55 gallon goldfish tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
55 gallon goldfish tank

I've never kept a tank journal online before and all the tanks are getting moved for rearranging and painting and i need a break, so hullo. Nothing fancy but i love my goldfish. They are up there with the puffer for personality.
I'm feeling some guilt that they are so crowded and won't be able to do a bigger tank for about a year.

55 gallon diy pine stand and hood.
Marineland power filter
Pretty low intensity led light
Knock off koralia powerhead, it's on a timer and turns 6 times during the day for about half an hour. They seem to like playing in the strong current but leaving it on 24/7 is too much for the little round guys.

Various sizes of smooth rocks and some mopani wood for hard scape.

I haven't found a plant that my lawn mower of a goldfish won't completely destroy so we have a grow out tank for goldfish plants which doubles as a snail farm for the puffer too, so that works out well. I need to let the plants grow some more, and i want to order a few more types so for a little bit this will be a plantless tank. I'm just glad a bit it emptied moved and set back up for tonight.

Oops. ETA-
the fish
Orange and white ranchu
red cap oranda
veil tail looking orange and white oranda
The one eyed gold wonder
the calico plant destroyer

There's also a dozen or so ramshorn snails.

Last edited by elljay; 06-25-2015 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Adding fishies to tank description
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 01:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Doesn't seem likely that they would be lots of them, but look up a pond shop.
I think actual water lillies might be Goldfish proof but those people would know if any are because Goldfish are frequently kept in the ponds.
Just a thought on it....

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 01:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
I've been keeping fancy goldfish for about 8 years. There are many plants that can be kept with them and not be eaten or destroyed. The main thing is to plant heavy. If it's just a couple plants, the goldfish have something to focus on. With a heavy planting, the abuse gets spread around and plants have time to heal/regrow. Also, every goldfish is different and will like or dislike different plants. The plants listed do well because of their tough leaves or bad taste. Some plants that commonly work well are:
Anubias
Bucephalandra
Onion Plant (Crinum)
Crypts
Swords
Vallisneria
Aponogeton sp. (not madagascariensis)
Tiger lotis (Nymphaea lotus zenkeri)
Java fern
Banana lily (nymphoides aquatica) (this is one I haven't tried)

And there are others. Also, you could try a Riparium.

So how many goldfish do you have? Any tank photos? Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by Acro; 06-25-2015 at 02:04 AM. Reason: .

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Raymond, that's a great idea. There's a wonderful pond place about 45 minutes away. It's the kind of place you can take a picnic lunch and stay all afternoon.
acro, msged You too.. I've been able to keep plants with goldfish til we got the calico menace. I'll have to get some pics of them,and i didn't add fish description and other info earlier.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Grr, theInternet ate my post.
This is my third round with goldfish. I had my first 3 for about 12 years until there was an equipment failure. I had the second group for about 7 years until i lost them in a breakup. I've had these five for a year and a half. They are my little fish puppies. I want to keep them for a long time without disaster this go round.

I should test the water more frequently, usually happens around once a month or if the fish do anything weird. Haven't caught any ammonia or nitrites since it cycled.
Nitrates bounce around in the 20ppm range
ph around 7.2
add about a tbs of reef salt per gallon

I add around around a half gallon to one gallon bag of plants per week when i do the Saturday 50% water change Calico monster eats them and also just shreds them leaving me to scoop bits and rinse the sponge filter constantly.
I usually get a second water change in on Wednesdays.

They're piglets and i haven't found much of anything yet they don't like. They have a few types of pellets and flakes. There's a bin in the freezer with meat and veggie foods. They get sheets of Nori. I'll parboil whatever types of veggies people are eating. Sometimes they get some of my oatmeal or breakfast gains. They'll happily eat small earth worms. basically they eat All The Things. Then all the plants they shred and eat in the process.

I'll try to make a list of what they'd mowed through. It will help me, i want to do a plant order soon. I also want to do some changes like switching to a canister filter.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode