110 Gallon Geosesarma / Shrimp / Orchid / Fern Paludarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
110 Gallon Geosesarma / Shrimp / Orchid / Fern Paludarium

Hardscape / Hardware build finished last week.

Planting "finished" today.

Now to let everything grow in.

Flora and fauna listed at the bottom.

Make sure to click the image for full size, looks like they were compressed strangely.

FTS:

Left Side:

Right Side:

Dendrobium loddigesii:

Dendrobium unicum

Geosesarma sp.

Plants (Terrestrial):
-Assorted Ferns (Sorry, not sure of the species)
-Selaginella sp.(This species is sort of an iridescent blue)
-Ficus pumila
-Moss mix (Consists of NEHerp sheet moss, Taiwan Moss, 5-6 temperate species, 3-4 fern species spores)
- Begonia "strawberry"
- H. soleirolii "Baby Tears"

-2x Phalaenopsis sp.
-2x Oncidium sp.
-Dendrobium unicum
-Dendrobium loddigesii

Plants (Aquatic):
-Cryptocoryne wendtii "green" and "brown" (Currently undergoing crypt melt, fun)
- Java fern "needle leaf" and "windelov" (scavenged from my axolotl tank)
-Taiwan Moss

Animals:
-3x Geosesarma sp.
-18x Fire Red Cherry Shrimp
-3x Amano Shrimp

Background is Ecoweb/Epiweb covered with Spyra from folius.com.

Filtration is a broken SunSun HW-302 being pumped by an Eheim 2000. One layer of filter floss and 2 layers of biomedia.

Lighting is one Current Satellite Plus, I will probably get a second fixture, either another Sat+ or possibly a Finnex Ray2.

Aquatic substrate is Miracle Gro Organic Soil (sifted) capped with "Aquatic Planting Media" bought at a pond supply. Appears to be calcinated clay almost identical to Turface MVP.

Substrate for the land area is Turface MVP capped with crushed leaf litter, capped with whole leaf litter, collected outside (Boiled and baked as per usual).

I think that's everything.

I plan on getting at least 10 or so Geosesarma and hopefully get them breeding, as well as some more cherry shrimp.

Plant-wise, I will likely get a few more vivarium-appropriate orchids species. I would also like to get some Bucephalandra sp. for the aquatic/emergent area.

Critiques/Questions/Comments are all welcome.

"Everybody wanna get big, but nobody wanna lift these heavy-ass weights." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 07:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
nice! did you get that little crab from monster aquarium?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchilee View Post
nice! did you get that little crab from monster aquarium?
Yep, picked up the last 3 they had. Wish I had time to go last week when they got 'em in!

"Everybody wanna get big, but nobody wanna lift these heavy-ass weights." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren B View Post
Yep, picked up the last 3 they had. Wish I had time to go last week when they got 'em in!
they're gorgeous! i wanted to grab some home, but it's a little pricey.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2015, 11:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
That is really cool. I tried my hand at paludariums, but it's much harder than it looks. Your tank looks really nice already which is a feat for initial setup. Is it a closed setup? Are you using a misting system or regular spraying?

That tank really tied the room together
Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member #13

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
That is really cool. I tried my hand at paludariums, but it's much harder than it looks. Your tank looks really nice already which is a feat for initial setup. Is it a closed setup? Are you using a misting system or regular spraying?
Thanks!

What do you mean by "closed setup"? If you mean that all hardware is contained within the tank itself, then no, since the water runs through a canister filter before flowing onto the drip wall. If you mean that all the air recirculates inside, then yes, but I plan on adding some vents to the top to help a little with front glass condensation. The small circulation fans definitely help out, though.

Unfortunately a misting system is a bit out of my budget for now (otherwise I would love to have a MistKing setup) so I'm currently spraying it down manually.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
110 Gallon Geosesarma / Shrimp / Orchid / Fern Paludarium

Nice work, subd

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 12:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
One of my favorite quotes... "everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, but no body wanna lift these heavy-ass weights!!! I do it though! Ronnie was truly inspiring!

That tank really tied the room together
Fraternity of Dirt
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech
Member #13

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 09:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
good lookin setup

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bought an absolutely beautiful Plakat Betta today (shoutout to Pets Place in Nanuet).

Not completely sure I want to add him in yet, I don't think my RCS population is large enough to support his predation. *Might* have to just order some more shrimp to keep up with him since he is a stunner in person and would make an excellent centerpiece inhabitant.

RCS Shot

Blue Selaginella

SIDE NOTE

Some of the crypts have almost completely melted away, is this normal? When can I expect to see new growth pop up?

Last edited by Warren B; 06-21-2015 at 12:26 AM. Reason: question

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode