2 day from this location. the liveaquaria package you picked out ships from Illinois so it may be a lot cooler there and you could get away with 2 day shipping.

Lastly I did not see anything about CO2, something you might want to look into.

keep the pictures coming

JT

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

will my plants grow slow?

Thanks guys for the feedback! I have thought about C02 but didn't know if It was necessary With about 2 watts per gallon. What do you think? I could do diy, yeast and sugar.

This also gets me thinking, are my plants going to grow so slow with this setup? I do have 2 extra 24 inch fixtures I could add to the mix.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The Amazon Sword will outgrow that tank. But you could enjoy it wile it's small enough to fit and then get store credit for it somewhere.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got my Plants, Light, and Substrate.

I got everything in the mail this week. Planted. its a little cloudy right now.

What do you think?

Also is there anything i should be doing/watching for with a freshly planted tank?
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 03:17 AM
Algae Grower

Awesome start and nice rock arrangement is what I think
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Turned out great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

cleared up nicely

Thanks everyone! Tank cleared up nicely last night!
Ammonia is reading zero so I will be looking at fish soon. Any suggestions on fish?
Ph is 7.4 I may have to lower that.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a question for ya. Are you cycling the tank?? I ask because it is brand new and unless you do a cycle with fish or preferably ammonia you have no beneficial bacteria in your filter, or is the filter already established with bacteria from another tank?
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cycle

No, i am not cycling, the tank was setup yesterday. what is the quickest way to get cycling?

Bump: should my plants not be in a non-cycled tank?
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 12:54 AM
Planted Member

Plants are fine to go in right away, most will probably melt, that's just what they do but will send out new growth that is used to your aquarium.

The fastest way to cycle is to use filter media from a cycled aquarium, in my opinion. Personally if I don't have that, I just wait it out which also gives time for plants to root a bit so fish can't easily knock them out of the substrate. Which may be useful depending on what kind of fish you choose to get.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
very cool hardscape, the rocks look great

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 01:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is it you amazon that is on the far right pretty much against the glass? If so, it's waaaaay to close to the glass. It need more space. I put mine at 7 inches from the left. I wish I moved it even further,

For cycling, wait it out as xmpjx said. It's the safest and gives a chance to the plants to establish.

|
|
|
|
|
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

now i just want to get rid of the amazon. Im looking at the photos, i dont know where i would put it

Tags
hardscape, heavily planted, new aquariums

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode