2.6g Fluval Spec III - Planted High Tech Jungle. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
2.6g Fluval Spec III - Planted High Tech Jungle.

Fluval Jungle

Thank you for all the information I've been able to find here, it has really inspired me!

I'm fairly new to the aquarium hobby but so far so good.
This is my 2.6g Fluval spec of a jungle. I can only imagine as it grows in more. I will probably trim to resemble a nano dutch style aquascape. I've had her running now for 2 months though only planted to look like she does today on 6/22. Started with not nearly enough plants battling algae and learning a lot along the way. She's gone from barren with a large rock scape and just bylxa and DHG found diatoms attacking everything. I got a few more plants and still the scape was empty, just needed more love. Finally she is filled and I'm loving it!

Equipment-

Tank:
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Spec-Aquarium-2-6-Gallon-Black/dp/B009K0ZKAQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435348858&sr=8-2&keywords=fluval+spec+2

Substrate:
http://www.amazon.com/Carib-Sea-Eco-Complete-Planted-Aquarium/dp/B00VVBFFS4/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1435349517&sr=1-2&keywords=eco+complete @ 2-3 inches deep from back to front.

Light:
http://www.amazon.com/Wave-point-Mirco-Daylight-Lighting-Aquarium/dp/B00ADK3AQ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435348976&sr=8-2&keywords=wave+point+led @ 8 hour photoperiod

Heater:
http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-06104-Submersible-Aquarium-Heaters/dp/B000YADYXG/ref=sr_1_8?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1435349058&sr=1-8&keywords=aquarium+heater @ 75F

Co2:
http://www.amazon.com/Generator-Planted-Aquarium-Needle-Pressure/dp/B00Z60O01O/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1435349178&sr=1-1&keywords=d501
Got this off ebay originally for $15 Has been working like a charm, the needle Valve likes to float occasionally, but overall for the price, has provided great co2 output with consistency. Typically I run her at 1bps.
- Soon planning on purchasing a GLA Grow 1, but I still have some convincing to do. Not sure If I'd rather build a better reg in the same $200 range.
Money is a little tight so I'd hate to purchase the wrong things..

Plants:

anubis petite nana
Dwarf Hair Grass
Blyxa Japonica
salvinia minima
Diplid diandra
pogostemon erectus
stauroyne repens
stauroyne porto vejho
ludwidgia rubin
Ludwigia Brevipes
Limnophila Aromatica
Rotala Vietnam
Hygro Pinnatifida

Animals:

1 Elephant Ear Betta
3 Harlequin Rasbora
1 Zebra Nerite

Dosing:
GLA Estimative Index Fertilizer Package

Using these amounts

1ml/Gallon

KNO3 23.1 gm (approximately 4 1/2 teaspoons)
KH2PO4 3.5 gm (approximately 3/4 teaspoons)
Plantex CSM+B 14.5 gm (approximately 3 1/4 teaspoons)
Optional: K2SO4 9.4 gm (approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons)

Mixed all three macro's with 500ml distilled water, Dosing 2ml 3 days a week.
Mixed Plantex CSM+B with 500ml distilled water, Dosing 2ml 3 days a week.(opposite of macros)
My nitrates have been running highish 40-80ppm so typically 2 water changes a week.

This is where I stand as of now, any advice or tinkering would be greatly appreciated! If I am forgetting anything please let me know!

As I learn and build I will continue to update this thread with my experience!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0773.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	491026  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0771.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	491034  

Last edited by Chubbi; 06-26-2015 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Editing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Still Learning to use my cannon rebel t1i so some shots work out and others not so much but bare with me!

You can see the repens hasn't made it very well, Diatoms really killed it along with a Green cory that just swam to much at night. (bashed with its tail)
Need to get more to fill in the area.

Praying this DHG will come back but its looking a little sketchy.. Need to get more.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Am I right in thinking the algae in my tank is Diatoms? The only type I've noticed is on my stauroyne porto vejho, ludwidgia rubin, and was on my DHG but seems to be fading back. It is also I believe what killed off most of my stauroyne repens covering the leafs. Just fearful of this spreading to my new plants, original thought the overall greater plant mass would kill off the diatoms. I only have a Nerite for algae eating, he really only does wonders for the glass. Not sure I want to risk shrimp in such a small tank, plus the betta is in there but i could always move him, I care much more about the plants.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 11:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbi View Post
Am I right in thinking the algae in my tank is Diatoms? The only type I've noticed is on my stauroyne porto vejho, ludwidgia rubin, and was on my DHG but seems to be fading back. It is also I believe what killed off most of my stauroyne repens covering the leafs. Just fearful of this spreading to my new plants, original thought the overall greater plant mass would kill off the diatoms. I only have a Nerite for algae eating, he really only does wonders for the glass. Not sure I want to risk shrimp in such a small tank, plus the betta is in there but i could always move him, I care much more about the plants.
If it's brown and you can rub it off with your fingers then it's almost certainly diatoms. As far as getting rid of them, I think that having good growth is probably just as important as plant mass. Fast growing plants might go a long way towards solving the problem. I also wouldn't do any more water changes than what are necessary to keep your parameters in check- extra might do more harm than good. I've also heard of people leaving their lights off for two or three days as a way of killing algae, but I've never tried it. I think you have to cover the tank with a cloth or something to keep any light at all from getting in.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thinking of purchasing a small Hob filter to aid in filtration for this bad boy, I haven't read up yet. Though just browsing the forums, Could I add Sachem Purigen to the hob to help remove organic waste that may be adding to the situation?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 08:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbi View Post
Thinking of purchasing a small Hob filter to aid in filtration for this bad boy, I haven't read up yet. Though just browsing the forums, Could I add Sachem Purigen to the hob to help remove organic waste that may be adding to the situation?
Are you thinking of buying the HOB because there's not room in the in-tank filter for the purigen? I've never used purigen, but I'd imagine that adding it wouldn't hurt. I looked at it briefly on seachem's website and it seems fine to me. Do you have any idea where you're getting all those nitrates from? That may be part of your problem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode