125 Gallon River Tank *updated 8-7-09* Looking for opinions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
125 Gallon River Tank *updated 8-7-09* Looking for opinions

I dont really have a background story at all for this tank. I started off with a 30 gallon long for my first tank back June of 08. I decided I wanted something bigger. I had looked around for quite a while on craigs list and the ones that kept popping up were over priced or in really bad shape. I got this one for a good price at a local fish store thats been around forever and has a lifetime warranty on leaks. Its a 125 gallon 6ft long. I picked it up last January by itself and have been slowly piecing it together since then.

Equipment
  • 125 Gallon Tank 72 x 18 x 21
  • Sumo Regulator pressurized co2 diffused with Rex style reactor
  • Fishneedit.com light fixture 6ft 8x39 Geissman bulbs 4 x midday 4 x flora
  • Rena xp3
  • Hydor 300 watt inline heater
  • Aquaclear 110 HOB
  • Aquaclear 70 powerhead, Aquaclear 110 powerhead powering River Manifold

Fish
  • 13 Tiger Barbs
  • 2 Clown Loaches
  • 3 Albino Tiger Barbs
  • 1 Gold Nugget Pleco
  • 2 Otos
  • 2 Panda Corys

Heres the tank. Its propped on my work bench because I didn't have a stand for it yet.

I finally found a stand for it a couple months ago on craigs list. I was in process of taking the drawers and doors off for sanding.

Sanded and primed ready for painting

Me and my little guy painting away

This is my river manifold. I used 3/4 ID pvc tubing. For pumps I picked up an aquaclear 110 off ebay for 20 bucks brand new. I also picked up an aquaclear 70 for 30 bucks new off ebay as well I honestly wasn't sure how I was gonna hook these up or how much flow I was gonna get.
After trying both pumps hooked up I've decided I am probably gonna get a second aquaclear 110. I hooked both pumps up using 1" ID flexible tubing.

My Driftwood that is currently soaking hopefully sooner than later. Picked it up from badcopnofishtank. Great guy to deal with.

Since this is primarily being setup for my clown loaches. I decided to go with pool filter sand for my substrate to cut on costs. I just couldn't justify spending 300 dollars on brand name sand. After 3 1/2 hours of cleaning last night and a little filtering in the tank today it turned out pretty good I thought.

For my lighting I picked up a light fixture from fishneedit.com I got the 6ft 8x39watt t5ho light. Great customer service. Had a couple questions after I had placed my order so I emailed him. And he called me within a few hours. I was only expecting an email reply. Very nice guy to deal with. I had picked up a catalina light but was starting to get a bit over budget and sold it to my buddy for a salt water tank he was planning to set up. It's really a decent light for the price. My only gripe is I am not sure yet how I am gonna mount it above the tank. The light stands it comes with are to small for the rim of the tank. As for bulbs I am ditching the 10k they came with, I have 4 geissman midday 6k bulbs and 4 geissman flora bulbs coming on thursday.

update 6-6-09

My new bulbs came in the mail and I got my lighting hung. Got all my fish and most of my plants I want added. Everything is hooked up and running. This is by no means really scaped yet. I kinda just through the plants in and started planting where ever I found a good spot to put it. My driftwood is still not sunk yet so I will be rearranging once that is done. I still need to tweak the co2. Its taking a good 3 hours before the drop checker on the opposite end of the tank is turning green/yellow. I just bought a new camera, picked up a sony a300 dslr. I am still learning how to use it so the pics are by no means professional. Was playing around with the settings trying to figure it out. But heres some pics of my fish and a tank shot so far.

Full Tank Shot

My Cory Pandas

Another one of my cories

Just a picture I took

My Gold Nugget Pleco

Updated 8-7-09

Here are some new pics I have been working on my layout. I could use some opinions/suggestions. Open to ideas for some different plants to try. Keep in mind my water is kinda hard.

Thanks

Last edited by idontknow; 08-08-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 04:15 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
This is awesome! I am totally enamored with your filtration.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 04:18 AM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
dude child labor laws jk

looks like an interesting build. it must be great having a tank that huge!

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 05:11 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Now this is cool! Big tanks are the bomb! I can't wait to see more progress!

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Neat, I've seen that idea before but I've never seen anyone actually use it.

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Good choice on bulbs. I think you'll be happy with them.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool !! My dad had a tank just like this filled with African Cichlids when I was about 6-7 years old. I couldn't keep my eyes of of it Im definetely subscribing to this one.

BTW; What brand is that Awesome chopper you got back there? It looks awesome too

[/SIGPIC]Want to go nano , but donīt know where to start

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Many plants...little time

PTrader: (66/100%)
I can't wait to see this progress...
I am interested in your river idea...pretty cool!

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Subscribed!

I wanted to build a river tank with my 125G - but I chickened out.
Maybe when I get lucky and score a 180G or larger, I will definitely make a river tank.

Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
man, that tank is gonna be awesome! the loaches are gonna be hella happy!

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamadman View Post
BTW; What brand is that Awesome chopper you got back there? It looks awesome too
Its a Yamaha Warrior 1700cc, that's my other other baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltonorr View Post
I can't wait to see this progress...
I am interested in your river idea...pretty cool!
I got the idea from here

http://www.loaches.com/articles/a-river-runs-through-it

and

http://www.loaches.com/articles/rive...anifold-design

I am hoping to get my lights mounted tomorrow. I ran some chain down from the ceiling. I was hoping I could shove some S hooks into the holes that were drilled to vent the light but they wouldn't reach. I'm going to go to ace hardware tomorrow and see what they have for some metal wire to loop through it.

Thanks for all the comments.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:22 AM

This is how I hung my fish need it lights...get stainless so it doesn't rust.

post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Did you just take those end caps off and drill through?
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:27 AM

it's about .5" in there was just enough room to drill through...very carefully.
I didn't remove anything.

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh so there is no nut on the other side securing it in place?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in